PDA

View Full Version : Those of you who tumble or vibrate your brass.

Dale Gribble
October 6th, 2014, 02:20 PM
Do you do it with the primers in? Or does it depend?

Cattle/Horses
October 6th, 2014, 02:41 PM
Inspect.
Trash bad brass, decap GTG brass.
Tumble.

No need tumbling brass that end up trashed.

FLT
October 6th, 2014, 02:45 PM
Depends. I do pistol cases before I size them because I don't lube them. (Carbide dies) I do the rifle cases after they're sized to get the lube off.

Airgator0470
October 6th, 2014, 02:53 PM
Both ways... depends.

Fishtale
October 6th, 2014, 03:08 PM
I normally remove the primer using a Lee universal decapping die and then tumble my cases. Only problem is removing the tumbling media from the flash hole in the cases afterward. Someone said they used rice for polishing and cleaning cases. I tried that and it worked pretty good but the dust on the cases and in the tumbler was bad. I threw out the rice. Still going to try some of the NuFinish Car Wax as suggested by Rumbler. It is just me but I don't normally tumble after resizing. I am just paranoid that I may miss some media in the case. Again it is just my paranoia. Both ways work fine.

Rumbler
October 6th, 2014, 04:26 PM
I am in the "Both ways . . . depends" camp also.

Dale Gribble
October 6th, 2014, 04:29 PM
Ok. Depends.. On what?

Mikec2003
October 6th, 2014, 04:39 PM
Ok. Depends.. On what?

Stuff

AB
October 6th, 2014, 04:39 PM
I tumble all my ammo primer-in, because I don't have the time to make decapping a separate step. If I were going to start tumbling rifle brass, the higher pressures would concern me enough I would buy a decapping tool and take the time. If you load a cracked case into most pistols, nothing bad will happen as long as the crack doesn't get exposed before the pressure is out of the barrel.

I've learned that having a cracked case will make a unique sound when "jingled" with other brass. If I hear that sound as I'm transferring cases from the sieve into the case feeder I stop and inspect.

Dale Gribble
October 6th, 2014, 04:40 PM
I tumble all my ammo primer-in, because I don't have the time to make decapping a separate step.

Do you end up with water in the primer pockets?

Rumbler
October 6th, 2014, 05:07 PM
Ok. Depends.. On what?

Bulk ammo; no.
"Match" ammo;yes.

Why is because consistency = accuracy. Burnt primer residue buildup is inconsistent.

Maybe that is taking it to a ridiculous degree, but I do know that the more consistent my ammo is the fewer excuses I have for missing. I hate missing. :(

AB
October 6th, 2014, 05:17 PM
Do you end up with water in the primer pockets?

Yes, but it dries out eventually. I only do the SS tumble when I first bring the brass out of storage and it's all tarnished and dirty, and usually that's way in advance of actually needing it. Once the initial wet tumble is complete, I use corn cob in a vibratory cleaner so I don't have to wait.

Airgator0470
October 6th, 2014, 07:56 PM
I've learned that having a cracked case will make a unique sound when "jingled" with other brass. If I hear that sound as I'm transferring cases from the sieve into the case feeder I stop and inspect.

Hornady .308 cases, good ones, make a distinct sound when mixed in with Federal...

0utlaw
October 6th, 2014, 08:29 PM
Both ways... depends.

Ok. Depends.. On what?

Stuff

And shit.......................
:ArticleLast:

wheelman
October 6th, 2014, 09:18 PM
I tumble - then deprime.

Media tends to get caught in the primer hole.

I do not do precision loads however.

I also stopped cleaning the primer pocket.

mapper
October 6th, 2014, 09:43 PM
Tumble with primers in..
Pistol pockets not cleaned, rifle are..

Dale Gribble
October 7th, 2014, 09:21 AM
Thanks.

I currently do not tumble or vibrate. I use ultrasonic.

Its wonderful for hunting or precision loads, working with just a few (less than a 100) cases at a time. But for 9mm I need to ramp up production.

If you were starting over, would you go with a tumbler or a (god I hate to write this) vibrator?

seadog
October 7th, 2014, 09:23 AM
I tumble .556 primer in but for the .50 primer out. I ream the .50 primer Pocket to .318 then come in through the case mouth with a flash hole reamer to form a uniform flash hole.
The .50 cases take a lot of time getting them just right and as consistent as humanly possible.

Dale Gribble
October 7th, 2014, 09:24 AM
I tumble .556 primer in but for the .50 primer out. I ream the .50 primer Pocket to .318 then come in through the case mouth with a flash hole reamer to form a uniform flash hole.
The .50 cases take a lot of time getting them just right and as consistent as humanly possible.

I'm not worthy of .50..

Thanks for the info.

AB
October 7th, 2014, 09:28 AM
I would have the exact setup I have now, no changes. This is because I'm on my second or third evolution of the brass cleaning process at this point and have learned from my mistakes.

The first mistake I made was not going big early. The price tag on the huge vibratory case cleaner put me off at first, and then I ended up buying it after buying one that turned out to be too small. I love the stainless steel tumbler (the ultrasonic might do the same thing) for initial cleaning, and I have bought the biggest one on the market at the time I could reasonably afford. There's the one I have, and at the time the next available model was a commercial setup with ~$1,000 price.

Get one of the big vibratory cleaners that takes walnut or corn cob media.

Dale Gribble
October 7th, 2014, 09:30 AM
One other question..

Do you guys do any pre-cleaning of your brass, like a 5 gallon bucket and some warm water to get the sand and shit out?

AB
October 7th, 2014, 09:32 AM
I have a purpose built wire mesh screen in a wooden frame I throw them in and swirl them around with a broom. I prop one side up with a piece of 4x4 and the angle really helps shake it loose.

Dale Gribble
October 7th, 2014, 09:33 AM
I would have the exact setup I have now, no changes. This is because I'm on my second or third evolution of the brass cleaning process at this point and have learned from my mistakes.

Maybe a second business for you would be cleaning other folks brass?

I've read sever folks use this for tumbling brass.

http://www.harborfreight.com/1-1-4-quarter-cubic-ft-compact-cement-mixer-91907.html?hftref=cj

AB
October 7th, 2014, 09:35 AM
Maybe a second business for you would be cleaning other folks brass?

I've read sever folks use this for tumbling brass.

http://www.harborfreight.com/1-1-4-quarter-cubic-ft-compact-cement-mixer-91907.html?hftref=cj

I've heard of it, but I'd want to see that in person before trying it myself.

SB
October 7th, 2014, 09:37 AM
I have a purpose built wire mesh screen in a wooden frame I throw them in and swirl them around with a broom. I prop one side up with a piece of 4x4 and the angle really helps shake it loose.

This be sure get a media separator or build one. It makes it a whole lot easier.
You can use a colander (just not the wife's), but it takes a long time and you wind up having to shake them out individually anyway.

AB
October 7th, 2014, 09:40 AM
This be sure get a media separator or build one. It makes it a whole lot easier.
You can use a colander (just not the wife's), but it takes a long time and you wind up having to shake them out individually anyway.

I have three media separators (two dry, one for wet), but I don't like to get sand in them so I have the mesh screen for the initial "knock the dirt off" operation.

Dale Gribble
October 7th, 2014, 09:43 AM
I've really been thinking about the Frankford Arsenal rotary tumbler.

Its not going to do a huge amount of brass at one time. It will do 1k of 9mm, which is plenty for me at a time since its small and easy to store.

http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/27279

AB
October 7th, 2014, 09:48 AM
I've really been thinking about the Frankford Arsenal rotary tumbler.

Its not going to do a huge amount of brass at one time. It will do 1k of 9mm, which is plenty for me at a time since its small and easy to store.

http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/27279

I think I posted about that before. As long as it can last, it handles more weight than the one I have and if that one had been available when I was buying I would have probably gotten it. I still don't like the time it takes to dry so wet tumbling will never be my primary cleaning method. For fast drying, I have put them on a cookie sheet in the oven at 200 until dry, but it's not my preference.

Dale Gribble
October 7th, 2014, 09:50 AM
For fast drying, I have put them on a cookie sheet in the oven at 200 until dry, but it's not my preference.

I do that to dry my brass now, or I put it in the dryer on whats called a sweater rack, wrapped in a towel.

Dale Gribble
October 7th, 2014, 10:55 AM
Those of you who load 9mm.

Do you check and remove the crimp on 9mm brass, or do you just hope for the best?

AB
October 7th, 2014, 11:58 AM
I have a nice primer pocket swager. I will remove the crimp rather than risk the crushed primer.

NJC
October 7th, 2014, 01:16 PM
man.. this reloading deal is starting to sound like hard work...

AB
October 7th, 2014, 01:31 PM
Nah. I still come out way ahead when I plug my OT rate into the time I spend reloading plus materials.

mapper
October 7th, 2014, 03:49 PM
I'll just look at cases...if nato cross I'll plan to de crimp it..
Most of the commercial brass has not been an issue...

Mostly I load 120 gr hardcast over 3.8 to 4.0 gr of bullseye.. in 9 mm as it is a cheap target load.

NJC
October 7th, 2014, 05:04 PM
Nah. I still come out way ahead when I plug my OT rate into the time I spend reloading plus materials.
Ha

If I earned YOUR overtime rate, I would not be looking at reloading ;-)

seadog
October 7th, 2014, 05:56 PM
Whatever you do, watch out for IMI brass in .556 . They have a bright red primer seal and break decaping pins at will.

Rumbler
October 7th, 2014, 06:37 PM
Those of you who load 9mm.

Do you check and remove the crimp on 9mm brass, or do you just hope for the best?

Wait. Save 9mm brass? Doesn't it take like 10 or 15 of them to make one real pistol case? Hardly seems worthwhile . . . I usually just pick up a handful of those fat soda straws from McDonalds and snip them into short sections . . . . :roflmao:

just teasing. :rolleyes:

Because virtually all the brass we get is range pickup it always has dirt/pebbles/junk in it. If it has rained since the last pickup, it is far worse.

We built a 1/4x1/4 hardware cloth bottomed tilt table. It is a couple of feet wide and about three feet long. All the nasty brass gets dumped on there, "tilted" back and forth several times, and then if necessary washed right there on the table with a garden hose and spray nozzle.

If it has to be washed, then every couple of hours (or whenever we get the opportunity) the table will get a few more minutes of "tilting" which turns all the brass over, this is repeated until no more water drops are visible on the cement under the tilt table. Depending on the weather (the table is outside in the sun) it can take a couple of hours to a day or two to dry. THEN it goes into the vibratory tumbler until it looks like new gold.

I know; that sounds like a lot of work. And I guess it would be if we didn't process five gallon buckets full of brass at a time it would not work out as time effective. The tumbler. It will only hold a thousand or so 9mm at a time. Getting all the brass through the tumbler actually takes a lot longer than getting it ready to tumble even if it had to be washed first.

Cattle/Horses
October 7th, 2014, 07:12 PM
Mike, Many years ago I was in Wyoming and went by Black hills with a friend. It was before the Black hills breakup. They actually had a couple of electric cement mixers they used for tumblers. Enormous capacity. Might checkout what Harbor Freight has.

Rumbler
October 7th, 2014, 07:14 PM
Mike, Many years ago I was in Wyoming and went by Black hills with a friend. It was before the Black hills breakup. They actually had a couple of electric cement mixers they used for tumblers. Enormous capacity. Might checkout what Harbor Freight has.

JD and I have spoken about that several times. He agreed to get me one, but the poor guy is so busy with me sidelined I really don't think he gets time to eat lunch. :(

Cattle/Horses
October 7th, 2014, 07:23 PM
If you want to REALLY get into it we can find you one of these.

http://www.minimaxconcrete.com/forsale/9_Yard_Rex_Mixer_Body.JPG

Rumbler
October 7th, 2014, 08:18 PM
Heck. That would probably get used more as an amusement ride than a brass tumbler. :roflmao:

FLT
October 7th, 2014, 08:55 PM
I've always tumbled and as I've gotten older I've started to vibrate a good bit. Oh --wait ----never mind.

Johnny
October 7th, 2014, 09:03 PM
I use the lyman ultra sonic,dump cleaned brass into water dry them with a heat gun,pop them into my old vib tumbeler with corncob for 15 minutes looks like new.Primer pockets are clean after the sonic bath

CoachLongShot
October 8th, 2014, 05:52 AM
Primers in.

Tack Driver
October 8th, 2014, 05:12 PM
I tumble and vibrate Jafar's momma's ass.

Just in case you guys thought you were going to have a thread without a momma' joke in it. :nono: