PDA

View Full Version : Tumbler media??

YankeeFingergasm
March 19th, 2014, 09:28 PM
And I don't mean this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwb9-OlQimc

So, what do you use? Walnut? Corncob? Something else? I read somewhere you can buy walnut on the cheap from pet stores. How long do I let it run? Does the brass get dusty?

Mikec2003
March 19th, 2014, 09:33 PM
Walnut, yes, one hour or till it's clean, not really.

Seriously though. I use walnut media, seems to be fine. You can get some media at a pet store, I think it's sold as small rodent bedding, I let mine go for an hour, and then check on it to see if it's done, and I haven't had an issue with dusty cases.

FLT
March 19th, 2014, 09:42 PM
Walnut to clean corncob to polish. It helps to add a little dillon or Lyman brass polish to the media of choice.

Rumbler
March 19th, 2014, 09:45 PM
I prefer corn cob. It does not clean as fast as walnut, but it cleans shinier.

50 pounds for $37 at Grainger. That is a LOT of media.

How long to tumble is a factor of how dirty the cases are so that is nearly impossible to make a blanket statement on other than a pretty pointless one; "until it is clean". Expect it to take a couple of hours at least if you are like me and really enjoy loading cases that look like they are made of gold.

Dust. Yes. Eventually. 'course if you have 50 pounds of it . . . . you can change it when you start getting annoyed by it.

Most of us use some kind of tumbling media additive. Most commonly called "case polish". I get exceptionally cost effective service out of "NewFinish Once a Year Car Polish". It also really helps keep the dust down. Anyway . . . most modern liquid polish/wax that does not contain ammonia will probably do just fine. My point is that you can get a quart for about the same price as a pint of "cartridge case polish" and get it locally to boot.

Mikec2003
March 19th, 2014, 09:52 PM
do you mix the polish in with the media? I've never heard of this.

FLT
March 19th, 2014, 09:54 PM
do you mix the polish in with the media? I've never heard of this.

Yes.

YankeeFingergasm
March 19th, 2014, 09:57 PM
How much polish and how much media? Thanks for all the info so far guys! :worship:

mapper
March 19th, 2014, 10:04 PM
anybody run a used dryer sheet in the tumbler as well..
I haven't tried it, but from what other folks that posted about it said it cuts down the dust

FLT
March 19th, 2014, 10:14 PM
I've heard that to but have never tried it .

Rumbler
March 19th, 2014, 10:14 PM
Tumbler capacity (in pounds or quarts) dictates the amount of media. The goal is to add enough media to get the cases to either not be visible or just occasionally be visible as the tumbler runs (during the time the case sticks up in the air it is not being cleaned).

The amount of polish used changes. Initially it takes a fairly large amount - again dependent on the size of the tumbler. Subsequent batches run through the tumbler take significantly less.

We have two tumblers, a huge Frankford (capacity about 1200-1300 9mm cases) that takes most of a fluid ounce to 'charge' the media initially. But subsequent batches of brass, I seldom add more than perhaps a teaspoon full at most. Also a Lyman 750 tumbler - about 1/2 the capacity. Probably won't surprise you to hear I use about half as much polish in that one.

It is important to note; DO NOT add polish with cases already in the tumbler. Add the polish, run the tumbler until you see NO MORE 'lumps', then add the cases. Otherwise you will find one of those Murphys laws; polish wet media lodges inside the cases and gets really really sticky and difficult to clean out.

DaveW
March 19th, 2014, 11:30 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5y_dsP3dsM

Johnny
March 20th, 2014, 11:52 AM
I use a lyman sonic cleaner,works very well dry the cases throw them into tumbler with corn cob only for about 20 minutes cases look like brand new brass.

AB
March 20th, 2014, 03:57 PM
I took the plunge and bought a stainless steel media cleaner. Time consuming but it cleans awesomely. It will polish the annealing marks off the neck of 5.56 brass. If brass isn't that dirty, I use a Dillon case cleaner with corn cob media with polish thrown into the mix. I use about two capfuls of their polish.

AB
April 10th, 2014, 07:30 AM
I found the before and after pics on the effectiveness of stainless steel cleaning. It's fairly profound, and I don't think there is any other way to get these results otherwise.

Edit: I took these photos myself from brass I picked up/dug out of the ground myself. I ran them through a Thumber's Tumbler for a few hours. I just didn't want anyone to think this was a stock photo!

YankeeFingergasm
April 10th, 2014, 07:52 AM
Holy hell

Oath Keepers
April 11th, 2014, 04:47 PM
I use the tried and true Thumler's Tumbler with stainless media and the Dillon media separator (almost the same price as the other separators, but much more heavy duty).

Another bit of awesomeness (with awesome customer service) is theHarvey hand held depriming tool:

http://www.harveydeprimer.com

Frady
April 11th, 2014, 06:35 PM
AB- I remember you had an issue with brass becoming brittle, but I can't remember if you determined it was the SS media or just old ass brass from the ground?

Any issues with SS media and brass?

Also, some of you might be interested in a new SS media kit from Frankfurt Arsenal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9rIyue6RC4#t=109

AB
April 11th, 2014, 06:59 PM
No brittleness normally. That particular batch had been in the ground a long time and it compromised some of the brass. That experiment was a long time ago (posted originally on TGF), and I lost about 10% at the reloading bench when they split upon being resized. About 25% split on first firing, and I still have some of them kicking around. About 25% have lasted at least 8 or so loadings.

AB
April 20th, 2014, 09:15 AM
If I had it to do over, I'd probably go with the Frakfurt Arsenal version. It looks like you can put more brass in at a time and more=better. Hell, I might just buy it anyway! I will certainly be buying the magnet, even if I don't get the whole kit.

MrWesson
June 7th, 2014, 10:30 AM
Ive used it all over the years.

dry rice works really well.

You can add a bit of metal polish to take it even further.

Rumbler
June 7th, 2014, 06:00 PM
white rice or brown rice? maybe yellow rice...?

Inquiring rice heads want to know! :p

MrWesson
June 8th, 2014, 10:20 AM
white rice or brown rice? maybe yellow rice...?

Inquiring rice heads want to know! :p

I use plain white.. don't think it would make a difference.

Don't cook it unless you want a mess.

Fishtale
June 8th, 2014, 10:48 AM
Do you normally tumble with the primer in or removed. If removed does the rice stick in the primer pocket hole?

MrWesson
June 11th, 2014, 10:26 AM
Do you normally tumble with the primer in or removed. If removed does the rice stick in the primer pocket hole?

I'm lazy.

I tumble brass before reloading and do not deprime handgun brass so I couldn't say. I haven't done much rifle reloading since I discovered the rice media.

I will say I tumble live .223 rounds because its so hard to get out. 1000's of rounds done this way without incident.