PDA

View Full Version : Reloading 5.56

AB
April 20th, 2014, 08:55 AM
I'm starting to think I might want to try reloading 5.56.

I don't shoot a rifle all that much, but between reading you guys post about it, pressure from more than a few folks to start shooting 3-gun, and the C4 group, my interest is rising. What little rifle ammo I need up to now I have been happy to buy, but if I start getting serious about it, I will need more.

So, for the folks who do it, how much of a PITA is it to reload 5.56? I've been reloading handgun rounds for 25 years and used to be a frequent visitor to the Dillon store in Scottsdale, so I'm extremely experienced in the reloading process on the HG side so there's no learning curve on the basics.

Everyone's financial situation is different, but I'm trying to figure out if it is worth the time/hassle to reload it. How does it differ from handgun reloading and how much (if any) does it differ from reloading other rifle ammo? What are the cost savings?

I realize I could quietly research this on my own, but that doesn't add content and I have a legit interest in the topic.

Dale Gribble
April 20th, 2014, 09:06 AM
The biggest PITA in 5.56 is the crimped primers. I just run every case thru a de-swedger just to be sure.

Its really not any harder than handgun loading for me.

Mikec2003
April 20th, 2014, 09:47 AM
Brass prep gets tedious if you're doing a batch of 500 or so, with the trimming, primer crimp removal, chamfering, deburring. But it's not difficult by any stretch of the imagination.

I feel it's immensely worth it. I forgot the exact number, but suffice to say, i'm making match grade ammo with 77grain sierra match kings for way less than half the cost of what you'd find in stores. For general purpose shooting ammo, I can make it cheaper than you can buy it.

Long story short, if you have a press already, there's no reason you shouldn't be reloading 5.56

mapper
April 20th, 2014, 10:23 AM
Like mike said, brass prep is the diffrence.

I deprime in a separate step, size, trim,chamfer,debur,clean neck,crimp remove, clean primer pocket,

Pistol I have no case prep so it goes faster.

With pickup brass match ammo is 42 cents a round or less

I haven't tried plinkkng ammo yet.
Should be cheaper as bullet cost is a lot less.

JMW4570
April 20th, 2014, 01:15 PM
The biggest PITA in 5.56 is the crimped primers. I just run every case thru a de-swedger just to be sure.

Its really not any harder than handgun loading for me.

The Dillon Super Swager really works on this issue.

Dale Gribble
April 20th, 2014, 01:16 PM
The Dillon Super Swager really works on this issue.

I use the RCBS de-swager. It works great, but its a step.

AB
April 20th, 2014, 02:45 PM
I already have a Dillon super swager because I went through a run of .40 brass that had crimped primer pockets. If I can find all the parts to make my RCBS case trimmer work, the only thing I think I will be missing is the dies and any components I'm missing. I already have 2K rifle primers I "found" and a shoe box full of brass which I've been carrying around for a long time now.

What powder is everyone using?

Rumbler
April 20th, 2014, 03:01 PM
The "correct" powder choice is somewhat subject to bullet weight, in my book. I know for sure I don't use the same powder for 55gr bullets I use for 77gr bullets.

. . but you know me; if I can't get 4400+ FPS out of a 16" barrel using 55gr bullets, I monkey with the powder until I do. So it probably is no surprise to you that I change powder for heavier bullets. :naughty:

Mikec2003
April 20th, 2014, 04:33 PM
Ive had good luck with varget, cfe223, h355, and imr 4895. 223 is very forgiving, it seems almost anything works

mapper
April 20th, 2014, 05:06 PM
I have only tried varget and h335 so far, I have some re 10 to try as well..

AB
April 20th, 2014, 06:19 PM
The "correct" powder choice is somewhat subject to bullet weight, in my book. I know for sure I don't use the same powder for 55gr bullets I use for 77gr bullets.

. . but you know me; if I can't get 4400+ FPS out of a 16" barrel using 55gr bullets, I monkey with the powder until I do. So it probably is no surprise to you that I change powder for heavier bullets. :naughty:

One day I'll be out there to shoot some of those. Through your rifle! I would like to see the brass, feel the recoil impulse, ect. Seriously.

JMW4570
April 20th, 2014, 07:18 PM
Ive had good luck with varget, cfe223, h355, and imr 4895. 223 is very forgiving, it seems almost anything works

Those are all good. Try some 3F Blackpowder for some real old school loads!

Just kidding guys... don't put BP in your AR's.

Mikec2003
April 20th, 2014, 07:51 PM
I saw a video of reloads with black powder in an ar, it worked, even cycled, but jammed up quickly since bp is so dirty

Rumbler
April 20th, 2014, 08:54 PM
One day I'll be out there to shoot some of those. Through your rifle! I would like to see the brass, feel the recoil impulse, ect. Seriously.

Cool. Whenever you get the urge. I always keep a magazine or two of them handy. In case of a zombie poodle attack. :yup: