PDA

View Full Version : 9mm

Jmoorewar
November 9th, 2014, 01:37 AM
Ok, so I want to try reloading. I'm saving brass from my 9mm to take a crack at it. Just want to load fmj for target practice. What do I need to buy to load normal 115 grain ammo? Bullets, powder and primers? also who wants to give me a lesson on there press before I take the plunge?

Rumbler
November 9th, 2014, 02:37 AM
Bullets, powders, primers. Honestly there are far too many options to list in one post. No kidding.

As for giving you a lesson on the press . . . there are certainly more experienced reloaders here than me. But having loaded a few bazillion rounds of various 9mm cartridges, and having at least three different styles of reloading presses set up all at the same time and at the same place, I feel fairly qualified to volunteer for that.

I'll PM you to see if we can work out the logistics to get together at the same place at the same time. ;)

JMW4570
November 9th, 2014, 08:26 AM
DSH runs reloading classes as another option.

marcus6176
November 9th, 2014, 07:57 PM
Justin, just the components and you can reload them at my house. I reload 9mm now

Jmoorewar
November 9th, 2014, 11:21 PM
Justin, just the components and you can reload them at my house. I reload 9mm now
Done. I'll hit you up in the near future, I'm saving my brass now and will have a shit load after the end of this week. What powder do you recommend and where?

marcus6176
November 9th, 2014, 11:45 PM
Bullseye is what I use.

Rumbler
November 10th, 2014, 09:32 AM
Accurate Arms #5
Hodgdon Clays
Hodgdon HS-6
Hodgdon HP-38
Hodgdon International Clays
Hodgdon Universal
Hodgdon Titegroup
Hodgdon Trail Boss
IMR 700-x
IMR SR7625

What is it they say; diversity is the spice of life?;)

These are the powders I either am using currently or have used in the past to load 115gr 9mm.

My point being . . . don't get all bummed out if you go to Kevins or DSH and they don't have exactly the powder you went in there for.

Heck, I'm working up a load using the ends off of kitchen matches.;)

Dale Gribble
November 10th, 2014, 09:42 AM
I use Unique. 5.5grn with an Xtreme 115gr plated bullet. Cheap, and pretty accurate.

Capt. mike
November 10th, 2014, 12:09 PM
I hurt some feelings on the rifle side the other day with my 115gr plated bullets with 5.7 of sr4756. I think I almost shoot that 92 better than my rifles

Capt. mike
November 10th, 2014, 12:18 PM
Accurate Arms #5
Hodgdon Clays
Hodgdon HS-6
Hodgdon HP-38
Hodgdon International Clays
Hodgdon Universal
Hodgdon Titegroup
Hodgdon Trail Boss
IMR 700-x
IMR SR7625

What is it they say; diversity is the spice of life?;)

These are the powders I either am using currently or have used in the past to load 115gr 9mm.

My point being . . . don't get all bummed out if you go to Kevins or DSH and they don't have exactly the powder you went in there for.

Heck, I'm working up a load using the ends off of kitchen matches.;)

Rumbler any idea why in most of the loads I can find all the plated and lead loads call for powders like accurate #.... V-3N37, R silhouette, ect but the jacketed loads have all the Autocomo, blue/green/red dots, titegroup, universal, 7625. Ect. Is it the burn temperatures or something, I just run what I brung and Im down to my limited supply of sr4756 but Ive been able to kind of wing it and have loads that worked great with everything from 115 9mm, 135 and 180 .40s, to 230 ball for .45

Tack Driver
November 10th, 2014, 12:20 PM
The great thing about loading/reloading 9mm is that it's pretty much all inert and harmless. You can drink, smoke, watch TV, ................who cares?*

*A clear and obvious joke that, apparently, still needs a disclaimer that it is a clear and obvious joke.

mapper
November 10th, 2014, 12:26 PM
The great thing about loading/reloading 9mm is that it's pretty much all inert and harmless. You can drink, smoke, watch TV, ................who cares?

So.....what is ​YOUR load data....mine is 4.0 gr of bullseye with a 115 lrn in 9, and 4.0 of bullseye with a 200 lrn in 45 acp.

And when I load, there is only 1 container of powder on the bench, the one I am loading from.

Tack Driver
November 10th, 2014, 12:27 PM
So.....what is ​YOUR load data....mine is 4.0 gr of bullseye with a 115 lrn in 9, and 4.0 of bullseye with a 200 lrn in 45 acp.

And when I load, there is only 1 container of powder on the bench, the one I am loading from.

I load money into a cash register, and the attendant gives me loaded rounds.

mapper
November 10th, 2014, 12:31 PM
Ok, so when you start loading, I might give your insight some consideration..maybe..but I'll trust my load books first.

SB
November 10th, 2014, 12:39 PM
4.2gr BE with 115 gr jacketed always works for me. Lead I back it down to 4.0.

Greg Kulbick
November 10th, 2014, 12:45 PM
I have some 9mm brass you're welcome to have. You'll need some abrasive media, though, they all have skirts on them.

Tack Driver
November 10th, 2014, 01:09 PM
Ok, so when you start loading, I might give your insight some consideration..maybe..but I'll trust my load books first.

It was a joke about how weak of a round the 9mm is on the internet, Seadog.

JMW4570
November 10th, 2014, 01:15 PM
Boolits:
http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/Dept/Reloading/Jacketed_Pistol/_Point_355_Dia?FilterBy=InstockOnly&CurrentPage=1

Dale Gribble
November 10th, 2014, 01:16 PM

Don't poke a man with 3rd degree burns on his willy. It might not end well.

Tack Driver
November 10th, 2014, 01:18 PM
Don't poke a man with 3rd degree burns on his willy. It might not end well.

Good point.

:escape:

Johnny
November 10th, 2014, 02:04 PM
Yep,Tack driver you finially got it right about the 9mm,that proves even pygmys can be educated.

Rumbler
November 10th, 2014, 02:31 PM

If it was just on the internet it would be worth dismissing. But it is not. Not even close. :wavey:

Tack Driver
November 10th, 2014, 02:41 PM
If it was just on the internet it would be worth dismissing. But it is not. Not even close. :wavey:

It's stopped gunfights and killed motherfuckers everywhere but here.

mapper
November 10th, 2014, 02:48 PM
Tack,
While 38 special is a weak round to some, there is a lot of case capacity...so a double or triple charge of powder is not out of the realm of possibility.....

The merits of the caliber should be discussed in places other than the reloading section, as some may actually think that you have real knowledge in this area. It is better to be kept a bullshit free zone, as it is serious. There is enough areas of the forum for you to play in, that opinions wont cause any any damage other than hard feelings.
This isn't one of them though.

You did see the link that I sent you about someone loading pistol powder in a rifle case, he will be lucky to have use of his hand.

Tack Driver
November 10th, 2014, 03:01 PM
Tack,
While 38 special is a weak round to some, there is a lot of case capacity...so a double or triple charge of powder is not out of the realm of possibility.....

The merits of the caliber should be discussed in places other than the reloading section, as some may actually think that you have real knowledge in this area. It is better to be kept a bullshit free zone, as it is serious. There is enough areas of the forum for you to play in, that opinions wont cause any any damage other than hard feelings.
This isn't one of them though.

You did see the link that I sent you about someone loading pistol powder in a rifle case, he will be lucky to have use of his hand.

1. I understand your point. I put a disclaimer on my post for the humor impaired.

2. Thanks for the advice and the link. Only an idiot would not see that reloading can be dangerous.

3. I'll "play" where I want.

Rumbler
November 10th, 2014, 03:01 PM
Rumbler any idea why in most of the loads I can find all the plated and lead loads call for powders like accurate #.... V-3N37, R silhouette, ect but the jacketed loads have all the Autocomo, blue/green/red dots, titegroup, universal, 7625. Ect. Is it the burn temperatures or something, I just run what I brung and Im down to my limited supply of sr4756 but Ive been able to kind of wing it and have loads that worked great with everything from 115 9mm, 135 and 180 .40s, to 230 ball for .45

I wish I had a way of testing my theory, I would love to.

But I believe that it is a combination of burn rate and pressure.

Remember that smokeless powder does not "explode" when ignited, it changes from a solid to a gas. So there are actually two factors to be considered in that process; the speed at which the conversion occurs, and the volume of gas created.

A "fast" powder may very well convert to gas very quickly, but not create the volume of gas necessary to propel a bullet at very high velocity. The net effect being; lots of heat and a slow(er) moving bullet - obviously.

. . . but just when one says "dang! That makes sense!" Rumbler says; hey there are fast powders out there that make a LOT of gas, and there are "slow" powders that make a little gas and some that make a lot of gas.

Bottom line is that a jacketed or coated bullet tolerates heat and pressure better than a "raw" lead bullet because of that coating - be it copper, brass, or some synthetic hi-tech chemical.

Thus lead bullets tend to like powders that have a slower solid to gas conversion rate so the bullet can get farther down the barrel - away from the heat caused by conversion. But is it also worth considering a very fast powder that produces a lower volume of gas - and I am sure you are seeing why: once the conversion process has occurred the heat generated has peaked - it is not going to continue to rise. Even raw lead can take surprisingly high extremely short duration heat.

Selecting - wisely and safely - the best power to use for a given barrel length and bullet weight is where the art in reloading is to be found. It is my seldom humble opinion that only time and experimentation creates reloading artist.

. . oh, and some "luck" can be handy to have too.:approve:

Rumbler
November 10th, 2014, 03:20 PM
It's stopped gunfights and killed motherfuckers everywhere but here.

As have darkness, snow storms, rock slides, mud slides, hurricanes, and tsunamis.

But one does not find wise folks carrying them for self defense.:cooler:

Tack Driver
November 10th, 2014, 03:23 PM
As have darkness, snow storms, rock slides, mud slides, hurricanes, and tsunamis.

But one does not find wise folks carrying them for self defense.:cooler:

Okay, that's actually clever.

Rumbler
November 10th, 2014, 03:24 PM
Thanks!:)

Curtiss
December 4th, 2014, 08:53 PM
I'm loading 9mm with 115gr plated fp and sr 4756 4.9gr powder and it is not cycling in a glock 26.
Is the top end of the scale 5.2 or higher? Or should I shorten the oal with flat point 9 mm below 1.07"? RIA 5" cycles fine

Rumbler
December 4th, 2014, 09:15 PM
You didn't mention the generation of the G26.

In the gen 4 G17s (and 19s) we use in the basic classes using 115 grain bullets I have found no published powder load that would function the gun reliably. In order to get them to run reliably I have to throw the published load data out the window.

As it turned out, in the case of plated bullets, the 'balance point' where the pistol would just cycle reliably and the bullets breaking up on the way to the target was just so thin as to not be something either the instructors or myself were comfortable with.

I could get back to "safe" with 124 grain bullets, but with 147 grain bullets there was an actual safety margin that allowed for (safe) mass production and made the pistols run like tactical tupperware sewing machines.

So . . . take that for what it is worth. If I have loaded 100 rounds of 9mm I have loaded a couple of hundred thousand.

Oh! This problem does not exist with the gen3 or earlier guns. They eat the 115 grain bullets like candy loaded to (slightly) less than max loads.

Johnny
December 4th, 2014, 10:13 PM
Plastic!

Tack Driver
December 4th, 2014, 10:34 PM
Plastic!
Invaluable input there Johnny :goodjob:

0utlaw
December 4th, 2014, 10:35 PM
pygmy!

0utlaw
December 4th, 2014, 10:43 PM
:hitit:

bumblebee
December 6th, 2014, 04:03 PM
DSH runs reloading classes as another option.

I bought my MEC 9000 from them. I took the basic shotgun reloading class. They set up my machine for the 30,000+ shells I have reloaded this year, and have been great people to deal with.

Capt. mike
December 7th, 2014, 11:47 PM
Curtis I noticed the same thing, my theory is when using powders like 4756 that are on the slow side the plated bullets just don't allow the powder to build enough pressure to get the burn right. I have gone over max loads just to get them where they were healthy but right where they start to working good they go full retard with just a hair more powder. I like plated bullets because they are cheap but ive had better luck with heavy bullets like 230 ball or 180gr in 45acp and .40. 115 plateds are great but its just hard to get them dialed in being that light. I just bought a lb of longshot and I'm gonna try and get something that works to finish off all these plated but then I'm getting either 147 bayou bullets or some real jacketed 115 bullets and load them to 1300 plus