PDA

View Full Version : 22 K-hornet Load Data

August 12th, 2012, 10:09 AM
Recently converted my hornet to a k-hornet. Not many K-Hornets around but I'll ask it anyways.

Anyone got load data for 22 K-hornet? I have a few but would like have a few other options.

FLT
August 20th, 2012, 09:14 PM
K hornets are a little rare around here. Who did the rechambering if you don't mind my asking?

August 29th, 2012, 10:18 PM
Sorry for the delayed response. A really good friend of mine out west did the reaming. He's a long time gunsmith.

I believe the guy on the west side of town has the skill to do it, just not sure if he has the reamer. Forgot the guys name but his shop in on Cap. Cir. NW near Uncle Bob's storage. He's a good guy.

noleveyor
August 29th, 2012, 10:23 PM
Can you still shoot standard 22 Hornet rounds in a rifle rechambered to K Hornet?

FLT
August 30th, 2012, 02:25 AM
Yes you can . It's one of the few Wildcats that can still use factory ammo .

talon2
August 30th, 2012, 06:57 AM
Shooting standard Hornet ammo in a K Hornet is how you "fire form" the brass for the K.

Can you still shoot standard 22 Hornet rounds in a rifle rechambered to K Hornet?

August 30th, 2012, 09:55 PM
My K-hornet shoots factory hornet or reloaded hornet ammo extremely well. I would almost say it shoots hornet rounds the same as it did before the reaming. You do loose a few feet of velocity due to case "fire-forming", but I have noticed no difference in accuracy. The k-hornets does shoot higher due to the increase in velocity so you can't expect the same zero out of both.

Benifits of the k-hornet: longer case life, more case capacity, and increased accuracy. I can now cloverleaf three shot groups, covering it with a dime at 100yards. Before the reaming I could only do about 1 inch or so at 100yards.

Accuracy comes because the k-hornet headspaces on the new shoulder instead of the rim of the case.

As for fireforming, if I don't shoot factory ammo I just buy the cheapest components I can find to load hornet rounds. I have heard of people packing grits over powder instead of a bullet to fireform but I wouldn't trust it.