PDA

View Full Version : Chat Tab

jonastio
March 1st, 2014, 01:59 PM
I can't tell you how many damn hours I've put into this, but it's stinking ridiculous. I'm finally starting to figure out the vBulletin API. See that number on the chat tab? Yeah, that's supposed to be how many people are in the chat room at that time. I'm also now working on getting the list of users in the chat room at the bottom.

It's not perfect yet, since the last user doesn't time-out of the chat application correctly, so I'm going to have to figure out how to update it when nobody is in there, but if you see a 2 or more there, than chances are good folks are chit-chatting. I know that's one of the reasons that the chat isn't used as much as it was because that's a bit of load time just to see if someone was actually in there.

When I finally clued in and the stupid thing worked, I don't think I can properly explain the relief and elation that I don't completely suck at computers. Seriously, I've spent HOURS trying to figure this crap out. And it was like a steering wheel in my pants. It drove me nuts.

polebarn
March 1st, 2014, 02:02 PM
I went on there a minute ago and saw you talking to yourself and so I left.Figured you were having a grand old time.

YankeeFingergasm
March 1st, 2014, 02:16 PM
Nice work Jonas. Thank you.

jonastio
March 1st, 2014, 02:19 PM
HOPEFULLY I'll figure out how to update things to show if the amount of folks in chat drops to 0.

Johnny
March 1st, 2014, 03:20 PM
Damn good job Jonas,i have quit trying to use it because of all of the crap trying ot get in

jonastio
March 1st, 2014, 03:55 PM
I've ALMOST got the site to update when Chat is empty.

Bodo
March 1st, 2014, 03:59 PM
IMO, it's not used as much because it's not part of the forum anymore. You have to physically click and wait to enter. While the old site had it at the top and was always open.

jonastio
March 1st, 2014, 04:18 PM
Yeah, and there were some issues with it. Page load times were impacted and there were more than a few complaints about it detracting from the main forum page. It's kinda hit the back burner for me for a bit, but I got a wild hair and decided to tackle it this weekend.

Like now, after the last user in chat times out, it will finally update the count and user list as I've got it as a lightweight part of every page load now.