PDA

View Full Version : favorite tools or accessories on the bench (rifle)

mapper
April 20th, 2014, 08:54 PM
Since rifle brass requires more prep to load than pistol,
What are some of the favorite tools/ accessories on the bench
That make life easier for loading rifle.

Whether these be a power attachment for a trimmer, a caliber specific trimmer, a power trimmer, or a motorized multiple head case prep center, or a scale and powder dispenser combo, or anything that makes the process go smoother.

I started out with a manual trim pro, then took the handle off it, and powered it by a drill, then changed to a cts motorized trimmer. I started off with a hand held chamfer debur tool and changed to a 5 station case prep center for chamfer,debur, neck brushing, crimp removal and primer pocket cleaning.

This speeded up case prep and made things easier for me.

Added a rcbs chargemaster and it speeded up charging rifle cases..

And a dillon media separator....no more shaking cases to get media out after tossing in a media pan or colander..

I wish I knew this a lot sooner...
Gone are the tedious aspects of removing media from brass, measuring/ trimming, chamfer/debur/primer pocket and neck cleaning/crimp removal, and weighing/trickling powder to charge cases..

Not cheap, but worthwhile to me....

Rumbler
April 20th, 2014, 08:59 PM
I use the cordless screw driver and five station brass prep center also.

But I think my favorite tool so far has to be the Dillon Super Swage.

. . but that may be because I have yet to get one of those fancy auto meeting scale gizmos yet.

I really want one though . . .

http://www.6mmbr.com/i/Products/RCBS1500x275.jpg

Cattle/Horses
April 20th, 2014, 09:07 PM
A reading light with a 100 watt white bulb and pair of 10X loops, for when I really want to get a good look at something.

mapper
April 20th, 2014, 09:09 PM
They are nice for rifle...no problems metering stick powders..
i really like mine..wHile I still can throw a charge a couple of tenths less in a lyman 55 and trickle up in a 505 scale pan, it is faster and easier with the chargemaster..

Pistol the lee pro disk meters my powder of choice very well..no plans on changing that.

Tack Driver
April 21st, 2014, 10:12 AM
Beer.

Dale Gribble
April 21st, 2014, 10:17 AM
#1 Lee Precision Bench Plate.

I have my progressive, single stage and a vise mounted to adapters, so I can change the bench at will.

https://fsreloading.com/lee-precision-bench-plate-90251.html?utm_source=google_merchant_center&utm_medium=datafeed&utm_content=CSE&utm_campaign=google_merchant_center&gclid=COKC3Jfi8b0CFZJj7Aod8HYA0A

#2 Big freaking magnifier light.

http://www.harborfreight.com/fluorescent-magnifying-lamp-60643.html

mapper
April 21st, 2014, 06:55 PM
I will agree on the multi configured bench.. I went a little diffrent direction to get there.
http://forum.capitalcitygunforum.com/showthread.php?3031-new-bench

I may have to try the BFML....

I did see some led strip lights that go in the press that while a little blingy, gave off light where it was needed..

GrantA
May 21st, 2014, 01:35 PM
I like the way I have my brass prep tools setup now. RCBS case prep center with primer pocket uniformer, flash hole deburring tool, outside chamfer tool, basic inside chamfer tool (I use this to remove crimps) and VLD inside chamfer tool. This is right next to my benchtop drill press, and in it is a Lee cutter/case length guage
I take care of the primer pocket and flash hole, then put the brass into the Lee case length gauge shellholder, trim on the drill press, chamfer, and it's done

GrantA
May 22nd, 2014, 10:50 PM
OK I just tried a new (to me) tool and wanted to report on it. If you haven't tried a Satern aluminium powder funnel, don't hesitate. Not the universal one but the caliber specific ones, they fit nicely (I checked 223 & 30-06 real quick) and NO MORE static! Just dump the powder and go to the next one.

mapper
May 22nd, 2014, 11:18 PM
Good tip on the funnel...
I haven't had static issues with powder yet..

My normal method for brass prep is
Lube case through fingers of left hand with imperial wax, dip mouth in mica
Put in turret press, size then move turret to universal decap, pull with right hand invert case
Put in http://www.ctstrimmer.com/power-trimmers/29-cts-power-trimmer.html
Cts trimmer, then chamfer, debur, clean mouth, invert case and cut crimp and brush primer pocket on rcbs prep center,

As far as loading the turret has a lee rifle charge die and funnel, the chargemaster dispenses the powder, and by the time I put the powder in the case, put the scale pan back in place and seat a bullet the next charge is ready.

It has taken a lot of the tedious aspects out of it.
But I still have a 5-0-5 scale, and a powder dispenser and a trickler, but don't use them as much.

Yes I'll be the first to admit there are cheaper ways to go. Than this, but it achieves the same goal.

Has anyone tried the new trimmer case prep from frankford?
It looks interesting as it seems to offer some good value and adjustability.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/628405/product?cm_mmc=pe_weekly-_-specials-_-specials_brandlogos_20140513_1-_-AdBlock06

Of the three things, trimmer, case prep, or chargemaster it is hard to say which I like best..
But if I could have only one it would be the rcbs case prep..

GrantA
May 23rd, 2014, 06:47 AM
Mapper I'm curious why you use a universal decapper after sizing. I assume your sizing die still has the expander button since I don't see that listed as a separate step

mapper
May 23rd, 2014, 08:11 AM
I was bending/ breaking decap pins in my dies, I bent a couple of stems in them as well..,
So purely a matter of economics for me, a lee universal decapper is 12 bux, decap pins for it are 3 bux or so, a stem for the size die was 15 bux, and a pack of decap pins were 5 bux...

Besides when you tear up the stem in the size die, your reload session is over...
If you are putting enough pressure to bend or break decap pins, on the size die can you be certain that the stem and expander is still straight when it goes on the case mouth...this gets rid of that question/ issue.

So I find it easier on the size die to run it without a decap pin, and use the universal decapper as a separate step.

Note this is for 223/556 with crimped primers...I was just trying to come up with a easy consistient approach..
Since it works well I will keep it and add another universal decap die to the turret on 308..

GrantA
May 23rd, 2014, 09:52 AM
Gotcha, I haven't run into that issue yet, not much crimped brass except some I bought that was already deprimed. since you're doing two steps anyway though, it wouldn't add much labor to deprime, then tumble, then do the rest.
I load rifle in batches on the single stage though, different strokes. Maybe one day I'll try a chargemaster, for batches though I just don't think it'd be much if any quicker than my manual powder measure (old Lyman 55)

mapper
May 23rd, 2014, 10:33 AM
For plinking loads with a powder that measures well, probabally no faster..
But my lyman 55 running varget is set a couple tenths low..by the time you throw in scale pan, then trickle each charge to weight, the chargemaster is a lot faster...

But I am running max/near max loads...
If I was in the middle of the charge weight it would not be a issue.

I tumble in walnutz..with primers in,
If I did stainless pins or ultrasonic I would deprime first..
But that is just my prefrence..

And yes the decap pin is removed from my sizing die. On 223/556