PDA

View Full Version : 9mm round nose; lead; Titegroup

CoachLongShot
October 20th, 2014, 02:22 PM
Anybody got a recipe they like, and are willing to share?

Rumbler
October 20th, 2014, 04:08 PM
Coach, what bullet weight?

CoachLongShot
October 21st, 2014, 01:52 PM
Oops, that would help. 147gr Blue Bullets. Those coated lead jobs. I ran 3.2gr up to 3.6gr and tested this weekend. 3.2gr was of course the softest to shoot, and appears to have if not the best group, right there with the higher charges. I'm testing at 10 paces (so roughly 30ft.) from the target. I was shooting 8 rounds each and getting 4 or 5 of those rounds that would overlap. Before I run off 1,000 rounds, thought I'd see if anybody had any feedback. I'm testing with an XDm and a Beretta 92fs.

Coach.

Rumbler
October 21st, 2014, 02:31 PM
Coach very frequenttly the hottest load is not the most accurate. That seems to hold true with both rifle and pistol.

3.6gr is the max load according to the Hodgdon manual for LRN- I'm sure you realize that. But what you may not realize is that coated bullets frequently behave more like JMJ or even JHP in terms of the amount of powder you can safely load. It becomes a (literally) case by case basis. In other words, your spent brass is the best indicator as to whether you can load them hotter or not.

With that all said . . . seriously, if it were me, and I know this is going to shock some people; I wouldn't load them hotter than they need to be to meet your intended use goal.

If it is "bullseye" - stay light if the pistol cycled reliably. Only go hotter if there is a need to.
If it is "self defense trainers" - go as heavy as you can safely, that is most likely to best represent factory self defense loads.
If it is "defensive ammo" - load that shit just as heavy as your gun(s) will tolerate.

It will not surprise me if some other folks have some opinions different than mine. All I can really do is offer my perspective. And Lord know I like my ammo like my women; HOT. :cool:

AB
October 21st, 2014, 10:53 PM
Titegroup is a darn hot-burning powder to put behind a lead bullet. Until I went to a coated bullet my guns would get full of sludge fast. If I was going to start shooting lead again I would ditch Titegroup and get a cooler burning powder.

CoachLongShot
October 22nd, 2014, 06:49 AM
Thanks guys. I think I'll go with the low end at this point. Seems to group well, I'm getting the power factor I need (shooting USPSA and Steel Challenge), and recoil is low. No jams or stove pipes so it also seems "hot enough" to safely cycle the pistol. For what it's worth, I'll post some photos of the groups. If for nothing else someone else may dig up this thread and it could be of some help.

Coach.

AB
October 22nd, 2014, 06:52 AM
I typed out my reply on my phone as I was heading to bed last night and failed to account for the fact I'm shooting .40 at a higher velocity. What kind of gunk are you experiencing in your pistol and how hard is the alloy?

CoachLongShot
October 25th, 2014, 08:18 AM
Here's my target from my first test. You may have to click it and enlarge it to see better. I know, I know I'm supposed to hit the little orange circle. (My wife pointed that one out right away. Thanks honey! Love you too!) See the patterns. It looks like the 3.2gr is the tightest. Thoughts?

Coach.

Rumbler
October 25th, 2014, 09:09 AM
You are probably not going to like this, Coach.

But what I see there is not so much an issue with grouping as a need to spend more time dry firing. You are reacting to the recoil before the pistol goes boom.

You clearly are a good shot, I wouldn't want you shooting at me, even with a 9mm. It is obvious your fundamentals are there except for that recoil aversion thing.

Here is how you can test what I am saying for yourself. Slow your trigger press down to the point it really is a surprise when the shot breaks. 'betcha you start putting lots of tiny bullets in one tiny hole.

Maybe I am completely wrong. But that is what judging JUST the image tells me. :o

CoachLongShot
October 25th, 2014, 01:29 PM
No offense. You're probably right. I have often felt I need a little more coaching and training. Seem to hit a wall now and then. That was standing free hand, bulls eye shooting. Point of aim is 6 o'clock to the orange dot. Again this is at about 30 feet. Here's my bench rest at 25yrds I did this morning. Not very impressive, but I know where it's grouping.

Coach.

AB
October 25th, 2014, 07:13 PM
I know this will sound weird, but I abandoned the "surprise" trigger break a long time ago.

Rumbler
October 25th, 2014, 07:25 PM
Wow. And you are still having flinching problems?

I can probably help you with that. :goodjob:

CoachLongShot
October 26th, 2014, 09:59 AM
Wow. And you are still having flinching problems?

I can probably help you with that. :goodjob:

Next time I find you and me at Talon at the same time, I'll see if you can come look over my shoulder and see if you can help. What's that line about old dogs and new tricks???

Coach.

AB
October 26th, 2014, 11:56 AM
I appreciate the offers, but I'll stick with my technique!

I'm working weekends right now, but I hope to be out there two of the three days of Mon-Wed if you can make it!