PDA

View Full Version : Halloween / night '2-gun' match at Talon Range

razzman1
October 16th, 2014, 06:49 PM
I know this is last minute, but I wanted to throw this out there. I hadn't planned on running another Halloween / night match this year, as that weekend falls on an event that us cops aren't usually allowed to have off, but I was able to get everything covered, and I plan on going forward with a night match on Saturday Nov. 1st. This is just a preliminary message--I'll have hard times as soon as I figure out sundown for that date, etc.

My plan is for a 4 stage, all field course '2-gun' match done in the dark. This will be a great opportunity for you to bring out your zombie / home defense / EOTWAWKI rifle and handgun, and see what it's like to shoot it in the dark.

Expect the round count to be somewhere in the neighborhood of 70 to 80 rounds each for rifle and handgun. Scoring and rules will be just like 3-gun. Targets will be clearly delineated as rifle or handgun targets.

Bring your lights! Bring your back-up lights! Bring spare batteries! You never know when that stuff will fail--but matches have a tendency to break things.

The match fee will probably be $15, and will include a chem stick / glow stick, which everyone will wear on their body (for safety reasons).

We'll keep things very simple on categories and divisions--run what ya brung. This is for fun, for trying out your home defense set-up, and maybe for some candy, so don't sweat your set-up--just come out and have fun. I'll even allow .22 rimfire rifles, if that's all you have. Handguns must be 9mm or larger (as a .22 pistol won't knock over steel targets).

E-mail me with questions, and expect to see a follow-up e-mail from me in a few days with a firm start time.

John

Dale Gribble
October 17th, 2014, 01:44 PM
Razz.

Are you going to have it setup so you can ditch pistols on every stage?

I don't have a holster for my handgun light which is why I ask.

Frady
October 17th, 2014, 02:14 PM
So in!

Tack Driver
October 17th, 2014, 03:50 PM
Razz.

Are you going to have it setup so you can ditch pistols on every stage?

I don't have a holster for my handgun light which is why I ask.

What do you need buddy?

Dale Gribble
October 17th, 2014, 03:59 PM
What do you need buddy?

1 million dollars.

And for seadog to get a sense of humor.

Tack Driver
October 17th, 2014, 04:02 PM
1 million dollars.

Since neither of those will ever happen.........................

Dale Gribble
October 17th, 2014, 04:07 PM
Since neither of those will ever happen.........................

A bucket or barrel for grounding handguns on each stage.

Tack Driver
October 17th, 2014, 04:08 PM
A bucket or barrel for grounding handguns on each stage.

Okay, so a light bearing holster won't work for you?

Dale Gribble
October 17th, 2014, 04:10 PM
No, because I don't use one. And my guess is many folks who might shoot this (other than me) might not either.

razzman1
October 17th, 2014, 04:17 PM
Hmm. I hadn't considered some folks might not have a holster. I'll have to give that some thought.

What gun do you need it for? I have light bearing holsters for G19, 17 and 21. You are welcome to use my stuff, if that would help.

FLT
October 17th, 2014, 04:18 PM
1 million dollars.

No problem on the million I can just write a check. Now a sense of humor for seadog that's a horse of a deferent color! ;)

Dale Gribble
October 17th, 2014, 04:20 PM
Hmm. I hadn't considered some folks might not have a holster. I'll have to give that some thought.

What gun do you need it for? I have light bearing holsters for G19, 17 and 21. You are welcome to use my stuff, if that would help.

Thanks. I'm sure I can manage, but the offer is appreciated.

My thought was just that many folks have a hand gun with a light in the night stand for nocturnal social problems, but not on their every day carry gun. It just might help get more folks.

Jmoorewar
October 17th, 2014, 04:24 PM
I may come watch. Still don't have lights.

Dale Gribble
October 17th, 2014, 04:26 PM
Don't let not having equipment stop you. I'm sure you can borrow some, rifle lights and handgun lights move easily from gun to gun.

Evil_McNasty
October 17th, 2014, 05:01 PM
You could start stages with handgun from either a holster or the top of a barrel.

Either way, sounds like fun, count me in.

razzman1
October 17th, 2014, 05:01 PM
I may try to set up the stages so that we start with the handgun, or the handgun is laying on a 'table.' If we start with the handgun, shooters can simply come to the line with the gun bagged and start at low ready if they don't have a holster.

razzman1
October 17th, 2014, 05:02 PM
And I have plenty of extra lights, if someone is lacking equipment.

razzman1
October 17th, 2014, 07:03 PM
Just a few quick updates on this match:

You will NOT need a holster for your handgun with attached light. If you have one and want to use it, great, but you won't need it. If you don't have a holster, you can simply start from a 'low ready' position. Just make sure you have a gun rug or case for it.

Rifles: ARs, AKs, .30 cal, .22lr, pistol caliber carbines--whatever. As long as it is safe, you can bring it. We won't be shooting any steel targets with the rifles, so there are no ammo restrictions.

If you'd like to attend the match, but suffer from a lack of flashlights, contact me and I can help.

As of right now, I am planning on the match briefing starting at 7:15, with shooting starting at about 7:30. It's pretty dark by then, so I think we should be OK. I want to shoot in the dark, but I don't want to be out there at 11:30 like last year!

John

Gatorvet
October 17th, 2014, 07:10 PM
:banana:

Rumbler
October 17th, 2014, 07:43 PM
I apologize for the topic twist but I gotta say something.

Seadog does indeed have a sense of humor. I know this for a fact.

My best guess is that he simply does not know you guys well enough to be comfortable "letting his hair down" (VERY figuratively).

OK. I'm done with my hijack. Just wanted you guys to know that you are misreading him . . . sorta.

Tack Driver
October 17th, 2014, 09:44 PM
I apologize for the topic twist but I gotta say something.

Seadog does indeed have a sense of humor. I know this for a fact.

My best guess is that he simply does not know you guys well enough to be comfortable "letting his hair down" (VERY figuratively).

OK. I'm done with my hijack. Just wanted you guys to know that you are misreading him . . . sorta.

You guys must just resonate with each other. If he didn't let his hair down the two times we both got drunk at CCGF get togethers, I don't know what "letting hair down" is.

He's an intense, serious dude. Nothing wrong with that. It's a characteristic...........and this shit takes all kinds.

Hijack off.

Dale Gribble
October 17th, 2014, 09:55 PM
Seadog does indeed have a sense of humor. I know this for a fact

Dude I'd believe you but.

He told us he didn't.

:dunno:

razzman1
October 31st, 2014, 09:31 AM
Just a reminder...We will be having our standard monthly USPSA match Saturday morning, and our night match later in the evening. Shooters meeting for the night match will start at 7:15. If you want to attend, but are lacking a light for either your handgun or carbine, let me know--I have plenty of extras.

John

Dale Gribble
October 31st, 2014, 09:47 AM
My breath is baited. C4 guys, come out and play, this is gonna be good!

Tack Driver
October 31st, 2014, 10:15 AM
My breath is baited. C4 guys, come out and play, this is gonna be good!

While I'm extremely curious to see how people that haven't trained/practiced in no/low light do under clock induced stress the first time out of the gate, tonight is the wrong night. Too many extra curricular activities.

Dale Gribble
October 31st, 2014, 10:22 AM
While I'm extremely curious to see how people that haven't trained/practiced in no/low light do under clock induced stress the first time out of the gate, tonight is the wrong night. Too many extra curricular activities.

No problem. Its TOMORROW night.

Johnny
October 31st, 2014, 03:21 PM
Hey Tack you bitch or witch treating to night.Probably both.

Danman
November 1st, 2014, 05:33 PM
See you ladies there.

Gatorvet
November 1st, 2014, 06:09 PM
Stages look great. Bundle up and come see!

Frady
November 1st, 2014, 08:42 PM
Had shit all ready to go and my baby girl had to come down with croup. 15 minutes on the nebulizer and a shot of steroids and she's already feeling better, but no night out shooting for Dad. I hope y'all are having fun.

Gatorvet
November 2nd, 2014, 10:00 AM
Real fun! Thanks to all those who made this happen!
Got done a little late but I think all would agree it was worth it.

Dale Gribble
November 2nd, 2014, 10:27 AM
Got home just in time to see 1am for the second time.

A freaking blast. Had I.

Danman
November 2nd, 2014, 11:11 AM
That was fun. Can't wait for the next one.

razzman1
November 2nd, 2014, 10:00 PM
Man, that was a great time! I really enjoyed it. Based on how long it took us, I think I will modify it a bit for future matches. Based on the feedback, I think I will try and hold them more frequently--maybe quarterly. And I think I will either make the stages a little smaller/shorter, or drop it down to 3 stages. Hopefully that will get us out a little earlier.

Thanks to everyone who helped out, and thanks to Eric R for helping me run it. I'm open to suggestions for the next one--if there is anything specific you'd like to see.