PDA

View Full Version : Give me a good reason........

YankeeFingergasm
May 30th, 2014, 08:38 PM
Does anyone have a valid and very good reason I shouldn't buy this? After rebate it's $250. That includes free shipping.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/937051/product?cm_mmc=pe_weekly-_-supersonic-_-ssp_rcbs_20140530_1-_-AdBlock01

Mikec2003
May 30th, 2014, 08:45 PM
because you're not buying one for me.

It's a good kit, I like that it comes with chamfer and deburring stuff and a hand primer

Airgator0470
May 30th, 2014, 08:52 PM
Hell of a deal if you ask me...

mapper
May 30th, 2014, 08:55 PM
Kit looks good, hand primer works well, and 505 scale is good..
Good quality that you can always use..
price all the stuff out seperately and you'll see..real good deal..

Rumbler
May 30th, 2014, 09:46 PM
It is a great deal. And a good basic package.

I condone this acquisition.

. . as long as you remember that you will be buying a Dillon down the road to load pistol and poodle shooter ammo (in volume) . . . :cooler:

YankeeFingergasm
May 30th, 2014, 09:49 PM
The elders of reloading have spoken and all with approval. It will be mine!

AB
May 30th, 2014, 09:59 PM
I will be the voice of dissent, then!

I recommend going big from the beginning. I would get one of the Dillon progressives if you are more interested in having ammo than the process of reloading it. Some folks just like the activity of reloading, but I don't. I went from a single stage kit to a Dillon 650 and never looked back other than to wish I had done it sooner!

Perhaps I'm underestimating what I got out of reloading with a single stage for 10 years, but from what I remember it was painfully slow and tedious. If you just actually like reloading, go for it.

$300 is a good start towards a Dillon. I'd wait another paycheck or two and go Blue.

TargetShooting
May 30th, 2014, 10:08 PM
I will be the voice of dissent, then!

I recommend going big from the beginning. I would get one of the Dillon progressives if you are more interested in having ammo than the process of reloading it. Some folks just like the activity of reloading, but I don't. I went from a single stage kit to a Dillon 650 and never looked back other than to wish I had done it sooner!

Perhaps I'm underestimating what I got out of reloading with a single stage for 10 years, but from what I remember it was painfully slow and tedious. If you just actually like reloading, go for it.

$300 is a good start towards a Dillon. I'd wait another paycheck or two and go Blue.

AB can you list a complete Dillon 650 package that I can use immediately to reload .45 ACP, and .308? All components I mean.

Rumbler
May 30th, 2014, 10:16 PM
Can't do precision .308 on a progressive, AB.

I know YF has that in mind. I just don't think he has considered yet that he can reload his pistol ammo for about twenty cents on the dollar with a progressive.

So come heck or high water he is going to wind up with both. He may just not realize it yet. :cheers:

Rumbler
May 30th, 2014, 10:20 PM
AB can you list a complete Dillon 650 package that I can use immediately to reload .45 ACP, and .308? All components I mean.

David, do not do that. Do not start reloading your own ammo. You WILL kill yourself (at a minimum).

YankeeFingergasm
May 30th, 2014, 10:23 PM
Can't do precision .308 on a progressive, AB.

I know YF has that in mind. I just don't think he has considered yet that he can reload his pistol ammo for about twenty cents on the dollar with a progressive.

So come heck or high water he is going to wind up with both. He may just not realize it yet. :cheers:

Yup....agree with all that is said above.

AB
May 30th, 2014, 10:29 PM
<----Not a rifle guy!

I don't know what kind of rifle precision a progressive is capable of, but I agree most reloaders end up with both!

TS, I reload because I can't afford to shoot factory in the volume I do. If I were you, I'd stick with factory for now and think about reloading only if you had a specific need.

mapper
May 30th, 2014, 10:30 PM
David, do not do that. Do not start reloading your own ammo. You WILL kill yourself (at a minimum).

note to self:
chose the shooting position as far away from TS as possible, if he is shooting his handloads.
a county or 2 seems a safe distance.

Tack Driver
May 31st, 2014, 01:09 AM
note to self:
chose the shooting position as far away from TS as possible, if he is shooting his handloads.
a county or 2 seems a safe distance.

Wait.........didn't I give him slack on reloading because............at the direction of.....................yeah, what happened there?

Johnny
May 31st, 2014, 08:13 AM
Yankee, I have been using a rcbs rocker chucker for over 40 yrs,it is one of the best.I think that is a hellave good buy.I would not recommend any one start reloading on a progressive until they have reloaded for a while to get the basics down>Yes dillion makes good equip. also ,had one sold one!

Airgator0470
May 31st, 2014, 02:46 PM
Precise, carefully handcrafted, finely tuned, extremely accurate ammunition... single stage is the way to go.

Cheaper, bulk, adequate, functionally accurate ammunition... progressive is the way to go.

I do both on a Rock Chucker and have done so for a long time.

AB is more likely correct in projecting that many reloaders end up with both over time.

Neither is a waste of money as far as getting one before the other as they both are application specific in my opinion. The single stage first route lets one get firmly acquainted to the processes of ammunition manufacturing.

If I could ONLY get one, I'd get a single stage.

Dale Gribble
May 31st, 2014, 02:54 PM
A single stage is a very important tool. However don't overlook a turret press, which can be run as a single stage.

mapper
May 31st, 2014, 03:06 PM
A single stage is a very important tool. However don't overlook a turret press, which can be run as a single stage.

or self indexing when you have a good grasp of the processes..

a lot to be said for the die being directly over the center of the ram....especially in sizing operations
rifle I will run in single stage mode, manually turning the turret from charge to seating die..with prepped brass.
or do multiple operations on the same case..all about options for me.

pistol, i will run in indexing mode and pull the lever 3-4 times for a complete round.

but that is what makes it interesting..there are a lot of ways to get there.
and none of them wrong. they all have their benefits.

this was a acceptable compromise for me.. (cost, precision, speed, caliber swaps, single stage use, etc..)
every one is diffrent.

but all this is off topic anyway.. op was about a single stage press, which always serves a need on a bench for something..and makes great precise ammo.. and no matter which one, you need to understand what is happening in each process.

substratum
May 31st, 2014, 04:25 PM
It's basically what I bought in 1974, and still use today. It'll be a functioning family heirloom someday.

AUfish11
May 31st, 2014, 04:36 PM
Yankee. The same kit is cheaper here:
https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item/000449361/Rock_Chucker_Supreme_Master_Reloading_Kit_

YankeeFingergasm
May 31st, 2014, 04:47 PM
Yankee. The same kit is cheaper here:
https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item/000449361/Rock_Chucker_Supreme_Master_Reloading_Kit_

Yeah I saw that but it won't qualify for the $50 . That is, unless I only have to spend $300 total on different pieces. Then it would be better.

mapper
May 31st, 2014, 06:05 PM
Yeah I saw that but it won't qualify for the $50 . That is, unless I only have to spend $300 total on different pieces. Then it would be better.

YF,
from what I understand reading the rebate form, it is 50 bux off a maximum of 300, send in original invoice as well as barcodes off the boxes/packaging.. whether it is 300 .01 or more, max is 50 rebate..but it has to be in rcbs product..

I found it easier to get all at once,,since I was close..but that is just me

you can always use shellholders unless you are getting a lee die set, as they come with them, or something to bell case mouths on pistol brass, or a crimp remover..or a brush.. or powder stand..anything rcbs makes..not just big ticket items..

Rumbler
May 31st, 2014, 06:28 PM
YF, your kit is missing some vital pieces to turn out precision rifle ammo. You realize that, right?

Like:

Case trimmer
Vernier caliper (better would be a caliper AND a "bullet comparator")
Concentricity gauge (optional but just barely in my opinion)
Tumbler & media & separator
Case lube
Headspace gauge
Crimp remover (if you ever want to use NATO brass)
and maybe a few other incidentals . . . . :p

TargetShooting
May 31st, 2014, 07:28 PM

What the hell? killing myself? Is that an over-statement? how?

0utlaw
May 31st, 2014, 07:31 PM
I'm sure it has to do with your excessive attention to detail....

http://ih0.redbubble.net/image.8082735.2874/sticker,375x360.u1.png

YankeeFingergasm
May 31st, 2014, 09:42 PM
Please make it go away

Rumbler
May 31st, 2014, 09:55 PM
Please make it go away

The details make ALL the difference. Knowledge is power. Flying blind is asking for a collision with Mt. Everest.

Really. YF I don't/didn't mean to offend you. But dammit this is just the kind of situation where the abstract needs to be reinforced with a reality check - if David is paying attention I think he may have gotten that.

YankeeFingergasm
May 31st, 2014, 09:58 PM
That was horrific. I think it sends the message home very well. #1 Pay attention.

mapper
May 31st, 2014, 10:14 PM
TS see the last graph on this page..
pay attention to the pressure spike in relation to time

http://www.shootingsoftware.com/barrel.htm

Rumbler
May 31st, 2014, 10:32 PM
http://www.thegunzone.com/m1akb/762d15.jpg

This is . . . was, no sissy gun.

YankeeFingergasm
May 31st, 2014, 10:53 PM
Wow

0utlaw
May 31st, 2014, 10:57 PM

That should buff out.............

NOT

FLT
June 1st, 2014, 08:51 AM

Proof positive. People who make things that are fool proof fail to take into mind the ingenuity of fools!

TargetShooting
June 1st, 2014, 12:15 PM
TS see the last graph on this page..
pay attention to the pressure spike in relation to time

http://www.shootingsoftware.com/barrel.htm

Hell yeah I saw that. The graphic image doesn't bother me much but I sure will make mistakes multi-tasking while reloading.

My purpose for reloading is: 1. Accuracy for .308 long range shooting; 2. Find a new hobby to kill time.

Since I'd be busy for a while I think I'll wait till I finish all bob's reloads and all my FGMM SMK 308 in stock, which won't happen anytime soon.