PDA

View Full Version : 460 S&W Magnum Reloading

TargetShooting
May 16th, 2014, 09:51 PM
Done bought my MAO.

I'm gonna reload soon...need tons help, heads up reloaders.

12bhunting
May 16th, 2014, 10:00 PM
It may have already happened bit I think airgator was doing some reloading classes. Or go to DSH and take a class. What ever you do take a class from someone who has there shit together. Really man take a class before you hurt yourself.

mapper
May 16th, 2014, 10:02 PM
Bob has a class next Saturday....on 5/24

Reloading takes a lot of listening and attention to detail.

It would be money well spent, untill then save your brass.

Read a book or 3 that go over the step by step process and explain why..

Abc's of reloading, modern reloading by richard lee, lyman reloading handbook 49th edition have good info on the process.. I am sure there are others,. But I used them when I was getting familiar.

Ask lots of questions next week after reading and take notes.
Those are the best suggestions I can give.

Rumbler
May 16th, 2014, 10:15 PM
Yup.

Don't guess with the 460S&W. Don't assume. Don't take anything for granted either.

That is a very serious 'big boy' cartridge. If you screw up you can easily kill yourself any anyone else within several yards of you.

JD has a 460 S&W I'm going to reload for and I have been studying data for the last month. I won't load a round until I am satisfied I know all I need to know to do it safely.

Tack Driver
May 16th, 2014, 10:23 PM
I'm gonna reload soon.

This is one of the best things to happen to CCGF since, well, the bag o' parts.

mapper
May 16th, 2014, 10:25 PM
And always check multiple sources of load data to see if they agree, powder mfg, load books, and any and everywhere you can find data. Start low and work up slow.. know what to look for for pressure signs.
Attention to detail, is the key.

Some load books do not pressure test ammo, others do.
Don't rush..research, read, and pay attention to detail.

There was a post on pressure signs.. I haven't seen all the info in one place before.
Read, and research. Then do it again.

Did I say attention to detail is the key...

Tack Driver
May 16th, 2014, 10:29 PM
Did I say attention to detail is the key...

Yeah, David's good at that.

TargetShooting
May 17th, 2014, 02:05 AM
A fresh meat begins his reload journey on 460 S&W 300gr - anything is possible!

polebarn
May 17th, 2014, 05:46 AM
MAO?-maximum attack option?

Johnny
May 17th, 2014, 07:43 AM
TS,I have been reloading for 50+ yrs will help you if you need it

Tack Driver
May 17th, 2014, 09:03 AM
anything is possible!

Quoted for truth.

12bhunting
May 17th, 2014, 09:17 AM
You know the more I think about it this thread is kinda scary.

Tack Driver
May 17th, 2014, 09:19 AM
You know the more I think about it this thread is kinda scary.

That just hit you? Fuck bro. You've gotta' work on your threat assessment. :D

polebarn
May 17th, 2014, 09:29 AM
So which has a greater chance of blowing up? A TS reload or a meth lab?

12bhunting
May 17th, 2014, 09:33 AM
That just hit you? Fuck bro. You've gotta' work on your threat assessment. :D

Woke up sober. Last night the idea was kinda funny...

Tack Driver
May 17th, 2014, 09:34 AM
So which has a greater chance of blowing up? A TS reload or a meth lab?

Tight race. TS reloading in a meth lab would be a guarantee.

Understandable.

TargetShooting
May 17th, 2014, 11:11 AM

Same here.

did I say I want to reload?

mapper
May 17th, 2014, 11:52 AM
Per lyman handbook 49 th edition,
The 460 s&w revolvers do have the advantage of being able to fire 45 colt and 454 casull ammo if lighter loads are desired. it is also stated in the standard catalog of s&w 3rd edition.

So in 460 it can be loaded. From 240 gr to 325 gr
In 454 from 225 to 325 gr
In 45 colt from 185 to 255 gr.

Looks pretty versatile, as far as bullet weights and powder selections, and can go from mild to wild.
Velocities from 615 fps with a 185 gr and unique in 45 colt
to 2246 fps with a 240 gr and h110 in 460
But that is ONLY looking at one resource and you would want to check other sources of data

But you could tailor anything inbetween if you load for it.

Hmmmmm.....I don't have a x frame ......yet.....

This is not a caliber I have loaded for..just passing on info in books..

Rumbler
May 17th, 2014, 01:55 PM
" . . . . 454 casull ammo if lighter loads are desired"

See what I mean? Crazy. That is my kinda wheelgun!:>" smilieid="16" class="inlineimg">

Johnny
May 17th, 2014, 03:10 PM
Oh fuck look out tables,we already have one hit with a 500s&w,just thik one per round with those two!!!!!!

Tack Driver
May 17th, 2014, 03:11 PM
I'm not sure how I feel about a Chinese guy that named his revolver "Mao".

Cattle/Horses
May 17th, 2014, 03:16 PM
We have any insurance agents on the forum? I'd like to see about buying a life insurance policy on an acquaintance of mine with me as the beneficiary.

TargetShooting
May 17th, 2014, 03:25 PM

Mao? Evil or Hero, VIII.

But since you're this sensitive, don't go to Vietnamese restaurants, Chinese restaurants, Mideast Restaurants, Russian restaurants, Japanese restaurants, German restaurants, Italian restaurants, African restaurants, French restaurants...

Truth be told, I am dieting on BBQ and Seafood everyday. Last time I ate a full slab of ribs it was at 1:00AM this morning.

TargetShooting
May 17th, 2014, 03:26 PM
" . . . . 454 casull ammo if lighter loads are desired"

See what I mean? Crazy. That is my kinda wheelgun!:>" smilieid="16" class="inlineimg">

Shot some .45 Long Colt, not much recoil felt. The 300 Federal once kicked hard.

mapper
May 17th, 2014, 03:30 PM
When he starts asking questions about diffrences in press types, scale types, powder burn rates, why some manuals have pressure listed and others don't, as well as powder choices, brass choices, cast vs plated vs powder coated vs jacketed and diffrences between magnum primers and standard primers, he will have searched some info out and realized that the education is just beginning.

I won't discourage anyone who wants to load, but will tell them that they need to search out as much info as possible and have a idea of what they want to load for and the amount of ammo they will go through before making a choice on what equipment to look at.

Kind of like a dog training book I read years ago.. it was easier to start with the finished result of what you wanted, first. Then explain what the steps are to get there.

TargetShooting
May 17th, 2014, 03:36 PM
When he starts asking questions about diffrences in press types, scale types, powder burn rates, why some manuals have pressure listed and others don't, as well as powder choices, brass choices, cast vs plated vs powder coated vs jacketed and diffrences between magnum primers and standard primers, he will have searched some info out and realized that the education is just beginning.

I won't discourage anyone who wants to load, but will tell them that they need to search out as much info as possible and have a idea of what they want to load for and the amount of ammo they will go through before making a choice on what equipment to look at.

Kind of like a dog training book I read years ago.. it was easier to start with the finished result of what you wanted, first. Then explain what the steps are to get there.

With a couple shit stirring posers I am not sure I'd post anything any more.
To me it's all about Pro 2A and promote it through my learning curve, but not anyone sees it that way.

Anyhow, mapper. When I start to reload and if still plan to ask questions, we better change reload-section from PUBLIC to PRIVATE. Know what I mean?

mapper
May 17th, 2014, 03:36 PM
Shot some .45 Long Colt, not much recoil felt. The 300 Federal once kicked hard.

Cowboy loads are about 750 fps and are mild, the + p are 1200 fps and 260 gr, I have seen some that approach 44 mag territory...
Then you can step up to casull..
If not enough you can go to 460..

The idea being you can make them what you want if you load..

mapper
May 17th, 2014, 03:42 PM
With a couple shit stirring posers I am not sure I'd post anything any more.
To me it's all about Pro 2A and promote it through my learning curve, but not anyone sees it that way.

Anyhow, mapper. When I start to reload and if still plan to ask questions, we change reload-section from PUBLIC to PRIVATE. Know what I mean?

Still won't stop the turd stirrers, but will keep the guests from looking at dirty laundry.
Besides serious questions about a serious topic that requires research may change the outlook of some.
I have tried to keep this thread serious and on topic, as reloading is no place for mistakes.

Still have to get through the " if" and " when" stage, but if I can answer questions I will.

TargetShooting
May 17th, 2014, 03:56 PM
Still won't stop the turd stirrers, but will keep the guests from looking at dirty laundry.
Besides serious questions about a serious topic that requires research may change the outlook of some.
I have tried to keep this thread serious and on topic, as reloading is no place for mistakes.

Still have to get through the " if" and " when" stage, but if I can answer questions I will.

Brace yourself Mapper, I am "A million Questions". lol

mapper
May 17th, 2014, 04:08 PM
Start here
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=230171
Another good one
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=545957
Yet another..
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=542360
And another..
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=538504
Another..
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=536758

Get the books
abc's of reloading
Modern reloading by richard lee
Lyman reloading manual 49 the edition

Read them.. the abc's does not have any load data in it but good info on the process.
Lyman and lee have good info on process as well as load data
Then you can start looking at powders listed and see that with some thought you can use a minimum of powders for a wide variety of loads...some are better suited than others..

That is enough to keep you busy for a while..

Everyone you ask a question about a brand of press or dies will tell you their favorite..
The idea at this point is to understand about the diffrences between the types..not necessarily the brands..don't get lost in that...yet

Still think concepts...get through that first.

Come back and ask questions after doing the above

Tack Driver
May 17th, 2014, 05:01 PM
Mao? Evil or Hero, VIII.

But since you're this sensitive, don't go to Vietnamese restaurants, Chinese restaurants, Mideast Restaurants, Russian restaurants, Japanese restaurants, German restaurants, Italian restaurants, African restaurants, French restaurants...

Truth be told, I am dieting on BBQ and Seafood everyday. Last time I ate a full slab of ribs it was at 1:00AM this morning.

He's attributed with the death of 40-70 million of YOUR people. If you're cool enough with that to name a gun after him, I don't care.

Johnny
May 17th, 2014, 05:07 PM
TS,like I said I will help you all that I can.Always like to help people get started in reloading!

YankeeFingergasm
May 17th, 2014, 08:03 PM

I don't think he picked up my sarcasm or joke when I suggested that.

Tack Driver
May 19th, 2014, 01:52 PM
I don't think he picked up my sarcasm or joke when I suggested that.

Maybe not, or maybe he doesn't see Mao in the same light that we do. He seemed to imply that.

TargetShooting
May 19th, 2014, 02:54 PM
Maybe not, or maybe he doesn't see Mao in the same light that we do. He seemed to imply that.

Maybe you snored too much shit

Tack Driver
May 19th, 2014, 02:58 PM
Mao? Evil or Hero.........

Doesn't seem like I'm the one on drugs.

Who would think Mao is a hero?

Rumbler
May 19th, 2014, 05:34 PM
Look! He has a rock zit on his chin !!!!

thedishdoc
May 19th, 2014, 05:52 PM
Look! He has a rock zit on his chin !!!!
Madest thou look.

Rumbler
May 19th, 2014, 05:55 PM
Ahhh. Joketh #1.

0utlaw
May 19th, 2014, 06:19 PM
So endeth the joke