PDA

View Full Version : .223 Reloading Recommendations

Jas8340
May 24th, 2014, 06:48 PM
I just completed my first ever reloading class today with Bob today. Excellent class! Now that I feel like I have a much better understanding, I'm going to start purchasing everything I need to get a reloading bench started as I see things on sale. I'm not in a super big hurry because I just don't have the room for bench right now.

What I would like to do is start purchasing components. I've been saving my brass for the past 18 months and I have a fair amount. I need to get recommendations for a good powder(s) and primers. I'm not really looking for that super accurate load right now, just something I can cut my teeth on and go from there.

Also, something local would get awesome too!

Thanks!

Rumbler
May 24th, 2014, 07:13 PM
Bullet weight will have an influence on selecting the correct powder.

Just this week I worked on load development for a member here shooting 69gr SMKs. IMR 4895 is what he had to work with, so while certainly not my first choice we did manage to get 1/2 MOA (@200 yards) with a muzzle velocity of ~2880 FPS from his 20" barrel.

Primers. Remember that the AR has a floating firing pin. Thus the harder the primer the better. CCI makes a "NATO" primer and as surprising as it may sound WOLF makes an excellent hard primer in small rifle.

With that said . . . . I've noticed a significant dent in the primer when I loaded some test rounds using Winchester small rifle primers. I pulled the bullets, saved the powder, and threw the cases away. Slamfire is a bad thing if the bolt is unlocked when it happens. 8|

YankeeFingergasm
May 25th, 2014, 03:42 PM
It was good to meet you today. I enjoyed the class and going through what you're doing also. The first thing I did was buy a case cleaner. Since it can take a little while I figured I'd at least have the brass ready to go when I got it. After that I started picking up a pound of powder here and there and the same for primers and bullets. I bought this Lee reloading stand (see below). I think it'll be fine as a temporary solution until I go big and now I need a press and the goodies.

Rumbler
May 25th, 2014, 05:51 PM
Don't under estimate the value of that cement block. In fact I'd try and figure out how to suspend a couple of them under there.

It is almost impossible to make precision ammo if your stuffs move.

YankeeFingergasm
May 25th, 2014, 05:54 PM
Don't under estimate the value of that cement block. In fact I'd try and figure out how to suspend a couple of them under there.

It is almost impossible to make precision ammo if your stuffs move.

Yeah I was think I could stack some extra weight on the shelf in the middle

mapper
May 25th, 2014, 06:41 PM
It looks like a good place to put a ammo can or 2 full of bullets..
Storage and ballast ar the same time.

What kind of press are you thinking about..
Single stage, turret or progressive..
I see the bench plate so it gives options..

YankeeFingergasm
May 25th, 2014, 07:02 PM
It looks like a good place to put a ammo can or 2 full of bullets..
Storage and ballast ar the same time.

What kind of press are you thinking about..
Single stage, turret or progressive..
I see the bench plate so it gives options..

It's going to be single stage. Cabela's has the RCBS on sale and RCBS has a $50 mail in rebate also. Leaning real close to that one.

mapper
May 25th, 2014, 07:13 PM
Thanks for reminding me I need to send in my rebate. :)
50 off 300..
There is always a use for a single stage..

Jas8340
May 25th, 2014, 08:38 PM
It was nice to meet you guys as well. I started sorting my brass last night. I'll look at picking up a brass cleaner as soon as I get paid next month. I've also been looking at a RCBS single stage press since we used one in class and I really liked it. Plus it is on sale with a rebate.

mapper
May 25th, 2014, 11:26 PM
Sierra ar 15 lload data
http://accurateshooter.net/Downloads/sierra223ar.pdf

Sierra 223 bolt gun data
http://accurateshooter.net/Downloads/sierra223rembolt.pdf

Like rumbler said, diffrent weights match up better with diffrent powders.
For the 77 gr I am using varget because I have it..and I can use it in diffrent calibers..

For 55 gr I would use something else that is more suited to lighter bullets

I am planning on using h335 as there is data down to 40 gr with that, and the most important thing..I have it

Look at the load data and you'll see what we mean.
If you are planning on looking at loading other calibers, look at load data for them
You may find the same powder works for it or not..

For heavy 223's I can use the same powder as a 308 load..(varget)
Like always, check more than one source of load data to see if it seems in line with the other.

Airgator0470
May 25th, 2014, 11:47 PM
As far as 55gr FMJ plinking/blasting ammo is concerned, it's hard to be Hornady's FMJ bullets with their 55gr Soft Point performing well too... be careful of "bargains" on pulls because as you can see from the class... pulls can have some pretty nasty marks.

Personally, I've not found any distinct advantages or disadvantages in primers when using the three major players... Winchester, Federal, and CCI.

Powders for plinking that I've used the most include W-748, AA2330, and IMR 3031... there are lots of powders that "will do" for plinking. Too bad the surplus pull down powders are not available.

Accuracy loads will just simply depend on your rifle... but I've never seen a rifle that would not shoot Sierra 52gr HPBT Match bullets of Nosler 55gr Ballistic Tip bullets well. With the heavier bullets, such as the Sierra 69gr or 77gr HPBT Match bullets, I have rifles that love them and rifles that hate them... so it's a shot an see proposition.