PDA

View Full Version : Meat processing, curing and smoking for when SHTF

Cattle/Horses
July 31st, 2014, 09:05 PM
At Ike's the other night I was telling some of you about the Panhandle Pioneer Settlement over in Blountstown. They have several classes that would be useful to prepping. Syrup making and hog killing and processing in the fall. Jam, jelly and vegetable processing in the summer. Other events through the year.

I got the facebook page today. Keep an eye on it for things that may interest you.

https://www.facebook.com/panhandle.settlement?ref=profile

AND

http://www.panhandlepioneer.org/

Tack Driver
July 31st, 2014, 10:06 PM
"Shaping heated copper and brass"

Yeah, that sounds cool.

bumblebee
July 31st, 2014, 10:57 PM
curing meat takes weeks. My Br-In-Law has been doing it for decades. I don't have the patience for it and I am glad he does!

BlueBronco
August 1st, 2014, 12:19 AM
One of my grandfathers was epic at curing pork. Screw pork brains and scrambled eggs. Head cheese aka sauce meat is pretty interesting though.

jonastio
August 8th, 2014, 03:18 AM
I did not know this existed. I've GOT to take my little girls there.

Bodo
August 8th, 2014, 06:27 AM
Been there many, many times with the blacksmith group. It's a neat place.

The Noose
August 8th, 2014, 07:29 AM
Will have to check that out, have been there many times, but didn't know they offered that. We have a family reunion every year in the old gym that is on the property. My father and some of my aunts used that gym in High School.
If you have been in there and seen all the pictures on the wall. They are in several of them.... Is a cool place. Also BODO of particular interest to you, every October they host Goat Days there, check it out too.

Cattle/Horses
August 8th, 2014, 08:27 AM
Been there many, many times with the blacksmith group. It's a neat place.

http://forum.capitalcitygunforum.com/images/medals/gfucker-icon.png LMAO

thedishdoc
August 8th, 2014, 08:58 AM
At Ike's the other night I was telling some of you about the Panhandle Pioneer Settlement over in Blountstown. They have several classes that would be useful to prepping. Syrup making and hog killing and processing in the fall. Jam, jelly and vegetable processing in the summer. Other events through the year.

I got the facebook page today. Keep an eye on it for things that may interest you.

https://www.facebook.com/panhandle.settlement?ref=profile

AND

http://www.panhandlepioneer.org/
I went to one of their blacksmithing / knifemaking classes and enjoyed it. Lots of cool old structures and cabins onsite also.

thedishdoc
August 8th, 2014, 08:59 AM
I did not know this existed. I've GOT to take my little girls there.
They have a goat day festival every so often that your girls will enjoy.

thedishdoc
August 8th, 2014, 09:00 AM
They also have a knife show there occasionally. Lots of custom made knifes. I enjoy those as well.

Bodo
August 8th, 2014, 09:04 AM
Also BODO of particular interest to you, every October they host Goat Days there, check it out too.

Ya, I've been a couple times. Not to many goats. Good food though.

The Noose
August 8th, 2014, 09:06 AM
Ya, I've been a couple times. Not to many goats. Good food though.

Actually got a couple of my kids to try goat sausage one time. Good stuff...
First animal I ever killed was a goat, had to be 9 or 10, dad handed me a rifle and said "see that goat?... Shoot it"

Bodo
August 8th, 2014, 09:22 AM
Goat meat is better than venison, but that's just me.

Jafar
August 8th, 2014, 09:27 AM

How long do you tenderize it?

Cattle/Horses
August 8th, 2014, 09:37 AM

Some of the Hispanics in Quincy occasionally invite me over to a cookout. They wrap goat in banana leaves and slow cook it in a pit of hot coals. If done right it's damn good. While the goat is cooking we sit around drinking beer and tequila from south of the boarder and they tell gringo jokes.

Downrange
August 8th, 2014, 09:37 AM
Sooo, Bodo; how do you tenderize it (the goats)?

FIFY

Bodo
August 8th, 2014, 10:17 AM
How long do you tenderize it?

Depends on the cut and the goat it came from. The last goat we had butchered was a ~1yo Buck. He required no tenderizing really. Made really good chicken/country fried goat and stew meat. Goat burgers were tasty too. Saving the backstrap for a special occasion.

Older goats need to be slow cooked or BBQ'd. Or just make hamburger out of them.

Jafar
August 8th, 2014, 10:53 AM
Depends on the cut and the goat it came from. The last goat we had butchered was a ~1yo Buck. He required no tenderizing really. Made really good chicken/country fried goat and stew meat. Goat burgers were tasty too. Saving the backstrap for a special occasion.

Older goats need to be slow cooked or BBQ'd. Or just make hamburger out of them.

Oh no, I meant how long do you pound it with your meat mallet?

Downrange
August 8th, 2014, 10:56 AM
It's Innuendo Friday!!!!

Bodo
August 8th, 2014, 10:59 AM

oh, my bad. It's a small mallet. So, as long as I can.