PDA

View Full Version : Is there a timeline for 400 yard opening at Talon?

TargetShooting
October 21st, 2013, 05:00 PM
Can't wait.

I can donate one day of labor per week. Let me know if you need me.

Rumbler
October 21st, 2013, 06:20 PM
Heavy equipment was moved in last week that will be used for, in addition to other things, building a (raised?) road that does not get swallowed by swamp facilitating access - the range already exists.

-However-

It should be noted by all that this will NOT be a 'free for all' range. You skill set at longer range precision rifle will be established and demonstrated prior to being granted access OR you will be accompanied by a Talon approved instructor (at your expense) on a one-on-one basis.

This is not gospel handed down by the owners of Talon Range, LLC.

This is the gospel handed down by the Rangemaster charged with the day to day safe operation of the range as well as assuring the safety of the people on, and downrange of, the facility. In other words: Me.

Rumbler
October 21st, 2013, 08:32 PM
I have a suggestion for this. You remember the Trailer for Wakulla 300 yard?
Get some 2 ft culverts, maybe 10 ft. Set one up at bench height the other for prone / sitting with dirt piled up so you shoot through the pipe with berm around it. just have to build a wall or something to keep the dirt from falling back. I saw a range like this. Had a very small safety danger area diagram. Was for a National Guard unit for Qualifications. Worked beautifully, and cheaper than building a berm with size enough for the requirements. I am Planning something like that for the grand kids at my range at home.

Were this bore size limited that sounds like it could be workable. But imagine a .50BMG, .338, or .408 being fired in that tube. Especially with a muzzle brake on it. The pressure wave inside the tube could pop eyeballs out. :eek:

YankeeFingergasm
October 21st, 2013, 09:04 PM
Molary I like your way of thinking. Make sure they're zeroed correctly etc. I know when we used the LR at Otter Creek we had to show targets before allowed to the 300 yard trailer.

Rumbler
October 21st, 2013, 10:51 PM
Arc, we had thick wooden railroad cross ties on the ground of the 100/200 yard range. Had a high wall built too up near the head of the range to keep people from even being able to see over the top of the 200 yard berm - much less aim a shot. And some person still managed to shoot so short SEVERAL TIMES they were bouncing bullets into and over the top of the berm at 200.

"Just when you think that you have made something idiot proof, along comes a bigger idiot."

TargetShooting
October 22nd, 2013, 05:15 AM
Arc, we had thick wooden railroad cross ties on the ground of the 100/200 yard range. Had a high wall built too up near the head of the range to keep people from even being able to see over the top of the 200 yard berm - much less aim a shot. And some person still managed to shoot so short SEVERAL TIMES they were bouncing bullets into and over the top of the berm at 200.

"Just when you think that you have made something idiot proof, along comes a bigger idiot."

What? :mad: Give me a month, just a month!!!

TargetShooting
October 22nd, 2013, 05:18 AM
After 6 month I might getting calls from Agencies to help out...let's see

Tack Driver
October 22nd, 2013, 07:51 AM
After 6 month I might getting calls from Agencies to help out...let's see

http://www.houseofnintendo.com/wp-content/uploads/picard-headesk.jpg

FLT
October 22nd, 2013, 07:53 AM
People who design things that are fool proof fail to take into mind the Ingenuity of fools .

0utlaw
October 22nd, 2013, 10:43 AM
Nothing is foolproof, fools are to creative.

Evil_McNasty
October 31st, 2013, 03:38 PM
I used to go to the Idian River Gun Range in Central FL and they had a culvert pipe set up like that. Out at the 100 yard berm there were 2 culvert pipes at the last 2 shooting lanes. The long range shooters would prove to the daily range master that they could stay on target at 100yds, then they were allowed to shoot the longer range. There was a small berm at 100yds that divided the last 2 lanes such that even the guy in the 3rd-to-last lane couldn't angle a round down into either of the pipes. Finally, there was a wall that went along the outside that allowed the long range guys to go address their targets without stopping other shooters. A nice set up. But yes, the big issue would be that the longer the range, the larger the pipe has to be.