PDA

View Full Version : Holster discussion

Dale Gribble
June 18th, 2014, 08:51 AM
So lets talk holsters. I'm in the market so to speak.

First of all this is for my warbelt, only used for gun games, C4, my private property, or in the case of zombie out break/open hostility.

Retention? Drop?

Guns in holster with be Glock 17 and 21. I will probably buy for the 21 and the 17 will not be used with it for anything real.

0utlaw
June 18th, 2014, 08:57 AM
As I said in the other thread I love my SERPA, but don't buy one....... you'll shoot yourself....assuming you can ever get your gun out.

Saved y'all the trouble :flamer:

Rumbler
June 18th, 2014, 09:06 AM
Dale, it is certainly going to need some kind of retention.

Otherwise it is going to fall out when you take off running because the zombies are closing in on you, and you are carrying a 9mm. And well, lets be realistic, the same scenario could play out if you run across a pissed off squirrel in your yard.:p

Only slightly more seriously . . .

Drop holster - the purpose is to keep the pistol readily accessible while carrying a battle rifle and wearing body armor. Drop holsters - that I am aware of - all feature some form of active retention.

Gun games - high on the belt line, grip of the pistol is held out away from the body, "retention" is also important but not as . . . robust, as one would want in a less controlled type environment.

Your private property - depends on what you are doing. That is one of the few (in my opinion) places the $8.00 Uncle Mikes nylon holster with a velcro strap type holster is applicable and appropriate - in most cases. Now if you are doing tree work for instance, climbing 60-80 feet to top a tree . . . that $8.00 holster may not be the right choice . . . .

AB
June 18th, 2014, 09:10 AM
What kind of pistol do you run again?

Dale Gribble
June 18th, 2014, 09:12 AM
Glock 21 is in Rumber approved 45ACP.

I want one holster. I have a simple belt rig already. I don't do gun games to win gun games (if you watched me, it would be very clear that no one is in danger of being beaten by me), I do them to work out with the gun in a stress induced environment.

Tack Driver
June 18th, 2014, 09:34 AM
Without a light, there are tons of options; Safariland, G-Code, BladeTech, 5.11 Thumbdrive, etc.

I went with a Safariland, and with a drop mount. I am 100% sold on the drop belt holster over a thigh rig or standard belt holster. As you can see in the thread below, I first went with a drop mount with a leg strap over a drop leg rig. I have since ditched the strap all together since is isn't needed if your belt is worth a shit.

http://forum.capitalcitygunforum.com/showthread.php?1153-Safariland&highlight=safariland

Because I have a light mounted, my needs were a little different.

Tack Driver
June 18th, 2014, 09:35 AM
I THINK the price stopped me from going with the G-Code, and 5.11 didn't make a light bearing thumb drive.

AB
June 18th, 2014, 09:59 AM
Glock 21 is in Rumber approved 45ACP

If it was in the smaller frame Glocks I would have an entire box of holsters you could test. If you don't mind downgrading caliber, get up with me and I'll provide a Glock 22 and a ton of holsters you can try.

Dale Gribble
June 18th, 2014, 10:09 AM
If it was in the smaller frame Glocks I would have an entire box of holsters you could test. If you don't mind downgrading caliber, get up with me and I'll provide a Glock 22 and a ton of holsters you can try.

I have a 17 and a 26.

AB
June 18th, 2014, 10:34 AM
The 17 and the 22 have the same frame, so I'll bring out the box o' holsters next C4 shoot. Maybe get there early or something.

Dale Gribble
June 18th, 2014, 10:35 AM
The 17 and the 22 have the same frame, so I'll bring out the box o' holsters next C4 shoot. Maybe get there early or something.

Otay.

Dale Gribble
June 18th, 2014, 11:54 AM
Tack, what does the ALS guard buy you?

I'm looking at the Safari-land ALS with the MLS (Molle locking system) in a low ride setup.

Rumbler
June 18th, 2014, 12:21 PM
Dale,
retention security without undue effort to free the weapon from the holster. In fact, in the case of the hood - ZERO additional effort.

I have two ALS's with the hood, one for my G20 and one for my XD9. You are welcome to come by and test drive them. They are amazingly (in my opinion) effective and well thought out holsters.

. . they are expensive as hell too. :(

Dale Gribble
June 18th, 2014, 12:22 PM
I assume they will be in your range bag on Thursday, so I would love to see them.

Rumbler
June 18th, 2014, 12:23 PM
10-4. They are indeed. :)

Tack Driver
June 18th, 2014, 02:59 PM
Tack, what does the ALS guard buy you?

If you mean the "Sentry", which is the additional lock, I wanted it for when I took the belt off and if I ever had to go "hand's on". I could live without it, since it's always off anyways.

If you mean the hood, then a lot. It makes it nearly impossible to defeat the retention thumb drive from the front.

I'm looking at the Safari-land ALS with the MLS (Molle locking system) in a low ride setup.

MOLLE mounting makes for a floppy holster. You want the belt mount one that mounts to the stiff inner belt and THROUGH the padded belt.

Jafar
June 18th, 2014, 04:14 PM
Dale, I'll have a collection of gear with me this weekend if you want to try it out.

Rumbler
June 18th, 2014, 04:29 PM
Dale, just remember to make sure your mom's phone number is set to speed dial.

. . . you know, just in case there is "an accident".:cooler:

Jafar
June 18th, 2014, 04:48 PM
You could just wrap it in panty hose and not have to worry about all this shit, Dale.

Tack Driver
June 18th, 2014, 04:51 PM
You could just wrap it in panty hose and not have to worry about all this shit, Dale.

LMAO.

FLT
June 18th, 2014, 04:55 PM
Yep. Pantyhose has been the down fall of many a good man!!

Johnny
June 18th, 2014, 08:31 PM
yep,when it got dirty you could just wad it up and throw it in the dishwasher with the Tupperware presto both clean!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jmoorewar
June 18th, 2014, 08:34 PM
I have an old safriland duty holster I got for free from Larry on here.Its all I need,may look beat up but draws smooth and is comfortable.

Dale Gribble
June 18th, 2014, 10:03 PM
Dale, just remember to make sure your mom's phone number is set to speed dial.

. . . you know, just in case there is "an accident".:cooler:

Man, I thought you were joining the club.

thedishdoc
June 19th, 2014, 08:39 AM
Yep. Pantyhose has been the down fall of many a good man!!Back seam stockings. Just saying.

0utlaw
June 19th, 2014, 08:47 AM
Back seam stockings. Just saying.
Add that to the red headed chicks from the other thread and I am just ruined :yup::love:

Jmoorewar
June 19th, 2014, 09:32 PM
Man, I thought you were joining the club.
I think he should have to be grandfathered in,on account that he lets our dumb asses say what ever we want.So rumber,about your mom.......(feel free to smack me if the answer is no)

Rumbler
June 19th, 2014, 10:13 PM
No.

But I do appreciate the offer!

My mom was taken away before her time. By a CSX freight train. Seriously - it spattered her all over the place. I went and saw the car she was in to get it picked up from the tow truck yard. Parts of her were still stuck to the insides of it.

So Mom is still a pretty touchy subject for me.

Jmoorewar
June 19th, 2014, 10:40 PM
No.

My mom was taken away before her time. By a CSX freight train. Seriously - it spattered her all over the place. I went and saw the car she was in to get it picked up from the tow truck yard. Parts of her were still stuck to the insides of it.

Noted.I lost my mom September 5th 2012 to cancer,she was only 49.I think about her everyday of my life and I will till the day I die,I love her just the same in death.But,I'm not the type to let jokes piss me off,laughter helps the healing process to me.My family doesn't do funerals,we throw party's to remember the dead.The only real funerals we have had were both my grandmothers.I never met my dads father and for my moms dad we went to Gators bar on johns pass in saint Pete and spread his ashes in the gulf,he always wanted that so he could always swim with his kids and grand kids even after death.My mom wanted the same so that's what we did.Funny story when we spread my grandpas ashes in the gulf,a cop pulled up and was going to give us a ticket for littering,until we told him what we were doing and he noticed that he was pissing off about 30 half drunk emotional Irish people,myself included,he said sorry and drove off.

Tack Driver
June 19th, 2014, 11:10 PM
No.

Shit.

Man, I can't imagine.

Jafar
June 20th, 2014, 11:52 AM
No.

Jeeesus dude.

Jafar
June 20th, 2014, 11:53 AM
Noted.I lost my mom September 5th 2012 to cancer,she was only 49.I think about her everyday of my life and I will till the day I die,I love her just the same in death.But,I'm not the type to let jokes piss me off,laughter helps the healing process to me.My family doesn't do funerals,we throw party's to remember the dead.The only real funerals we have had were both my grandmothers.I never met my dads father and for my moms dad we went to Gators bar on johns pass in saint Pete and spread his ashes in the gulf,he always wanted that so he could always swim with his kids and grand kids even after death.My mom wanted the same so that's what we did.Funny story when we spread my grandpas ashes in the gulf,a cop pulled up and was going to give us a ticket for littering,until we told him what we were doing and he noticed that he was pissing off about 30 half drunk emotional Irish people,myself included,he said sorry and drove off.

Did you guys throw a funeral when your space bar died?

Dale Gribble
June 20th, 2014, 11:57 AM

I can't imagine, brutal.

Years ago when we moved to Florida I was harassed by local rednecks because I didn't have an accent. These inbred swamp monsters most favorite thing to do was to make fun of my mother. I got in fights and shit (4th grade). My mother finally asked me what the fuck was going on, and I told her. She said something like, these kids are idiots, and have no idea who she was, so why would I worry about what idiots say? Well I took that to heart.

Which is why I never want to meet Tacks mom.. Because then all the fun will be gone in CCGF for me.

Jafar
June 20th, 2014, 11:59 AM
Which is why I never want to meet Tacks mom.. Because then all the fun will be gone in CCGF for me.

Especially when you see how heinous she looks.

Jmoorewar
June 20th, 2014, 08:02 PM
Did you guys throw a funeral when your space bar died?
No,but I did say a silent prayer when I straight murdered your moms sweet Georgia peach.

Dale Gribble
June 26th, 2014, 10:36 AM
So here is what I am thinking.

Safariland 6075UBL & Safariland 6377 holster.

http://www.copsplus.com/prodnum12642.php

http://www.copsplus.com/prodnum8858.php

Going onto a Blackhawk Enhanced Military Belt

http://www.copsplus.com/prodnum2948.php

The Blackhawk Military belt will be the core for my battle/war belt. I'm going to attempt to use this one that I already own:

http://www.amazon.com/Military-MOLLE-Eagle-Industries-Padded/dp/B00BEKVAJK

By removing the thin inner belt.

Tack Driver
June 26th, 2014, 10:39 AM
I'm going to attempt to use this one that I already own:

http://www.amazon.com/Military-MOLLE-Eagle-Industries-Padded/dp/B00BEKVAJK

By removing the thin inner belt.

There is an opening at the bottom so you can get the UBL to the inner belt?

Dale Gribble
June 26th, 2014, 10:41 AM
There is an opening at the bottom so you can get the UBL to the inner belt?

No, but I know how to sew and I know how to remove stitches. I've read some other folks have done the same with good result.

Tack Driver
June 26th, 2014, 10:43 AM
No, but I know how to sew and I know how to remove stitches. I've read some other folks have done the same with good result.

Sounds like you're GTG then.

I know how to sew

Fag.