PDA

View Full Version : 9mm plated bullets?

Capt. mike
October 29th, 2014, 11:48 AM
Got some berry's 115 gr plated round nose bullets to load up. I found a green dot recipe for 4.7 grs for a 115 FMJ for a velocity of 1150 in what I assumed to be a 4" barrel. According to berrys their plated bullets will give 5-8% increase in velocity over the same powder charge for given bullet weight. Ill be shooting these out of a 5" PT92 (same as a beretta 92fs/M9) so im assuming the bullet is going to gain another 50-75 fps with the longer barrel.
So with a max of 4.7 and 115 fmj ~ 1150 FPS
plus 8% increase of the plated bullet ~ 1242 FPS
then any increase from the longer barrel 50-75 FPS they would be hitting over 1300 FPS

I had some problems with .40 having hot loads randomly veer off in crazy directions and had horrible accuracy but anybody tried these in 9mm.

Ive loaded about 50 up using 4.5 which was about half way between min and max with the green dot but id like these to be pretty hot to simulate the +p that I run in the gun.

Rumbler
October 29th, 2014, 01:18 PM
Captain, you are pushing the envelope on those bullets. Not that I am finding any fault in doing that for 'practice' ammo.

Barrys says . . .

We guarantee our Standard Bullets to handle velocities up to 1,250 fps, and up to 1,500 fps for the bullets designated as TP (thick plated).

I admit that seeing one pistol shot make a bunch of little holes in paper definitely has a fun factor . . . . :banana:

AB
October 29th, 2014, 01:23 PM
Some plated bullets are extremely sensitive to the crimping process. I experienced it with my .40 and I stopped shooting plated altogether because I could never resolve it to my satisfaction. The problem I was having seemed to be the plating was shedding causing weird aerodynamics, leading to unpredictable results downrange.

The best I ever got them to behave was by using a chamber check guide and only putting enough taper crimp on the round so it would enter the chamber check smoothly. Still wasn't a 100% fix, so I went to moly coated bullets.

Rumbler
October 29th, 2014, 01:26 PM
I'm telling you guys; Gator Snot is where its at.

http://www.bayoubullets.net

:)

AB
October 29th, 2014, 01:32 PM
That's exactly the brand I use.

I've liked them so much I'm planning on abandoning my practice of shooting jacketed for matches and lead for practice and shooting the more-expensive-than-lead-but-cheaper-than-jacketed bullets full time. The time I save working up and chronoing new loads each match make the cost worth it.

Capt. mike
October 29th, 2014, 01:34 PM
I figured if 4.7 with a fmj does 1150 dropping down to 4.5 grs should keep it under the 1250 mark and with such a fast powder the extra inch on the barrel shouldn't add as much extra velocity as others I use like autocomp and sr4756. I wouldn't even flirt with any type of crimp but I don't see the need for it either. I really need a chronograph. I do wonder if they guarantee them to 1250 I wonder how hard you could run them before they start to come apart.

Capt. mike
October 29th, 2014, 01:40 PM
Thats about what I paid for the plated loacally, how hot can you load those bayou bullets?

AB
October 29th, 2014, 02:00 PM
Don't know the top end. I keep my .40's around 950 and I don't have problems.

Also, I tried Green Dot for a while back in 2000-2001, but I got wildly inconsistent velocities shot to shot. Nothing I did settled it down so I quit using it after 2 lbs.

Capt. mike
October 29th, 2014, 02:07 PM
To get anything consistent with green dot, especially with small charges in the 4-5 gr range you have to hand weigh each charge. The flakey powder just doesn't meter well and will vary .1-.2 grains if you don't keep an eye on it but for pistol bullets consistency isn't a huge concern. I just really like it because I can use it for just about anything and use half the powder of some others I use.

Don't know the top end. I keep my .40's around 950 and I don't have problems.

Also, I tried Green Dot for a while back in 2000-2001, but I got wildly inconsistent velocities shot to shot. Nothing I did settled it down so I quit using it after 2 lbs.

AB
October 29th, 2014, 02:16 PM
... but for pistol bullets consistency isn't a huge concern

It is for me because I have to submit my ammo to a chronograph at every major match. Also, if the recoil impulse is inconsistent it keeps me from accurately "timing" the gun/recoil/return to battery/trigger press that is crucial for shooting fast and a 50-70 fps difference is one I can feel.

Admittedly if I was shooting under different circumstances than that I might have been willing to press ahead, but I needed it to meter well and shoot consistently.

Rumbler
October 29th, 2014, 06:00 PM
Thats about what I paid for the plated loacally, how hot can you load those bayou bullets?

I'm loading the 147gr truncated cone like they were 115gr round nose*.

That is pretty darned hot. :nervous:

And I have to say that with many tens of thousands of them down the pipe on the Glock class guns not a single one of them have had any lead buildup that could be seen by eye. . . and yes, they do get cleaned. At least every few thousand rounds. :o

* - remember that I am loading for a completely different purpose - to simulate full house defensive ammo, as hot as it can be bought.

Capt. mike
October 29th, 2014, 06:25 PM
Rumbler thats what im going for

Capt. mike
October 29th, 2014, 06:38 PM
I imagine the cost per round would be cheaper wouldnt take much powder for those heavy bullets

Rumbler
October 29th, 2014, 07:28 PM
OK. As it is applicable then I'll let my recipes out of the bag . . .

5.4gr of AA #5, 147gr TC gator snot bullets.

Problem with that powder is availability. I ordered 16 pounds LAST November. Two weeks ago the distributor called to tell me the order was ready to ship if I still wanted it.

So . . . I started experimenting again. And I found something I like even better; IMR SR7625. It is cheaper, more available (at least through our distributor), provides a "just right" case fill, no excessive muzzle flash (there is a little), and is fine like salt or sugar so it meters excellently through our Dillon powder drops.

I am loading 5.0gr of SR7625 under the same bullets and getting ~1200 FPS out of a Glock 17. That actually makes major in most classes of IPSC and USPSA.

And I know the instructors like it because whenever they need some 9mm, they come "swipe" a couple of handfuls out of the class ammo can. :laugh:

** Standard disclaimer here for working up to these loads carefully in YOUR gun - its safe limit may be different **

Capt. mike
October 29th, 2014, 08:00 PM
147 at 1200 makes me a happy camper

Capt. mike
October 29th, 2014, 08:08 PM
Did you mean sr7625 by any chance

Rumbler
October 29th, 2014, 08:25 PM
Did you mean sr7625 by any chance

Holeeeee Chit! Yes, yes, yes.

. . old age sux. I did however reference actual written notes for the charge weight. Honest. :headache:

Capt. mike
October 29th, 2014, 08:30 PM
Ok ill have to try it out, 7625 is a powder ive seen before, with the TC bullets what depth were you seating them to?

Capt. mike
October 29th, 2014, 08:33 PM
Ive got a lb of blue dot can you think of any of your fun recipes I could use that with?

Rumbler
October 29th, 2014, 09:17 PM
Don't have the COAL in this set of notes. But I wrote myself a note just now to check when I go to the reloading trailer tomorrow morning.

For some reason - I guess mostly because when I think of "_____ dot" I think of dirty - I have not experimented at all with any of those powders, blue, red, green, none of them.:o

Capt. mike
October 29th, 2014, 10:00 PM
Green is the only dot ive tried but Ive used it for some hot 230 ball and one of my personal favorites is a 1350 FPS Nosler 135gr JHP. It burns clean it just has to be hot, I think in one of my books the start load is the max load too, its gotta be compressed.

north-fl-trader
October 30th, 2014, 12:35 AM
Extreme plating is thicker in general. Couldn't get a good seal with 115. Moved to 124 with 4gr of bullseye don't have oal in front of me but it was running 1150 or so.

CoachLongShot
October 30th, 2014, 06:14 AM
I figured if 4.7 with a fmj does 1150 dropping down to 4.5 grs should keep it under the 1250 mark and with such a fast powder the extra inch on the barrel shouldn't add as much extra velocity as others I use like autocomp and sr4756. I wouldn't even flirt with any type of crimp but I don't see the need for it either. I really need a chronograph. I do wonder if they guarantee them to 1250 I wonder how hard you could run them before they start to come apart.

Capt.,

I'll be at Talon Saturday morning shooting the USPSA. We usually finish around 12:00noon. If you want to run some of these by my chrono just let me know and I'll bring it with me. I have some loads that I can/should test as well so it's no big deal if you wanna use it.

Let me know.

Coach.

Capt. mike
October 30th, 2014, 09:05 AM
Capt.,

I'll be at Talon Saturday morning shooting the USPSA. We usually finish around 12:00noon. If you want to run some of these by my chrono just let me know and I'll bring it with me. I have some loads that I can/should test as well so it's no big deal if you wanna use it.

Let me know.

Coach.
Id love to try them out on the chrono but I'm not a member up there

Rumbler
October 30th, 2014, 09:07 AM
Id love to try them out on the chrono but I'm not a member up there

You should be ashamed of yourself !!! ;)

CoachLongShot
October 30th, 2014, 09:33 AM
You should be ashamed of yourself !!! ;)

Think we could get him in as a guest? Or dare a say a day pass?!? :confused:

"Daily Fee for Non-Members: $25 per day

A non-member access is available, but, the guest will have to complete all
the registration/waiver requirements of a member. This fee will be for any
static range. Other additional fees may apply."

Capt. mike
October 30th, 2014, 12:23 PM
25 bucks to shoot my 13 cent handloads is a little to rich for me

Rumbler
October 30th, 2014, 12:49 PM
You can be a guest of another member. In a worst case it would cost $10.00. If they are a gold member the cost is zero. If they are a silver member it is $5.00

But you have to do the paperwork either way. You are welcome to do that in the pro shop OR before you go to the range (from home or wherever) and simply bring the completed forms with you when you come.

The videos and the forms can be found at: http://www.talontraininggroup.com/Talon-Range

OH! And the COAL I am using for the 9mm 147gr gator snot cartridges . . . 1.165 inches. Yes I wrote it down rather that try to recall it from memory. :o

Capt. mike
October 30th, 2014, 03:25 PM
Thanks Mike, I went ahead and loaded 100 of the 115s up but ill get me some gator snot on the next go around

Capt. mike
November 1st, 2014, 09:23 PM
So I was a little too consevative, they shot great and were really acurate but were just barely enough to cycle the slide, they litterally dropped out to the right in a neat pile, think im gonna push them a little hotter as they sounded sub sonic compared to my fmj that I had loaded up, they were screaming and cracked out to 100-125 yards out

Rumbler
November 1st, 2014, 09:43 PM
Maaan. I hate when that happens. :hahaha: