PDA

View Full Version : Static Electricity ??

Rumbler
November 19th, 2014, 07:40 PM
Assuming one does not have a handy used dryer sheet . . . or a fancy grounding strap to wear . . . what is your "favorite" way to get rid of static electricity?

I had a really close call in the reloading room today because I had noticed the static electricity buildup and didn't do anything about it. Until I reached for a pan of powder on the scale and saw the spark (looked like a spark plug firing!) that ignited it jump from my finger to the pan.

No shit. That was it for the day, for me. 8|

Tack Driver
November 19th, 2014, 07:42 PM
Lotion you ashy bastard.

Dale Gribble
November 19th, 2014, 07:47 PM
Copper pipe shoved up your ass and properly grounded?

It hurts less than an explosion.

Rumbler
November 19th, 2014, 07:48 PM
Lotion you ashy bastard.

Thanks for the suggestion. But I am not convinced that putting lotion on all the reloading stuff is a good idea. Wouldn't that make it really difficult to get all the powder out of the scale pan? :chinscratch:

Rumbler
November 19th, 2014, 07:49 PM
Copper pipe shoved up your ass and properly grounded?

It hurts less than an explosion.

"The voice of experience". I know it when I hear it. Thanks Dale!

Just one question please; should I put lotion on it?

crawdaddy34
November 19th, 2014, 07:51 PM
. . . what is your "favorite" way to get rid of static electricity?

Either of my kids or my wife.

Specifically an ear when i can sneak up on one of them...

Dale Gribble
November 19th, 2014, 07:52 PM
Just one question please; should I put lotion on it?

I would, but thats a personal decision.

On a serious note, I've heard that fabric softener mixed with water spayed on the floor in the area you are working helps.

Tack Driver
November 19th, 2014, 07:53 PM
Thanks for the suggestion. But I am not convinced that putting lotion on all the reloading stuff is a good idea. Wouldn't that make it really difficult to get all the powder out of the scale pan? :chinscratch:

Put it on your hands dummy.

Dale Gribble
November 19th, 2014, 07:55 PM
Put it on your hands dummy.

What does that do other than give you nice girly hands? Btw, nice girly hands man...

Billythekid
November 19th, 2014, 07:56 PM
Actually the lotion suggestion is a good idea. Were I work ESD (electrostatic discharge) is a very big deal. We provide our production workers with special ESD lotion. This is used along with grounding straps and ESD monitors. Our benches are grounded, each bench has a ESD resistant mat, special wax for the floors, lab coats, etc..... All it takes is one little spark to ruin a circuit board.

Mikec2003
November 19th, 2014, 07:57 PM
Lotion you ashy bastard.

"It puts the lotion on it's skin or else it gets the hose again"

bumblebee
November 19th, 2014, 07:59 PM
I ran a wire from my Mec 900 to the screw in the middle of the outlet (holds the front plate on) It throws accurate loads and the bottle never has flakes on the sides

Bodo
November 20th, 2014, 10:04 AM
Is static discharge capable of igniting powder? Gunpowder is very, very stable. I wouldn't worry about it.

Billythekid
November 20th, 2014, 10:20 AM
http://www.ctmuzzleloaders.com/ctml_experiments/sparks/sparks.html

Greg Kulbick
November 20th, 2014, 10:59 AM
It puts the Joe Dirt in the hole!

Jafar
November 20th, 2014, 11:34 AM
This entire thread I have envisioned Rumbler shuffling around the reload trailer in a pair of pre War of Northern Agression wool socks, mumbling reload data and discharging static in the mirror while repeating "snot locker."

Tack Driver
November 20th, 2014, 11:37 AM
This entire thread I have envisioned Rumbler shuffling around the reload trailer in a pair of pre War of Northern Agression wool socks, mumbling reload data and discharging static in the mirror while repeating "snot locker."

..........rockin' that disheveled static hair.

Jafar
November 20th, 2014, 11:39 AM
..........rockin' that disheveled static hair.

After rubbing a Piggly Wiggly Happy Birthday balloon back and forth in it...

LMAO

Tack Driver
November 20th, 2014, 11:41 AM
After rubbing a Piggly Wiggly Happy Birthday balloon back and forth in it...

LMAO

...........checking the windows every 45 seconds for Dream Defenders.

Dale Gribble
November 20th, 2014, 11:42 AM

He is dressed in your vision? Or is he just wearing socks?

Of fuck, never mind. I guess I don't need lunch today.

Jafar
November 20th, 2014, 11:50 AM
He is dressed in your vision? Or is he just wearing socks?

Of fuck, never mind. I guess I don't need lunch today.

What happens in the reload trailer, stays in the reload trailer.

Dale Gribble
November 20th, 2014, 11:51 AM
I need to eyewash my brain.

Jafar
November 20th, 2014, 03:11 PM
I need to eyewash my brain.

It's just a group of guys, shoving projectiles into reamed and trimmed brassholes. Don't make it awkward, Dale.

Jafar
November 20th, 2014, 03:35 PM
My favorite way..........

I ground my self out.

See Jafar, It was not a foolish prank, I was grounding myself out to the camp porch.

Dirty Mike and the boys call it the "Soup Kitchen."

Capt. mike
November 20th, 2014, 04:39 PM
Mine is bolted to wood, but wood should discharge the static buildup if you touch it before touching metal, I remember my physics teacher would use a wooden ruler to discharge the static after using one of those crazy static machines that makes your hair stand on end.

Tack Driver
November 20th, 2014, 04:57 PM
Okay, on the lotion thing;

Just keeping your hands moisturized goes a long way. That said, in the winter/fall, I was having a hell of a time getting shocked 50 times a day getting in and out of cars. I always had static cling between my legs and pants. I did some reading and the seasonal change was the dead give away. Your skin is always drier in the cooler, lower humidity seasons. That dry skin, and the clothes moving against it's surface causes nearly all of your static.

Lotion on my legs, arms, and hands after a shower eliminates static for me all day. YMMV.

I don't do that shit year round, BTW, and I can find an assistant a lot of the time. :goodjob:

Jafar
November 20th, 2014, 05:01 PM
And I thought I had the gayest string of posts in this thread.

Tack Driver
November 20th, 2014, 05:02 PM
And I thought I had the gayest string of posts in this thread.

I'm willing to take the ridicule to try and help Rumbler not blow up his reloading trailer/Ferguson protest hideout.

Tack Driver
November 20th, 2014, 06:58 PM
Wow, admitting on a gun forum to a daily regiment of moisturizing......is.....wow....let me see if they make a cake that gay.......

Hey man, we can't all be cripplingly homophobic.

Tack Driver
November 20th, 2014, 06:59 PM
mom and dad walking through the airline gate at any moment and I do not think they would understand if I had a gay ydbc on the google when they walked up...

Nah, they would.

Rumbler
November 20th, 2014, 07:28 PM
Is static discharge capable of igniting powder? Gunpowder is very, very stable. I wouldn't worry about it.

Yes. Absolutely. Most positively for sure. I did it about 24 hours ago.

It is true that smokeless powder is very stable. But that in no practical way correlates to its flammability. Think newspaper. Extremely stable. But also pretty darned flammable! Drop a hot spark on newspaper and it'll burn a hole in it. Smokeless powder, drop a hot spark into it and it will ignite.

crawdaddy34
November 20th, 2014, 07:47 PM
Let's get one thing really clear. I am not scared of faggots.... I just hate them. There is no phobia here.
But I love you and you soft supple static free skin.

Jesus says hate is bad.

God bless.

Rumbler
November 20th, 2014, 08:00 PM
http://www.ctmuzzleloaders.com/ctml_experiments/sparks/sparks.html

I will not even pretend to know the why/how of this. Sure looks like that guy knows what he was doing.

And it annoys me greatly that I have no choice but to dispute his conclusion. But I've got burns on my fingers and a singed scale pan I can't just ignore. :(

Bodo
November 21st, 2014, 05:56 AM
Yes. Absolutely. Most positively for sure. I did it about 24 hours ago.

It is true that smokeless powder is very stable. But that in no practical way correlates to its flammability. Think newspaper. Extremely stable. But also pretty darned flammable! Drop a hot spark on newspaper and it'll burn a hole in it. Smokeless powder, drop a hot spark into it and it will ignite.

Correct. Heat is what starts the reaction. Very little heat is produced with static shock.

Rumbler
November 21st, 2014, 08:14 PM
I went and bought a box of dryer sheets at the dollar store. They were on sale for a dollar.:hrmmm:

Worked like a million bucks.

. . . no girly smelling lotion required.:P

Though I do have to admit that the sheets didn't do sheet for my ashy skin. :headslap:

GrantA
November 21st, 2014, 08:21 PM
OK who snuck in and added some wiring to Rumbler's scale?