PDA

View Full Version : Berger 75g VLD .224 bullets

Mikec2003
March 23rd, 2014, 12:17 PM
So, I picked up a box of 100 of these for load development, and am finding that I cannot safely make them fit into a magazine. anyone know of a trick, or want to trade them for a 75g bullet that will fit in a magazine? I've got 95 of them left.

Airgator0470
March 23rd, 2014, 01:14 PM
Load single shot... I've done that before with AR's and bolt guns. An empty magazine will catch the BCG after each shot facilitating another loading of a fresh cartridge. With a bolt gun you can buy a single shot follower sled that does the same thing... I believe you can also alter an AR magazine with a single shot sled.

Mikec2003
March 23rd, 2014, 01:25 PM
Suppose I could do that, just wish I knew that before I bought them, kinda sucks to have a magazine I cant use

YankeeFingergasm
March 23rd, 2014, 02:27 PM
Why would these not work for you? Enlighten me, I know nothing about it.

DaveW
March 23rd, 2014, 02:32 PM
http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2009/03/berger-tips-for-loading-vld-bullets/

mapper
March 23rd, 2014, 02:44 PM
Ok, mike..
Can you stabilize a 77 gr? (Sierra says 1:8 twist) some say it will work in a 9 twist, others say no.
If so, I'll swap some sierra match king 77 gr, that can be loaded to mag length.

DaveW
March 23rd, 2014, 02:54 PM
Ok, mike..
Can you stabilize a 77 gr? (Sierra says 1:8 twist) some say it will work in a 9 twist, others say no.
If so, I'll swap some sierra match king 77 gr, that can be loaded to mag length.

I've used the 77 SMK's in a 1:9 16" mid length upper loaded to fit a mag and they shot great out to 250 or so. I never tried them farther out. Trust Sierra when they say that they are not suitable for game. They do not expand, tumble or fragment. They just punch a tiny clean hole.

Mikec2003
March 23rd, 2014, 03:39 PM
Why would these not work for you? Enlighten me, I know nothing about it. The bullets ogive is pretty extreme, so when you seat the bullet properly there is a really long tip that catches on the magazine body. it's a good design for long range shooting, but not so good for fitting in a magazine.

Rumbler
March 23rd, 2014, 06:47 PM
The bullets ogive is pretty extreme, so when you seat the bullet properly there is a really long tip that catches on the magazine body. it's a good design for long range shooting, but not so good for fitting in a magazine.

+1. I have used these in .308. Both 168s in the bolt gun and "hybrid" 230s in my 300 blackout loads. Using even the hybrids had I needed to seat .005 deeper I couldn't have used them - nothing but taper to try and get a crimp on.

On the plus side though . . . you can sure load less powder and still make the target velocity 'cause the dang case is full of bullet!

Mikec2003
March 23rd, 2014, 06:51 PM
well, problem solved, thanks Mapper!

mapper
March 23rd, 2014, 07:00 PM
No worries, I'll load them long and work a load up for a bolt gun.. it would be a good candidate for fired brass with the shoulders bumped back a couple thosandths..
And play with seating depths..
Glad I had enough to swap..