PDA

View Full Version : RCBS ChargeMaster 1500 Powder Scale and Dispenser

Rumbler
November 18th, 2014, 10:32 AM
RCBS ChargeMaster 1500 Powder Scale and Dispenser Combo

Anyone own or have used one of these before? What do you think of them? Do they "repeat" consistently? :chinscratch:

I see that they are expensive as hell, I'd probably have to sell something to buy one, but it is just murder to sit down and try and load a hundred rounds of rifle cartridges using the Lee "perfect powder measure". :drooler:

Cattle/Horses
November 18th, 2014, 10:39 AM
My experience 20 years ago was that the automated powder dispensers didn't do good with pelleted power like IMR 4350. Course I was getting the charges to with in a 1/4 gr.

Johnny
November 18th, 2014, 11:15 AM
I am using the lyman 1200dps,it is as good as I could ask for.It is almost a 100$ less that the rcbs.I have weigthed numerous charges after throwing the charge in the pan an found it to be dead nuts on using all types of powder.Have been using it for about 12years.

mapper
November 18th, 2014, 01:43 PM
I have mainly used mine for stick powders, and yes it is consistient. And almost as fast as I can put the powder in the case, put the pan on the dispenser, and seat a bullet the next charge is ready..(24 gr varget, 42 gr 4064)

A simple mod for not throwing many overcharges is to take a small piece of a large diameter straw and put in the exit tube, this keeps the kernels of powder from clumping up and dropping at once. A whataburger straw works great, you only need a piece about an inch long..

A pair of scale pans would be great.

I know they are more coin than some other colors, but I think the rebate helps even that out 50$ off 300$,

there is some info on changing the programming on them to speed them up, but a lot of that depends on how much powder weight is dispensed, before it goes from fast to slow to trickle..

I haven't tried it for ball powders, or powders that meter well in my powder measures, or small volumes.
But it is a lot better than throwing a charge a little low and trickling each one up in a scale pan.

One of these, a power trimmer, and a 5 position motorized case prep tool, make the tedious aspects enjoyable.

Fishtale
November 18th, 2014, 03:34 PM
I love mine. I also check mine with a set of regular scales and it is "right on". I know it is a little pricey but I don't think I would reload without them. Mapper is right they will fill the pan very quickly. And just in case it throws too much powder it will let you know. Sometimes stick powders such as IMR 4350 are hard to meter. You do get an occasional over-charge (the sticks seem to stay together) but the scales tell you and I just put the powder back in the hopper and start again. I have seen one similar I think made by Hornady that is cheaper but I don't have any experience with that one.

namkcol42
November 18th, 2014, 05:27 PM
I have the rcbs and like fishtale said, I wouldn't reload without it. Your can borrow mine if you want to try before you buy.

Rumbler
November 18th, 2014, 07:31 PM
Thanks for the offer. But I find you guys credible enough to not feel the need. :)

mapper
November 18th, 2014, 10:05 PM
So, I guess I'll tell you the cliff notes version.....when you use one, a bright light comes on over the bench, and you hear angelic singing...I swear jonas was using one of these when he was playing with the chat settings...

Once you have one, the beam scale will start to get dusty..for powder that does'nt meter well, or rifle loads, and tell yourself that was some of the best coin you spent on equipment.

mapper
December 13th, 2014, 06:44 AM
The red one is on sale at midsouth shooters..
http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item/00005050068/Lock-N-Load_Auto_Charge_Powder_Scale_and_Dispenser_110220 _Volt
I haven't tried it as the color scheme on the bench is mostly green..

Rumbler
December 13th, 2014, 07:24 AM
I settled on the green one a couple of weeks ago. Nachoz shooting supply had them on sale cheapest (cheaper than Amazon!) + a $50 rebate from RCBS.

If sliced bread was as slick as this thing you wouldn't be able to keep it on the plate. :cool:

It has cut my rifle loading time in half - maybe more. The specifications says it is accurate to 1/10 grain. But the chronograph says it is doing better than that. :banana:

mapper
December 13th, 2014, 07:34 AM
Only thing I would do diffrent to mine is have 2 matched weight scale pans..

Did you do the short piece of straw in the output tube?

It makes charging rifle cases enjoyable... every time I use mine, I think gee, I'm glad I bought this..

Rumbler
December 13th, 2014, 10:38 AM
No, didn't know anything about the short straw thing.

I've run everything from BC(C)2 to 4064 and haven't noticed a problem. What does the straw fix?

mapper
December 13th, 2014, 01:08 PM
Supposed to help eliminate clumping at the end of output tube and overcharges..

I heard it on the internet, so you know it has to be true, they can't say things on the internet that are'nt true....

I never did a before/after test, , and thought well it is a small piece of a straw, so it is free, if it turns out to be bull I'm not out anything.. so I put it in.. if you are not having over charges don't worry about it..

FLT
December 13th, 2014, 04:29 PM
I use mine in conjunction with a powder measure . I throw a charge that's three to five grains lite and finish it up with the dispenser / scale . When you are loading cases that hold a lot of powder it saves time.

Rumbler
December 13th, 2014, 04:41 PM
FLT you must throw some hellacious charges! The scale is rated 1500 grains and the dispense thing to at least 999.99. Dang, you are starting to get as bad as me . . . ;)

I use mine in conjunction with a powder measure . I throw a charge that's three to five grains lite and finish it up with the dispenser / scale . When you are loading cases that hold a lot of powder it saves time.