PDA

View Full Version : While sitting in class

fsustang03
November 14th, 2014, 12:43 AM
After sittingn class for over an hour and a half tonight I got the bright idea to hop on youtube and start searching out melting lead in ingots. I came across a nice video talking about a guy that got over 4k pounds of lead out of a sailboat keel. And it got me thinking with the sail boats in wakulla, if I could find a cheap sailboat with a keel. Bam all the lead I would ever need. Has anyone ever thought about that method instead of using tire weights?

Billythekid
November 14th, 2014, 01:41 AM
Never really thought about the keel. I knew they had lead in em, but never put much thought into it. Would be a nice chunk to have.

JMW4570
November 14th, 2014, 06:38 AM
That will work, but you'll have to cut it up somehow and even though its soft, it still will be pain. Just a reminder to all who are considering working with lead, make sure you do it in a well ventilated area and observe a strict hygene protocol. I have a buddy who's been through kelation therapy twice and its not that fun...

Rumbler
November 14th, 2014, 08:47 AM
Exactly. A high velocity entrance wound is not the only way lead can kill you. And from what I have seen, the high velocity entrance wound is a much less miserable way to die than the alternative.

GTOguy06
November 14th, 2014, 09:43 AM
A buddy of mine owns a tow yard and scrap business in town. He bought one of these. He said he turned a profit on it but it was too much trouble for his time. The length was the biggest problem. I think he said the one he bought was over thirty feet long. So.... the point I am getting at is this: yes, it is a cheap way to buy a few hundred (or thousand) pounds of lead. But without the proper equipment, its harder to deal with than you would think. If this is something you want to do, I will not stop you. Good luck and God bless

Dale Gribble
November 14th, 2014, 09:48 AM
Keep in mind that many keels are encapsulated, so you will need to do research to find out what the keel is really made of. Some are steel, or iron, some are cement.

waukeenahbob
November 14th, 2014, 12:45 PM
Would also be good to know what the alloy would be. I have a few hundred pounds of plumbers lead... but in reality it is only good for black powder or shot unless you mix in some other stuff...

Lead wheel weights are the easiest but they are getting hard to find.

fsustang03
November 14th, 2014, 02:19 PM
Ya I don't see me actually doing it but I was like dang that is a great idea of you can find one aftet a hurricane for very cheap. I would have never thought of that though.

Capt. mike
November 17th, 2014, 12:04 PM
Problem is many will be a cast iron keel, sailboats are awesome and the biggest pain in the ass you will ever deal with. There are much easier ways to get lead than trying to get a sailboat. I do know that some keels were made with depleted uranium and that would make some cool bullets.

Rumbler
November 17th, 2014, 01:27 PM
Yeah but that dang DU is so hard to melt in a casting pot! Gotta keep adding thermite . . . . and shits . . . :p

GrantA
November 19th, 2014, 03:16 PM
the ones I have seen offered for sale recently have been priced around $0.50/lb and were 2k lbs + if I remember right. I think a jackhammer would be the way to tackle one. If you get one I'll bring down a jackhammer on a saturday to see how it does!