PDA

View Full Version : Bowling Pin side match

Ken
June 29th, 2014, 01:59 PM
The other thread seems to be veering off into other directions so I thought I would offer up a possibility for the "fun" match after the standard pin match. I have a rimfire dueling tree http://store.actiontarget.com/rimfire-dueling-tree.html and a rifle-grade dueling tree http://store.actiontarget.com/pt-dueling-tree-heavy-duty.html . I had the rimfire out at Talon last week and the paddles will turn at 100 yards shooting subsonic out of a rifle. The rifle-grade will turn on just about any center fire round at least out to 300 yards. It needs to be at least 75 yards away to keep the paddles from cratering. Obviously, no steel core rounds. I can bring either one out to play with. There are several ways to compete using the trees:
Unlimited round count, time limit on firing, i.e., 15, 20, 30 seconds, whatever. Side with the least number of paddles showing @ the time limit wins.
Limited round count, i.e., 10, 30, two 10 round mags, whatever; no time limit. Same result.
Unlimited round count, no time limit, shoot until someone clears their side first.
And other variations are possible including one shooter at a time, for fastest time to do whatever, i.e., turn all paddles once, twice, etc.
I throw this out there only as a possibility. I've been having fun doing whatever they throw at us when I can get out there.

YankeeFingergasm
June 29th, 2014, 03:49 PM
That's real nice of you.

thedishdoc
June 29th, 2014, 09:33 PM
Awesome! I'm in for whatever you guys want!

thedishdoc
June 29th, 2014, 09:35 PM
If you bring both two shooters can compete against each other in real time.

Ken
June 30th, 2014, 08:42 AM
If you bring both two shooters can compete against each other in real time.

That's how it works with just one tree. You put half of the paddles on one side, half on the other. Each shooter is trying to turn his paddles to the other side. At the same time. That's why it's called a "dueling" tree.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pg8SgVISP8g

Lonesurvivor23
June 30th, 2014, 12:17 PM
That's how it works with just one tree. You put half of the paddles on one side, half on the other. Each shooter is trying to turn his paddles to the other side. At the same time. That's why it's called a "dueling" tree.

Great example of dueling tree, awlful example of gun safety. Muzzle sweep much?

Rumbler
June 30th, 2014, 12:20 PM
The two shooters stand side by side with the target down range.

If you would come shoot with the big boys instead of spending your time playing gun games you would know that. :nyahnyah:

Dale Gribble
June 30th, 2014, 12:20 PM
Great example of dueling tree, awlful example of gun safety. Muzzle sweep much?

Huh? Two shooters shooting at targets in front of them, what muzzle sweep?

Ken
June 30th, 2014, 04:34 PM
I understand what LS23 is saying. Big Daddy Hoffman gets a little exuberant after winning the first duel by waving his gun around a bit. BUT, to bring this back on topic, I'll bring the rimfire version this Thursday (assuming I can make it this week). Rumbler could go ahead with whatever he has in mind for this week's side match and we could do an Olympic-style "demonstration sport" as a side-side match. Bring pistols and/or rifles. 22's only please. According to Action Target, .17 velocities are too high. Unless you want to shoot it at 200 yards. Then we'll talk. :D

Johnny
July 2nd, 2014, 08:59 PM
What are we going to shoot for the fun match,rimfire rifles,handguns wrist rockets??????????????????????????????????????????? ????????????????

Rumbler
July 2nd, 2014, 09:15 PM
. . . . .I'll bring the rimfire version this Thursday (assuming I can make it this week). Rumbler could go ahead with whatever he has in mind for this week's side match and we could do an Olympic-style "demonstration sport" as a side-side match. Bring pistols and/or rifles. 22's only please. According to Action Target, .17 velocities are too high. Unless you want to shoot it at 200 yards. Then we'll talk. :D

:dunno: I dunno. :dunno:

You know how things work around here . . . . careful or you'll get put in charge of thinking of something.:roflmao:

thedishdoc
July 2nd, 2014, 09:59 PM

The two shooters stand side by side with the target down range.

If you would come shoot with the big boys instead of spending your time playing gun games you would know that. :nyahnyah:

Yea I know how they work. They have been on my short list of something fun to get for awhile now but other stuff has come up. I meant 2 groups of two. And if I can remember I'll throw the M&P 22 into the truck also. I've always wanted to shoot at one of those things against somebody else.

Rumbler
July 2nd, 2014, 10:07 PM
if I can remember I'll throw the M&P 22 into the truck also

don't worry Doc, you can always use my Savage bolt gun. :p

thedishdoc
July 2nd, 2014, 10:25 PM
Hopefully I will have one by tomorrow night. I would like to run your mags prior to the swap if you don't mind sir. Then the same scope and I'll be just like you :-) But better looking and not as grumpy :-) THEN we RE-SHOOT pins at 200 :-)

Rumbler
July 2nd, 2014, 10:44 PM
No problem, Doc. It'll be my pleasure

. . . . to wax your ass twice in a row. :banana:

thedishdoc
July 2nd, 2014, 10:56 PM
I only have my asshole waxed.

:banana:

Batter Up :-)

BTW I'm setting the Ruger target up with the same optics and bringing it for round of three of wax on, wax off :-)

FLT
July 3rd, 2014, 07:24 AM
[QUOTE=thedishdoc;81163]I only have my asshole waxed.

:banana:
Damn. Dish how does it feel to be completely bald. ;):D

:chinscratch::banana:;)

Johnny
July 3rd, 2014, 08:06 AM
Ok,Doc there will be no removing of the cap to blind the other shooters.That could be a dis quailification.Just ask Tack to show up he will blind everyone!

Rumbler
July 3rd, 2014, 08:36 AM
With backup that solid, I don't need to say anything witty. They obviously have me covered. :banana:

Johnny
July 6th, 2014, 12:30 PM
Thanks Ken,I enjoyed shooting the dueling tree.It was a blast!

Mikec2003
July 6th, 2014, 01:20 PM
It was fun, although I couldn't shoot ken's gun for shit. Too bad the tree can't take .17HMR. one day we need to get the centerfire one out and do that at 100

thedishdoc
July 6th, 2014, 02:13 PM
It was fun shooting with you guys like always.

Mikec2003
July 8th, 2014, 09:06 PM
So, What we doing this week? Centerfire dueling tree? 100 yard rimfire tree? Throw out some ideas!

thedishdoc
July 8th, 2014, 09:35 PM
Sadly I will not be able to make this weeks shoot. My youngest turns 16 on Thursday and we are having a thing for her followed by a meal at a nice restaurant. I cant miss that for the shoot guys. Sorry. I'll be back next week for the fun and humiliation and hopefully I will have the "light LEM trigger" springs installed in the H&K along with the extended mag release. Hopefully that will help me hit a few pins lol.

Rumbler
July 8th, 2014, 09:40 PM
Dang. I am glad you brought this up, Mike.

I'm sure you all noticed that we had two new shooters last week. They had no idea that the side matches were discussed and agreed upon (mostly agreed upon) on this forum.

That brought me to the realization that we:

Talon needs to advertise this dagun league better too!
Need to sort out what kind of side match will happen well before the actual event so that notice (in non-forum venues) can be made in a timely manner.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled program . . . .

Personally I really enjoyed the 200 yard pin tops. I was disappointed that only Doc and I shot the match. With that said . . . I fully understand that a significant number of "our" shooters for whatever reason would not find participation in that feasible . . . . much less actual fun. So I won't suggest it again.

So . . one thing we have yet to do . . . steel was obviously popular. Everyone shoots centerfire handgun, everyone shoots quickly . . . . so how about a good old fashioned timed "gunfight" in the form of six head plates, whoever gets them all down in the least amount of time wins?

Same "no more than six" in the magazines to keep the field level. Distance is . . . . 15 - 20 yards . . . whatever, as long as it is not closer than fifteen.

As we only have one headplate rack, only one shooter at a time can run. But the rack has a 'remote reset' that only takes a second to reset the plates. And I am reasonably sure I can borrow a shot timer.

This is just a thought - throwing this out there. Other ideas are more than welcome, they are encouraged!

FLT
July 8th, 2014, 09:47 PM
Sounds good . Could we have 3 red and 3 blue and have two shooters at the same time like pins but at 20 or 25 or even 50 yards ? One magazine 6 rounds only .

YankeeFingergasm
July 8th, 2014, 09:49 PM
I like that Rumbler. One vote yes.

Mikec2003
July 8th, 2014, 10:07 PM
Sounds good to me, I like the red and blue idea too

Rumbler
July 8th, 2014, 10:09 PM
Sounds good . Could we have 3 red and 3 blue and have two shooters at the same time like pins but at 20 or 25 or even 50 yards ? One magazine 6 rounds only .

You sure are an evil minded old fart. :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

thedishdoc
July 8th, 2014, 10:15 PM
Dang. I am glad you brought this up, Mike.

I'm sure you all noticed that we had two new shooters last week. They had no idea that the side matches were discussed and agreed upon (mostly agreed upon) on this forum.

That brought me to the realization that we:

Talon needs to advertise this dagun league better too!
Need to sort out what kind of side match will happen well before the actual event so that notice (in non-forum venues) can be made in a timely manner.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled program . . . .

Personally I really enjoyed the 200 yard pin tops. I was disappointed that only Doc and I shot the match. With that said . . . I fully understand that a significant number of "our" shooters for whatever reason would not find participation in that feasible . . . . much less actual fun. So I won't suggest it again.

So . . one thing we have yet to do . . . steel was obviously popular. Everyone shoots centerfire handgun, everyone shoots quickly . . . . so how about a good old fashioned timed "gunfight" in the form of six head plates, whoever gets them all down in the least amount of time wins?

Same "no more than six" in the magazines to keep the field level. Distance is . . . . 15 - 20 yards . . . whatever, as long as it is not closer than fifteen.

As we only have one headplate rack, only one shooter at a time can run. But the rack has a 'remote reset' that only takes a second to reset the plates. And I am reasonably sure I can borrow a shot timer.

This is just a thought - throwing this out there. Other ideas are more than welcome, they are encouraged!Great ideas Mike. I really dug the 200 yard shoot and want to come back with the target 10/22 once I've got the new optic on it and we can do it again amongst ourselves. I hate to miss this one but cant miss my youngest girl's 16th either. I shot at your resettable rack (lol) with my .357 the day my neighbor came out and it looked like a fun target to shoot against others.

Johnny
July 9th, 2014, 12:36 PM
Rumbler,Flt was born an evil old fart.That is the reason he has lasted this long!I vote for steel @20ydrs