PDA

View Full Version : Range report: Public Assisted Suicide Facility, 6/14

haireola
June 15th, 2012, 03:09 PM
So, despite my earlier vow to never return to the Springhill range, I went there yesterday, along with Jonas, dcs02d, and a new coworker (we'll call him Nick, because that's his name).

As usual, all the target stands were shot to shit, along with everything else. No matter, we still managed to get some targets to stick, despite the rain.

Then dcs02d breaks out his brand new Kel-Tec PMR-30. For those who don't know, the PMR-30 is Kel-Tec's newest pistol. It's chambered in .22WMR and comes with two 30 round magazines. It's also a tack driver. Despite my sub-par marksmanship, I was able to reliably hit my mark shot after shot. I was afraid, however, that the flames coming out of the end of the gun were going to set the target stand on fire. While it might lack the stopping power of a larger-diameter round, I have no doubt that, at an average muzzle velocity of around 1350 FPS, a 40 grain slug would spin like an coked-up ice skater and turn a bad guy's insides into a pulpy mess. In addition to its high capacity and velocity, it has nearly zero recoil, so followup shots require little adjustment. I did experience a few failures to feed, but this is a known problem with JHPs in the PMR-30 -- it's recommended that you use FMJs or ballistic-tipped ammunition.

I'm also happy to report that my aim with my carry weapon, a Glock 17, has improved remarkably. Practice makes better.

jonastio
June 15th, 2012, 04:08 PM
It was funny when dcs02d was making a comment about my .45, "I bet in the same amount of time I could put more rounds in a target than you could."
I responded, "You'd need to!"

Rumbler
June 15th, 2012, 04:54 PM
FYI, Hornady is now making ammunition specifically for the .22 WMR pistol.

It cures the vast majority of the muzzle flash issue and pushed that bullet at an advertised 1216fps.

I'm not saying "1350 FPS" is wrong, but I do think it a safe bet whoever measured that had small feet. ;) ;D ??? :P