PDA

View Full Version : 9mm 17 gr. Plated Recipe?

CoachLongShot
April 24th, 2014, 09:00 AM
Anybody got a good recipe they want to share? Particularly using Titegroup powder.

I hate auto correct!! That's 147gr. Plated bullets.

Rumbler
April 24th, 2014, 09:24 AM
Seems like I worked a load up using titegroup. I'll have to check my data at work but I believe I abandoned the idea because of extremely low powder volume. The powder was moving around in the case causing erratic velocities.

But I could be mistaken. I need to look at my load book. I know that the kids (RAFSU pistol team) load the crap out of titegroup in 9mm, but they shoot really lite bullets so they use a lot more powder per cartridge.

Anyway . . . I'll follow up on this ASAP Coach. I gotta drop laundry off at the laundry place first though.

CoachLongShot
April 25th, 2014, 09:36 AM
Thanks Rumbler. I didn't find the recommended charges on Hodgen's site. (Which by the way if you haven't seen the new Hodgen Load Data site, it's pretty slick). They have charges from 3.2 up to 3.6, that runs around 800+ to 900+ fps. That would keep me in the minimum power factor I need to compete.

I'm gonna run some up tomorrow and then take my chrono over to Talon and see how they pattern and how how fast they're running. I'll drop my information here just in case someone ever gets the "147gr plated with Titegroup" questions on a trivia game show!

Coach.

Rumbler
April 25th, 2014, 05:36 PM
Thanks Coach.

I did check my records, and I apologize for forgetting to followup on this thread.

Try as I might - even hand measuring charges with a digital scale - I couldn't get consistent velocity using tightgroup and 147 grain bullets. The standard deviation was at least 75FPS.

I do not know if it has any bearing on my results, but the bullet style I used is the Gator Snot hardcast lead from Bayou bullets. It is a truncated cone flat base.

My normal load (for Talon classes) is 5.6gr of AA#5 behind those bullets using Winchester primers. Standard deviation runs 20 FPS or less. By the way, that is a fairly hot load. As you have heard before I am a firm believer that practice ammo should at a minimum equate to defensive ammo. :)

CoachLongShot
April 27th, 2014, 06:36 PM
For anyone that cares...

Seems the max load gives me the best accuracy in my XDm 9mm. They are running about 1020 FPS, so plenty fast for making minimum power factor in USPSA, and still slow enough that I don't feel a real heavy recoil. This was chrono'ed at about 10 to 15 feet in the shade, and the paper plate is at 25 yards. (Whatever the distance at bay 2 at Talon). Anyway for what it's worth, this is what I get.

Coach.

3.2 grains - Avg. FPS - 915 - PF - 134
3.3 grains - Avg. FPS - 963 - PF - 141 - S.D. 7
3.4 grains - Avg. FPS - 965 - PF - 141 - S.D. 7
3.5 grains - Avg. FPS - 980 - PF - 144 -
3.6 grains - Avg. FPS - 1020 - PF - 149
C.O.L. - ~1.225 on all of my test rounds.
Measured using standard XDm 9mm

Rumbler
April 27th, 2014, 06:46 PM
Bay 2 is 15 yards, Coach.

. . sorry. ;)

Were you shooting controlled pairs, or each shot as an individual?

CoachLongShot
April 28th, 2014, 06:06 AM
Individual take your time, breath, squeeze, make sure you don't shoot your chorno shots. "Bay 2 is 15yrds....", must need my glasses next time!

Coach.