PDA

View Full Version : Hornady FTX Bullets

Rumbler
April 19th, 2012, 05:03 PM
Interesting (in my tiny mind anyway) tidbit of into on loading/reloading with the Hornady FTX Bullets.

Particularly the .308 diameter bullets.

I bought a box of 100 locally. Primarily because they had sold out of all the other .308 bullets. These are 160gr.

So . . . I started looking in my resources for load data.

Surprise #1 - I had to go to Hornady's web site to find it. None of the powder people, who's powder I use, listed any data for that bullet.

Surprise #2 - The min and max loads are very close together velocity wise. And "low" too, max is listed at 2600FPS and they even made that red in color :o .

Surprise #3 - Very few recommended powders too. Hornady makes it pretty clear that they prefer you use either Varget or IMR 4064.

Surprise #3 - There is no 30-06 data for this bullet, and the 30-30 cartridge has an even narrower velocity range that leans toward the high side of 30-30 velocity.

Of course, this piqued my curiosity. You have to admit; this is not . . normal.

An email here, and an email there later, and I found out that these bullets are so (and I quote) "highly engineered" they "do not work well outside their designated velocity range".

By all published accounts these are outstanding hunting bullets. I'm not trying to assert otherwise. But dagum, they certainly ARE special purpose, limited scope bullets.

So this is just a heads up in case you go looking for .308 bullets and run across them. ;D 8) ;D

JMW4570
April 19th, 2012, 07:18 PM
I have some "healthy" loads for 45-70 marlin lever gun with the 325 FTX. Do some more looking around. I am sure there are some alternatove loads out there. BUT, unless you have a lever 308, I am not sure what you are gaining using this bullet in a bolt gun or autoloader.

talon2
April 19th, 2012, 07:44 PM
yes sir you do ;D. The one deer I have shot with these bullets (45-70 leverevolution factory rounds) dropped in his tracks as intended. Looked like you pushed a baseball through his spine. Completely removed 3 vertebra I was very impressed. but out of bolt or mag fed auto I would think the sst from Hornady would be better.

I have some "healthy" loads for 45-70 marlin lever gun with the 325 FTX. Do some more looking around. I am sure there are some alternatove loads out there. BUT, unless you have a lever 308, I am not sure what you are gaining using this bullet in a bolt gun or autoloader.

Rumbler
April 19th, 2012, 07:46 PM

Oh, that is easy Jim. Avoiding having to shoot blanks. http://www.pic4ever.com/images/128fs318181.gif

. . I was desperate for some .308 bullets. :-[

JMW4570
April 20th, 2012, 09:03 AM
You should have a called me. I have some I could spot you. Jim

Rumbler
April 20th, 2012, 09:50 AM
Wow. That is very nice of you. ;D

I'm OK now though. I ordered a bucket full of 168gr match bullets. 8)

BlueBronco
April 23rd, 2012, 04:09 PM
Interesting (in my tiny mind anyway) tidbit of into on loading/reloading with the Hornady FTX Bullets.

Particularly the .308 diameter bullets.

I bought a box of 100 locally. Primarily because they had sold out of all the other .308 bullets. These are 160gr.

So . . . I started looking in my resources for load data.

Surprise #1 - I had to go to Hornady's web site to find it. None of the powder people, who's powder I use, listed any data for that bullet.

Surprise #2 - The min and max loads are very close together velocity wise. And "low" too, max is listed at 2600FPS and they even made that red in color :o .

Surprise #3 - Very few recommended powders too. Hornady makes it pretty clear that they prefer you use either Varget or IMR 4064.

Surprise #3 - There is no 30-06 data for this bullet, and the 30-30 cartridge has an even narrower velocity range that leans toward the high side of 30-30 velocity.

Of course, this piqued my curiosity. You have to admit; this is not . . normal.

An email here, and an email there later, and I found out that these bullets are so (and I quote) "highly engineered" they "do not work well outside their designated velocity range".

By all published accounts these are outstanding hunting bullets. I'm not trying to assert otherwise. But dagum, they certainly ARE special purpose, limited scope bullets.

So this is just a heads up in case you go looking for .308 bullets and run across them. ;D 8) ;D

Related to surprise number #4 (or 2nd #3), Hornady has a 165 gr GMX loaded for .300 Weatherby Magnum which is tame by Weatherby standards is still capable of some high velocities.

Edit: I guessed you were loading for .30-06 but realize you may be doing it for .30-30.

Rumbler
April 23rd, 2012, 04:39 PM
Looks like I gotcha.

. . er, , well, looks more like you got me. :-[ :-[

Reloading for .308 Winchester. :-[ :-[

BlueBronco
April 23rd, 2012, 04:59 PM
Looks like I gotcha.

. . er, , well, looks more like you got me. :-[ :-[

Reloading for .308 Winchester. :-[ :-[

Are you loading for the 300 yard mark?

Edit: Here is the 165 GMX loaded for .308

http://www.hornady.com/store/308-Win-165-gr-GMX-Superformance/

It seems like they are giving at least part of the credit of the 100 to 200 fps over SAAMI to the efficient powders. At any rate, this one is supposed to be safe for lever guns as well.

Rumbler
April 25th, 2012, 11:26 AM
We loaded some of these last night . . . .

WAY more trouble than they are worth. :-\

In order to load these to the COAL in that Hornady .pdf it is necessary to cut the case neck off literally at the top of the shoulder leaving only about .020 to get a crimp on. I ain't going to do that! So what I did do was to crimp at the caneluture and "live with" the increased case volume and COAL (which by the way is 2.712 (!).

We built five rounds, I'll chronograph this weekend. If they run <2500fps I'll dump more powder in the case for the next five rounds and so forth until it gets close to 2600fps. I figure by the time I've used up these 100 bullets, I'll have the load worked out. ::)

JMW4570
April 25th, 2012, 01:22 PM
more trouble than they are worth. :-\

What diameter are they? If they will fit my 30-30 I'll swap you bullet for bullet for 168SMK bullets. Are they the
30 Cal .308 160 gr FTX® (30-30 Win)
SKU: 30395 | 100/BX

Rumbler
April 25th, 2012, 01:29 PM
more trouble than they are worth. :-\

What diameter are they? If they will fit my 30-30 I'll swap you bullet for bullet for 168SMK bullets. Are they the
30 Cal .308 160 gr FTX® (30-30 Win)
SKU: 30395 | 100/BX

Exactly! I've got 95, and five in nice once fired (but full length re-sized an 100% processed) Federal match .308 Winchester brass with 43 grains of Varget behind them . . . if for some crazy reason you wanted them. ;)

But . . to be . . perfectly honest with you Jim, you could have the lot for free, if you can use 'em.

JMW4570
April 25th, 2012, 02:10 PM
That sounds like a deal to me. Jim