PDA

View Full Version : 3 - Gun Subclass.

Dale Gribble
January 10th, 2014, 10:05 AM
I wonder if anyone would be interested in running a subclass of 3 - gun.

The idea is to use the home defense/self defense stuff you already train with. Lots of folks CCW guns that only hold 10 rounds. Most folks have a home defense shotgun that holds less than 9 round and is pump action.

So the rules would be simple.

No more than 10 rounds in mags. For those of us with big mags it gives us more chances to swap mags and practice that skill.

No more than 5 rounds in the shot gun mag tube to start, pump action only.

Rifle limited to 1x scope/ magnified red dot/irons.

I'm not asking Talon to do anything, if you want to participate you self declare, and I will compile the results from Talons official results.

Talon is going to try and hold a 3 gun every quarter, so we have 3 left in 2014.

Who's in?

JMW4570
January 10th, 2014, 10:26 AM
With exception to the shotgun capacity you are pretty close to the Heavy Metal division.

Dale Gribble
January 10th, 2014, 10:46 AM
Many of us don't have 7.62x51 guns setup for home defense, nor the cubic dollars to throw that expensive lead and brass away.

Rumbler
January 10th, 2014, 04:27 PM
Many of us don't have 7.62x51 guns setup for home defense, nor the cubic dollars to throw that expensive lead and brass away.

1) Whythehell not? You planning to only be accosted in your AO by poodles? :p
2) Who says you can't pick up your brass at Talon. Point me at them.:mad:
3) My 7.62x51 costs about 50-60 cents a round. For top quality stuff - better than any that can be bought off a shelf. You my friend, are spending money you don't need to. So much for being a cheapskate. :poke:

Dale Gribble
January 10th, 2014, 09:17 PM
You can't pick up your brass at 3 gun.

My 223 costs less than half your 308.

Rumbler
January 10th, 2014, 09:26 PM

I think maybe that you mean; if you want to you have to wait until the match is over or there is some delay in the stage. At least as far as Talon goes. The right to pick up your own brass is something that every member, guest and visitor of a guest at Talon not only sees enunciated by Charlie Strickland but is actually tested in writing to make sure they understand they have that right.

If someone told you differently, I need to follow up with them and make sure they are clear on what the rules actually are.

OH! And if you would like to see the actual videos and the test I refer to scroll down on this page until you find the appropriate links.

http://www.talontraininggroup.com/Talon-Range

Yeah. And like most things; you get what you pay for. :cool:

Dale Gribble
January 10th, 2014, 10:28 PM
I think maybe that you mean; if you want to you have to wait until the match is over or there is some delay in the stage. At least as far as Talon goes. The right to pick up your own brass is something that every member, guest and visitor of a guest at Talon not only sees enunciated by Charlie Strickland but is actually tested in writing to make sure they understand they have that right.

Since I am a member I know the rules. However I can only pickup MY brass. I'm not exactly sure if I did go back after the event was over how I could even tell which brass was mine, or for that matter how much I shot in 9 and 5.56 on any stage.

And I know, 5.56 is a useless round. Can't even kill people with it. I only use it because I can't afford a decent tazer.

Rumbler
January 10th, 2014, 11:32 PM
We have awesome tazers in the pro shop. They are about 10X as nasty as what the poor 'ol LEOs are stuck with (no pun intended).

Here is how the rangemaster at Talon deals with the brass thing; if you honestly believe you shot 200 rounds of 5.56 pickup 500 rounds of 5.56 brass. If you honestly believe you shot 300 rounds of 9mm pick up 300 rounds of 9mm brass. If you need help, say so, if it is humanly possible to do it we will. Gladly.

If you shot 10,000 rounds of steel case and you pick up ONE brass case, we gonna have a problem.:p

Evil_McNasty
January 13th, 2014, 10:08 AM
Back on to the original question. I would probably be interested in this kind of 3-gun match. Sounds kinda fun.

AB
January 13th, 2014, 01:08 PM
I would change it to 4 rounds in the shotgun mag. That's what a stock 870 holds.

Dale Gribble
January 13th, 2014, 01:10 PM
Really, even with 2.75" shells?

Darn I am glad I have a Mossberg.

Agreed.

AB
January 13th, 2014, 01:11 PM
That being said, I would be willing to shoot this subdivision at least once. I make no promises after that, because I might get bitten by the three-gun bug.

Tack Driver
January 13th, 2014, 01:58 PM
Really, even with 2.75" shells?

Darn I am glad I have a Mossberg.

Agreed.

Non-HD/Tactical Remingtons AND Mossbergs hold 4 rounds. Yours has an extended tube just like most 6 shot 870s do.

That being said, I would be willing to shoot this subdivision at least once. I make no promises after that, because I might get bitten by the three-gun bug.

NSA just put you on a list for that. You can't just willy nilly say you want to shoot up subdivisions.

Dale Gribble
January 13th, 2014, 02:12 PM
Mossberg 500's hold 5- 2.75" or 7-2.75" shells with the magazine limiter removed. No magazine extension exists.

Tack Driver
January 13th, 2014, 02:22 PM
Mossberg 500's hold 5- 2.75" or 7-2.75" shells with the magazine limiter removed. No magazine extension exists.

4+1, yeah.

Dale Gribble
January 13th, 2014, 02:28 PM
4+1, yeah.

No. 5+1.

Tack Driver
January 13th, 2014, 02:33 PM
No. 5+1.

Fruck. I see that now.

Rumbler
January 13th, 2014, 11:10 PM

Single action Army, lever gun, double barrel stagecoach gun.

You can thank me later . . . . . or not. :omfg:

AB
January 15th, 2014, 10:01 AM
I DO have a new SAA in a caliber that matches a lever action I have...

JL, I am going to have to defer to others on the 3-gun stuff. I'm realizing the rules aren't the same.

JMW4570
January 15th, 2014, 10:05 AM
Single action Army, lever gun, double barrel stagecoach gun.

You can thank me later . . . . . or not. :omfg:

The Original Three gun match is sponsored by the Single Action Shooting Society (SASS). There is a local group that shoots at TRPC and I believe their next match is this Saturday.

Cowboy Action (SASS) / 3rd Saturday 9:00am TRPC Range E & F
Acting Match Chairmen: Carl Davis
Email: sass@trpc.netTelephone: (850) 491-2097

Rumbler
January 15th, 2014, 10:07 AM
I'm pretty ignorant on competition shooting. Can someone enlighten me to how this works?

Near as I can tell; you surrender, until this annoying buzzer sounds, then you change your mind, then run, shoot using horrible tactics, run some more, reload standing in the wide open, run some more, disarm yourself while standing in the wide open, change guns, shoot some more standing well framed in a door or window, reload while standing in the wide open, then repeat. Oh, and if it is a well constructed course, you will probably get to shoot from a portal on a barricade where you stick your gun through it before engaging.

Great fun. It is like an ultra compressed class on how to get killed in a gunfight. :p

Dale Gribble
January 15th, 2014, 11:10 AM
Jeeze. But their are some good points.

Like most gun games there is good and bad.

It gets people out using 3 guns that most of us have for our defense, make you use them under some stress (time, competition). Like most gun games, the top guys have a technique that won't work well for anything but the game (lets talk about benchrest shooting), but nothing says you can't use better tactics if that is what you want.

AB
January 15th, 2014, 11:59 AM
Rumbler's just trying to fire me up. Competition teaches shooting skills, not tactics. I would forward the premise it is impossible to replicate the level of stress of a match when practicing shooting skills alone. I've seen some folks who shoot, move, and reload as smooth as silk when on the range with a few friends absolutely lose their minds when the buzzer goes off at a match.

That experience of tunnel vision, forgetting the plan, and stuff going wrong is extremely valuable, I think, in the tactical realm as well. Everyone who EDC's a firearm should allow themselves to feel that at least once.

Of course, there is no rule that says you have to do all the things Rumbler says about the match. You can shoot it as slowly and methodically as you like, taking advantage of available cover, reloading while stationary, slicing pies, keeping muzzles out of windows (but there are times, both at the matches and in real life, you do have to get in the window to get to your target), and so forth. You probably won't do as well in the match as someone who is only paying homage to the clock with all the appropriate race gear, but if that isn't important I think it is a great opportunity to test yourself and your gear on a course you didn't design, on the clock, with a bunch of strangers watching.

So, it appears Rumbler did, in fact, provoke me to post longer than I intended when I should be doing other stuff!

Rumbler
January 15th, 2014, 03:12 PM
Yup. The old man snookered you. :cool:

I'd like to try an experiment sometime.

See how many "30 seconds or less" courses of fire I can engage taking 8+ minutes before other shooters start fussing . . . . 'betch not very dang many.

Dale Gribble
January 15th, 2014, 03:21 PM
I'd like to try an experiment sometime.

See how many "30 seconds or less" courses of fire I can engage taking 8+ minutes before other shooters start fussing . . . . 'betch not very dang many.

I have a better idea.

After the next Talon 3 gun, you and I and any others interested run a Stage or 2 with Rumbler's rules. We will clean those stages up. And who knows, maybe a new sport will be invented.

Rumbler
January 15th, 2014, 03:26 PM
NJC is already doing that. See: "C-4".

I have a better idea.

After the next Talon 3 gun, you and I and any others interested run a Stage or 2 with Rumbler's rules. We will clean those stages up. And who knows, maybe a new sport will be invented.

Dale Gribble
January 16th, 2014, 04:15 PM
NJC is already doing that. See: "C-4".

Yea, but I don't own any carbines.

Well I do own one, but it says Red Ryder on the buttstock.

Tack Driver
January 16th, 2014, 04:29 PM
Yea, but I don't own any carbines.

Well I do own one, but it says Red Ryder on the buttstock.

Don't split hairs. You have a rifle.

Dale Gribble
January 16th, 2014, 04:38 PM
Don't split hairs. You have a rifle.

And a gun.

FLT
January 16th, 2014, 04:54 PM
And a gun.

But not a long gun ? :hahaha::hahaha::banana:

Dale Gribble
January 16th, 2014, 05:05 PM
But not a long gun ? :hahaha::hahaha::banana:

Lets just say its more like a short barrel 8ga shot gun.

BlueBronco
January 19th, 2014, 06:54 PM

7.62x39 is another option. AK's, Ruger Ranch Rifles, even AR's are chambered in it.

BlueBronco
January 19th, 2014, 06:57 PM
4+1, yeah.

Mossberg does have 7 round magazines for the Persuaders etc. They don't use an extension to achieve that.

Dale Gribble
January 19th, 2014, 07:55 PM
The mossberg 500s come in 5 and 7 length magazines. Barrels must match tube, and I think the only 7 round barrel is the persuader barrel.

Rumbler
January 20th, 2014, 09:39 AM
The mossberg 500s come in 5 and 7 length magazines. Barrels must match tube, and I think the only 7 round barrel is the persuader barrel.

Why?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ql14XB5X47g

Tack Driver
January 20th, 2014, 10:01 AM
Why?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ql14XB5X47g

500 barrels have the lug to retain the end of the magazine tube permanently fixed. The tube length has to match the length to which this lug was welded to the barrel.

razzman1
January 21st, 2014, 10:26 PM
If you guys seriously want another division, I'd be happy to add it into the next 3-gun match. The scoring for 3-gun is easy, and adding another division and breaking out the info when I send out scores is a piece of cake.

Dale Gribble
January 21st, 2014, 10:33 PM
If you guys seriously want another division, I'd be happy to add it into the next 3-gun match. The scoring for 3-gun is easy, and adding another division and breaking out the info when I send out scores is a piece of cake.

Thanks. Doesn't sound like their is interest on this board, however I'd be interested in it if others are. I enjoy the sport and I have decided I'm not going to switch over to a Semi-Auto Shotty because they just don't fit my home defense usage, so I want to continue to practice with the guns that I am going to 'go to' if things get hinkey.

AB
January 21st, 2014, 10:36 PM
I already said I'd shoot it with you. Come on, that has to be worth something!

Dale Gribble
January 22nd, 2014, 07:21 AM
I wasn't discounting you AB, just saying it didn't sound like Much interest.

Rumbler
January 22nd, 2014, 09:39 AM
Got two words for you Dale: "Heavy Metal".

The manly men . . . and some of the women, shoot heavy metal. May be worth looking in to.:cool:

Dale Gribble
January 22nd, 2014, 10:07 AM
The manly men . . . and some of the women, shoot heavy metal. May be worth looking in to.:cool:

Point missed. But if you comb your hair just right.

Rumbler
January 22nd, 2014, 08:42 PM
"Heavy metal" class.

Look down there around page 64 and 65. :)

http://uspsa.org/RifleShotgunMultigun%20Rules%201-1-2013final.pdf

Dale Gribble
January 23rd, 2014, 07:26 AM
You still miss the point. I don't have a .308 rifle or a .45 in my home defense plan, so heavy metal isn't a good fit.

Rumbler
January 23rd, 2014, 09:54 AM
You need a new plan. :p

Dale Gribble
January 23rd, 2014, 10:03 AM
Yea whatever.

JMW4570
January 23rd, 2014, 04:35 PM

Maybe Razz can set up a BWYG division (Bring What You Got) and leave it as that. That's should solve the situation.

Dale Gribble
January 23rd, 2014, 05:07 PM
Maybe Razz can set up a BWYG division (Bring What You Got) and leave it as that. That's should solve the situation.

They have a LEO class where they can only use their duty equipment. I was kinda picturing this as a civil version of the same with some limitations to limit equipment advantages a bit.

In gun games like this, going fast means limiting mag changes. Forcing 10rd (or 7rd or 3rd) mags causes more mag changes, and perhaps a bit more learning. I can use what I have in the classes that exist.

chenzzo
January 23rd, 2014, 05:32 PM
sounds like a great idea. Everybody run the same match but with the gear they actually plan to use if/when something bad happens. You'd learn real quick if it worked or not, and you might find somebody else running something you like a whole lot better.

thedishdoc
January 24th, 2014, 10:05 AM
I've gotta get out and watch these matches sometime. It sounds like fun to me.

Tack Driver
January 24th, 2014, 10:11 AM
If we're talking a 3 gun with our home defense load outs, I'm not interested.

Me running around at Talon in my skivvies is not going to work out well for anybody.

crawdaddy34
January 24th, 2014, 10:14 AM

Me running around at Talon in my skivvies is not going to work out well for anybody.

:scared:

:puke:

chenzzo
January 24th, 2014, 10:21 AM

Dude, we could film that and then, Boom. Internet SENSATION!

Tack Driver
January 24th, 2014, 10:28 AM
Seriously. If I get a bump in the night, the battle belt goes on and I grab the shotty. I cover the door and put on my boots. There are no clothes in that equation.

Dale Gribble
January 24th, 2014, 10:29 AM
Seriously. If I get a bump in the night, the battle belt goes on and I grab the shotty. I cover the door and put on my boots. There are no clothes in that equation.

TMI.

Tack Driver
January 24th, 2014, 10:33 AM
TMI.

It da troof.

JMW4570
January 24th, 2014, 10:37 AM
Dude, we could film that and then, Boom. Internet SENSATION!

Well if we could hack into Tack's new video system it might be worth throwing a couple M-80's and some smoke in his yard and then video stream the outcome. :)

Dale Gribble
January 24th, 2014, 10:49 AM
Well if we could hack into Tack's new video system it might be worth throwing a couple M-80's and some smoke in his yard and then video stream the outcome. :)

Must have eye wash.

seadog
January 25th, 2014, 08:42 PM
Tack is absolutely right (except for the boot part). Glass breaks and it's free Willie to the threat. Fuck putting anything on(until the the threat is gone )

Tack Driver
January 25th, 2014, 09:27 PM
Tack is absolutely right (except for the boot part). Glass breaks and it's free Willie to the threat. Fuck putting anything on(until the the threat is gone )

I feel like I know the guy in that avatar. Hmmmm.

seadog
January 25th, 2014, 10:02 PM
You probably do.

Tack Driver
January 25th, 2014, 10:04 PM
You probably do.

Is that you or who I think it is, or are the two one in the same?

chenzzo
January 25th, 2014, 10:12 PM
Is that a Sig hat he's wearing?

seadog
January 25th, 2014, 10:16 PM
We are one in the same.

Tack Driver
January 25th, 2014, 10:17 PM
Son-of-a-bitch!

How you been brother? I've been askin' about you.

seadog
January 25th, 2014, 10:30 PM
I've been preoccupied, that's for sure.

Tack Driver
January 25th, 2014, 10:35 PM
I've been preoccupied, that's for sure.

We've gotta' get together.

http://forum.capitalcitygunforum.com/showthread.php?3516-Cattle-Horse-Potluck-Roll-Call

Maybe?

seadog
January 25th, 2014, 10:42 PM
I haven't been invited.

Tack Driver
January 25th, 2014, 10:44 PM
I haven't been invited.

You're a CCGF member. You're invited.

jonastio
January 25th, 2014, 11:54 PM
Tack speaks the truth.

Rumbler
January 26th, 2014, 07:19 AM
Maaaan. I haven't seen you since dirt was new!

You are most definitely invited.

seadog
January 26th, 2014, 10:21 AM
Yeah it's been a while, you still doing the FSU coaching?

Rumbler
January 26th, 2014, 10:57 AM
Yeah it's been a while, you still doing the FSU coaching?

NoSir. When I "retired" from FSU I disqualified myself for that position.

. . .gotta be an employee to be the "advisor" of record.

They are still Talon sponsored, still reloading, and a Talon instructor just stepped up to do a SPECTR program for them. But officially, the capacity I work with them in; a Talon guy.

seadog
January 26th, 2014, 11:14 AM
Sounds like there in good hands. I've been into the .338 lapua thing for a while now. I am building a .416 Barrett.

seadog
January 26th, 2014, 12:01 PM
The potluck sounds good if only I had a clue as to where. If someone would pm me and give directions, the wife and i would show.