PDA

View Full Version : new bench

mapper
December 10th, 2013, 09:14 PM
I have been looking at a lot of benches lately, and wanted one that had a lot of flexibility
while the design is not original, I think I'm going to be satisfied with it..
it gives a place to store presses on top of the cabinet, pegboard and shelves, drawers,
and 3 9"x9" sliding insets

the table is one that was on a black friday sale, it had a butcherblock 3/4" top on it , and I used it as a starting point..
the working top is plywood.
sorry for the pic size..
insets are cut on a 30 degree bevel on 3 sides, dimensions are 5' long, 20" wide, 7"x24"x4' cabinet, and was made from 1 sheet of 3/4" plywood, and a peice of pegboard..
http://i1025.photobucket.com/albums/y315/mapper5/DSCF0589.jpg

..http://i1025.photobucket.com/albums/y315/mapper5/DSCF0591.jpg

Tack Driver
December 10th, 2013, 09:17 PM
VERY clever design.

YankeeFingergasm
December 10th, 2013, 09:23 PM
I'm curious as to the benefit of the bench top being cut into smaller pieces as opposed to 1 piece?

Tack Driver
December 10th, 2013, 09:27 PM
I'm curious as to the benefit of the bench top being cut into smaller pieces as opposed to 1 piece?

Each press is mounted on a peice of plywood with the matching beveled edge. You slide out one of those blank peices, and slide in the press you want. Quick and easy.

YankeeFingergasm
December 10th, 2013, 09:29 PM
Ahhhhhh....genius

Tack Driver
December 10th, 2013, 09:31 PM
Ahhhhhh....genius

I know, but we're here to talk about the bench.

mapper
December 10th, 2013, 09:31 PM
what tack said..
all I had to work with was a table saw..
so from a ease of building standpoint it was peiced together..

Airgator0470
December 10th, 2013, 09:51 PM
Looks nice... just hope you don't ever have to size .308 MG brass...:cool: Over the years, I've torn my Rockchucker off the table top more than once sizing MG brass and brass fired out of M14's... lol.

mapper
December 10th, 2013, 10:01 PM
Thanks for the heads up bob,
I may drill through the table top 2 holes in the lyman turret, and bolt it..
it would be simple enough with 2 5/16" t nuts installed in the bottom of the table on opposite corners,

I haven't loaded on it yet...the lyman sits further back from the edge of the table top it is a heavier press
and a better candidate for a little more persuasion..

Rumbler
December 10th, 2013, 10:06 PM
Looks nice... just hope you don't ever have to size .308 MG brass...:cool: Over the years, I've torn my Rockchucker off the table top more than once sizing MG brass and brass fired out of M14's... lol.

Nice bench. HUGE +1 for creativity.

But I'm with Bob. In fairness, I DO process a lot of NATO military rifle brass.

0utlaw
December 10th, 2013, 10:11 PM

Mapper is a little tiny fellow I doubt he'd break that thing;) You need to beef up with some burritos bro

thedishdoc
December 11th, 2013, 10:34 AM
Very nice work!

BR549
December 13th, 2013, 01:48 PM
Thats beautiful.

mapper
December 13th, 2013, 03:31 PM
thanks for the comments and suggestions,
on the slot furthest to the right, I took bob's suggestion, and
drilled through both layers to put 2 3/8" bolts sandwiching the
heavier turret to the top.. it slides in and out easy, and 2 bolts go through it,
the bottom of the bolts are t nuts and are attached to the underside of the table..

still flexible, and easy to slide in and out of, and have a clean table top.
I think it will provide enough support with 2 3/8" lag bolts through the top plywood, and 2 3/8"
through bolts through the entire top, in that station that is over a support leg to let me work
on 308 brass.. if not, I'll add 2 more through bolts..

time will tell..

I was measuring chambers last night, and it was nice to have a bench that gave me workspace for it.
I still need to move it to its final location, and work on lighting..
but its a lot better than the small desk it replaced.

AB
December 14th, 2013, 08:52 PM
I'm looking at rebuilding mine, and I really like some of the features you have. I will steal them.