PDA

View Full Version : USPSA at Talon Range Saturday Sept. 6th

razzman1
September 5th, 2014, 03:38 PM
Saturday September 6th, Talon Range will host the Tallahassee Practical Shooters' monthly USPSA match. Here are the match particulars. E-mail me with any questions.

When: Saturday, September 6th. Stage set up begins at 7:00. Sign up starts at 8:00. Shooters meeting at 8:30, with start of match immediately following. If it looks like we will have heavy / dangerous weather, I will make the go / no-go call as early as possible. We will have access to the range Friday night(s) before the match, and I will be out there around 5:30 setting up stages. If you'd like to come out and help, and it would be appreciated, or want to check out the range, come out and see me!

Where: Talon Range. We are located at the interchange of Interstate 10 and US 90 in Midway, FL at the 192 exit (technically the North East corner).
- From I-10, exit at 192 onto US 90 West. If you are coming from the West on I-10, you will make a left turn onto US 90 and proceed under the interstate to a stop light. If you are coming from the East on I-10, you will immediately come to a stoplight. To the West (left) you will see a Flying J truck stop (cheapest gas in the area, BTW), and to the East (right) will be a service road called Commerce Blvd that winds back towards the interstate. Turn onto Commerce Blvd. and drive .5 miles. Talon Range will be on your right hand side. For those of you with GPS, the coordinates are: N 30* 29.425' by W 84* 25.278'. Our address is 550 Commerce Blvd Midway, FL 32343 (Note the city is Midway FL, not Tallahassee). The road leading into our range is nicely maintained, so for all of you Ferrari owners out there, have no fear of making it down to the range.

What: 6 stage USPSA match. Match entry fee will be $20 ($15 for those under 18). Cash or check are fine—no cards. Our match will consist of 6 challenging courses of fire--five field courses plus one USPSA classifier stage. Total round count will be 158 rounds, assuming you don't miss. Our range was designed for competitive shooting, so expect a real USPSA match--179* ranges, steel--everything you ever wanted in a USPSA match!

Instructions: Talon is a COLD RANGE. No bagging or un-bagging of firearms in the parking lot. Safe areas will be provided and clearly marked. Once you make it onto the range property, there will be signs designating parking and the registration / sign up area. For those who have already been shooting USPSA at Tallahassee Rifle and Pistol Club, we are going to keep sign up as similar as possible. One thing that will change, however; EVERYONE must fill out a Talon Range liability waiver. You can find the waiver here: http://www.talontraininggroup.com/Talon-Range/Talon-Range-Membership-Agreement It's a little lengthy, but it's thorough, and you only have to do it once...ever (unless we revise it). I will have copies at registration, but I encourage you to print it off and complete it beforehand to speed up the registration process. For Talon Range members who have already completed the waiver and have it on file, you will not need to fill out another one (but it has to be THIS waiver, which was revised 06/17/2013). Eye and ear protection are mandatory for both competitors and spectators. Spectators are welcome. We will even have an air conditioned lounge with TV to get your 'spectator' out of the sun for a while.

Our pro shop is fully stocked with ammo (no limits on 9mm), snacks, drinks, sunscreen, etc.

We will have a shooters meeting / safety briefing before the start of the match.

New Shooters: If you have never competed in an organized shooting event--what are you waiting for!? We welcome new shooters, and will do everything we can to accommodate you. USPSA is a safe, fun, family friendly sport open to folks of all ages and skill levels (if you have a child younger than 12 that is interested, please contact me before hand so we can chat). You don't need a whole lot of equipment to start off--a safe and functional handgun in 9mm or larger caliber, a safe holster that covers the trigger guard and attaches to the belt, at least 3 functional magazines (more is better) and magazine holders to carry them, eye and ear protection, and a desire to have fun. Note: You will spend the morning and early afternoon outside, so dress appropriately and use plenty of sunscreen.

If you would like a bit of instruction before competing in your first match, I encourage you to visit the Talon Training web page and check out our 'Introduction to USPSA Shooting' class http://www.talontraininggroup.com/. It will more than adequately prepare you for jumping right into a match. If you are a new shooter and plan on attending the match, please come out early so one of our experienced shooters can fill you in on how everything works.

Thanks, and I hope to see you on the range!

John Rasmussen
Director Of Competitive Marksmanship

AB
September 6th, 2014, 07:25 AM
Not going to make this one. I'm T-minus about two weeks until the arrival of little AB and there's still work to be done. It pains me to miss these, and I hope all you guys and gals shoot well and have a great time! Next time I see you out there I'll be a Dad. Weird to think of myself in those terms!

simmoag
September 6th, 2014, 07:53 AM
Brandy will be there for this one. Looks like I will be able to make these on a regular basis starting next month.

Jmoorewar
September 6th, 2014, 10:30 AM
Not going to make this one. I'm T-minus about two weeks until the arrival of little AB and there's still work to be done. It pains me to miss these, and I hope all you guys and gals shoot well and have a great time! Next time I see you out there I'll be a Dad. Weird to think of myself in those terms!
Good luck and congrats on the little one. They make you have to put a lot of fun on the back burner but it's worth it. Wouldn't change a thing about mine.

AB
September 6th, 2014, 01:21 PM
Good luck and congrats on the little one. They make you have to put a lot of fun on the back burner but it's worth it. Wouldn't change a thing about mine.

I'm fortunate I have a LOT of support for my shooting on the home front, so I'm confident I won't have to stop or even slow down if I don't want to. My video game habit, though, might have to go! That being said, one of the most dedicated shooters I knew gave it up when his kid came. I asked him about it, and he simply said "I have more fun with my son than I ever did shooting." It gave me food for thought.

Frady
September 6th, 2014, 02:13 PM
I'm fortunate I have a LOT of support for my shooting on the home front, so I'm confident I won't have to stop or even slow down if I don't want to. My video game habit, though, might have to go! That being said, one of the most dedicated shooters I knew gave it up when his kid came. I asked him about it, and he simply said "I have more fun with my son than I ever did shooting." It gave me food for thought.

I was never on level of some of you guys, but since the first came along about 16 months ago it has been VERY hard to justify much shooting. There is a two hour window after work that I get to see her during the week (assuming nothing else is going on w/ life or the other job or consulting) and that leaves weekends to get all the normal admin stuff I used to do during the week. So once the shopping and yardwork and other crap is done I have to choose between an afternoon with the kid or on the range. Pretty hard to pick the range over your kid.

One thing Ab- SLEEP NOW! seriously, get off the computer and go take a nap... check that, take two. Every single chance you get before the kid comes along sleep. I've burned it at both ends most of my life, but I have never known sleep deprivation like I did the two months after my daughter was born.

bumblebee
September 6th, 2014, 04:12 PM
AB, you will be astonished at how the money and time disappear when a little one comes home. You better start scheduling for things now.

Most important thing you need to learn now...Never pass up an opportunity to take a nap