PDA

View Full Version : Accessing the Forum Securely.

jonastio
November 4th, 2014, 12:12 AM
So, I've got SSL enabled on the forum and have switched it over. You might see the https://forum.capitalcitygunforum.com thing pop up. I found a cheap SSL cert provider ($25 for 5 years!!!!) that's backed by Comodo. I'm trying to figure out what parts aren't coming up cleanly, but should have it figured out soon enough.

For the non-technical types, what this means is that your connection to the forum is now encrypted. That means when you use the site at work, the only thing they see is that you're accessing the site. They cannot intercept any of the traffic. Nobody can intercept your login to the forum when you're using public WiFi. This is a really good thing and something that I've been hoping to do for a good long while but it was cost prohibitive ($80-$500 yearly).

I'm pretty stinking excited about this one.

jonastio
November 4th, 2014, 01:05 AM
Okidoki, if you have a problem while using Chrome and there's a big ugly red cross mark on the url of the page like there's a warning, do this. Close your browser and re-open it and then come back to CCGF. You should get a nice green lock on the page. Old stuff was cached which caused the error to show incorrectly. Sometimes you might get a yellow triangle, but that's no biggie. Could just be a link to an image or a youtube video.

jonastio
November 4th, 2014, 02:09 AM
Looks like it might be a day or so for your tapatalk connections to be fully secure. Tapatalk caches the site URL and the cache will need to clear on your device.

CoachLongShot
November 4th, 2014, 06:55 AM
Nice work. Thank you. For what it's worth the site comes up fine with no certificate warnings on my Windoze 8/IE 11 machine.

Coach.

polebarn
November 4th, 2014, 07:30 AM
Working good here;thanks for the extra security.

NJC
November 4th, 2014, 08:28 AM
works like a champ ! Good Job Jonas

Johnny
November 4th, 2014, 08:32 AM
Way to go slackass!

thedishdoc
November 4th, 2014, 09:52 AM
Keep up the mediocre work brother!

Johnny
November 4th, 2014, 11:09 AM
Hey slackass both times I have attempted to log in this moring the url message has come up takes two attempts to login

jonastio
November 4th, 2014, 11:11 AM
Try typing in the correct password the first time then. :D

Johnny
November 4th, 2014, 01:55 PM
Hey slackass this is still happening .it sucks

jonastio
November 4th, 2014, 02:24 PM
Is this on a computer or on a mobile device? You gotta give me some context here. I can't divine an answer.

Dale Gribble
November 4th, 2014, 02:25 PM
Is this on a computer or on a mobile device? You gotta give me some context here. I can't divine an answer.

I think its a mobile device. Vietnam era walkie talkie.

Johnny
November 4th, 2014, 03:56 PM
Hey dribble this is a laptop that I have not had problems logging before.It has done it again.Have to log-in twice before I get acess.If I want any shit out of you I will rattle the bars on your damn cage.Or b etter yet piss in it.

polebarn
November 4th, 2014, 04:06 PM
When in doubt clear your DNS cache.

Johnny
November 4th, 2014, 04:45 PM
Hey,slackass same problem!!!!!!!

jonastio
November 4th, 2014, 04:52 PM
Have you restarted your browser? Have you restarted your computer? Did you start from the url https://forum.capitalcitygunforum.com? Do you see any error messages pop up? What browser are you using? Have you tried clearing the browser cache (goggle your browser name and "clear cache" like "how to clear cache internet explorer").

Johnny
November 4th, 2014, 06:39 PM
Have restarted computer same damn problem

HarleyBrent
November 4th, 2014, 07:40 PM
Bonk it firm with your fist...if it doesn't work repeat progressively harder until it works :hammertime:

0utlaw
November 4th, 2014, 08:24 PM
Win8 and Chrome working 5x5

Rumbler
November 4th, 2014, 08:29 PM
I find it hard to believe anything running win8 is 5X5. You must have a very low "5" bar. :roflmao:

Johnny
November 4th, 2014, 09:06 PM
Maybe I need to shoot it with my old .45

polebarn
November 4th, 2014, 09:09 PM

Just throw it at it.

YankeeFingergasm
November 4th, 2014, 09:23 PM

Nooooo....just get one of the grand kids to fix it for you.

0utlaw
November 4th, 2014, 09:27 PM
I find it hard to believe anything running win8 is 5X5. You must have a very low "5" bar. :roflmao:

I have pretty low standards.................look at the company I keep :cooler:

Rumbler
November 4th, 2014, 09:29 PM
Damn. Great point ! :headbang:

Frady
November 4th, 2014, 09:47 PM
What would it take to make a mirrored version of the forum that doesn't have the word gun in the address? I'll contribute.

jonastio
November 4th, 2014, 10:16 PM
That's a lot harder to do. I don't think I could do that via SSL with a separate name (I'd probably have to purchase a separate cert). Then there's browser compatibility issues when you're dealing with a single IP address serving up multiple SSL certs (on top of a really squirrelly web server configuration). I've tried to find variants of CCGF but nothing is really available. In addition to that, vBulletin just doesn't really play nice with using multiple domain names. There's probably a way around it, but there's no guarantee that it wouldn't revert back to the full name.

polebarn
November 5th, 2014, 08:59 AM
We could change the name to the "Peace through Strength" forum.

Rumbler
November 5th, 2014, 09:03 AM
If one were a shooter and new to this area, what would one tend to search Google for in an attempt to find a local gun forum?

Really, the answer to that is what the forum needs to be named.:dunno:

Dale Gribble
November 5th, 2014, 09:20 AM
Tallahassee Gun Forum?

Frady
November 5th, 2014, 09:22 AM
Mike, I wasn't suggesting a name change. I was just wondering about a mirrored forum (like TGF did a few years ago) to avoid sending red flags to HR.

Dale Gribble
November 5th, 2014, 09:31 AM
Hey dribble this is a laptop that I have not had problems logging before.It has done it again.Have to log-in twice before I get acess.If I want any shit out of you I will rattle the bars on your damn cage.Or b etter yet piss in it.

Great.

Now if you really want folks to help answer the question. What operating system/version and browser/version?

BlueBronco
November 5th, 2014, 11:58 AM

Hey Johnny, rebooting your computer doesn't mean kicking it across the room again.

Johnny
November 5th, 2014, 12:24 PM
Thanks BB,I did shut it down.I do not know enough about bthe computers to do anything but use them>May take it to the pin shoot for spare target.

Dale Gribble
November 5th, 2014, 01:09 PM
Thanks BB,I did shut it down.I do not know enough about bthe computers to do anything but use them>May take it to the pin shoot for spare target.

I know a lot about computers, and shooting them is STILL one of the best solutions.

Johnny
November 5th, 2014, 01:11 PM
Hey dribble the only thing I know about this thing is that it is windows7.

Dale Gribble
November 5th, 2014, 01:15 PM
Hey dribble the only thing I know about this thing is that it is windows7.

Shoot it now before it spawns.

Dale Gribble
November 5th, 2014, 01:15 PM
In your browser go to Help and About and you should see a version.

What is the error, I didn't see it in your posting but I think you tried to post it.

Tack Driver
November 5th, 2014, 01:33 PM
Shoot it now before it spawns.

I think I skipped 7. Is it that bad?

thedishdoc
November 5th, 2014, 02:16 PM
Where I work we just finished the migration from XP to 7.

jonastio
November 5th, 2014, 02:43 PM
I like windows 7. It's pretty solid and I get good performance out of it.

Rumbler
November 5th, 2014, 03:34 PM
It has taken a few years, and I get updates for security holes DAILY, but Win7 has indeed stabilized pretty well at this point.

Windoz8 . . . that is a whole different story. Every month or two I have to wipe all the laptops Talon has with it on them and reload them to the "out of the box" configuration. They just stop working. Then of course, it takes several hours to reload and reconfigure all the (Talon) business specific stuff. :rolleyes:

Johnny
November 5th, 2014, 04:19 PM
Hey slack ass this is the message that I receive(invalid redirect(http://forum.capitalcitygunforum.com/forum.php)

polebarn
November 5th, 2014, 04:27 PM
manually type in the address with the s at the end of http.

Tack Driver
November 5th, 2014, 04:32 PM
Search is fucked up.

polebarn
November 5th, 2014, 04:41 PM
Search working for me. FWIW.

Dale Gribble
November 5th, 2014, 07:02 PM
Hey slack ass this is the message that I receive(invalid redirect(http://forum.capitalcitygunforum.com/forum.php)

You need to copy and paste the error, or do a print screen and post the picture. I click on your link and everything looks cool. You can also take a picture with your phone or digital camera and post that.

jonastio
November 5th, 2014, 07:19 PM
Okay, I think I might have found a workaround Johnny. Let me know if you're still having issues.

Johnny
November 5th, 2014, 09:10 PM
it is working fine right now thanks

jonastio
November 5th, 2014, 09:20 PM
Cool. Glad it worked.