PDA

View Full Version : Glock kAbooM

Rumbler
February 9th, 2014, 08:45 PM
For all of you that think that I don't realize there are limits on powder/velocity/and shit.

One of the shooters at the range yesterday had a Glock 9mm "KaBoom!!" on them after I left for the pot luck. Broke that sucker in several pieces. I didn't ask if it was a 17 or a 19 - it doesn't matter to me.

As luck would have it, they were chronographing ammunition when the gun blew up.

115gr FMJ, at 1520 FPS.

Once fired Speer brass, CCI primer.

Aside from some discoloration of their hand - they WERE wearing a shooting glove - the shooter is fine. The Glock is broken all to hell.

I have to admit; that was probably too much powder.:eek:

Airgator0470
February 9th, 2014, 08:53 PM
What was the specific load?

AB
February 9th, 2014, 09:16 PM
Yeah, a lot if folks think it can't happen. Over loading ammo can be darn dangerous!

Airgator0470
February 9th, 2014, 10:14 PM
Like the saying goes, It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye... or in this case, a Glock.

0utlaw
February 9th, 2014, 10:22 PM
You mean you don't just fill the case up to the top:shrug:

Rumbler
February 9th, 2014, 11:08 PM
Bob, I didn't even ask.

0317, scooping the case full is not nearly as big a deal as picking the right powder to scoop from.:cool:

I was loading 125 grain bullets for a 300 win mag a few days ago and I had to seat the bullets quickly. Or they would pop up out of the neck and fall off the case. It was a compressed load. But it chronographed within about 20 FPS of what I was expecting, and showed no abnormal signs of pressure.

BR549
February 10th, 2014, 10:09 AM
I'd like to see pictures. That sounds rough.

BlueBronco
February 10th, 2014, 11:17 AM
Rumbler, have you figured how much it will take to blow up the G20?

Rumbler
February 10th, 2014, 03:02 PM
Rumbler, have you figured how much it will take to blow up the G20?

Not yet. :cool:

I'm pushing hollowpoint 180 grain bullets at 1470FPS and getting four or five reloads on the cases. Maybe more, but by 4 or 5 they tend to start getting mixed up with other stuff. I absolutely DO inspect cases carefully during the brass prep and throw away somewhere around 1%.

I have fairly strict criteria: "If in doubt, throw it out."