PDA

View Full Version : just bought a Cheytec 308, excited but need help.

TargetShooting
October 14th, 2013, 09:42 PM
Last week bought a Cheytec 308 Safeside tactical at a local gun store. Put down 2k deposit, still waiting for gun and scope - said to be a three weeks wait even it's in stock at manufacture, that's a long, long wait, I will call Cheytec myself tomorrow to ask them to ship ASAP.This is my first rifle. I want to get into competition shooting after basic training on the gun.

Can experienced mid-long range rifle shooters give some advises on competing in this sport? Please consider that I am new to rifle shooting as of now, but I learn quickly and I have time to practice everyday at Talon.

Thanks in advance.

DaveTheTank, Tallahassee

JMW4570
October 15th, 2013, 08:29 AM
I'd suggest getting some training in precision rifle training from one of the trainers on this forum. If its your first rifle, I'd strongly recommend it. Jim

TargetShooting
October 15th, 2013, 07:21 PM
I'd suggest getting some training in precision rifle training from one of the trainers on this forum. If its your first rifle, I'd strongly recommend it. Jim

Thanks!

TargetShooting
October 15th, 2013, 11:01 PM
What kinda optic are you gonna out on it?

Haven't seen it, it's a Nikon. The local store is setting up everything for me including bipod and trainer.

Rumbler
October 16th, 2013, 07:21 AM
I am curious. What kind of rifle can you use as a trainer for this?

I have a Savage heavy barrel MKII in 22LR set up very nearly identical to my Remmy 700p in .308. It is great for the job with the correct ammo. But what the heck else mimics this new rifle of yours closely?

BlueBronco
October 16th, 2013, 11:15 AM
I am curious. What kind of rifle can you use as a trainer for this?

I have a Savage heavy barrel MKII in 22LR set up very nearly identical to my Remmy 700p in .308. It is great for the job with the correct ammo. But what the heck else mimics this new rifle of yours closely?

Something from Anshutz?

http://jga.anschuetz-sport.com/bild.php5?id=17962&maxwidth=660

http://cdn2.armslist.com/sites/armslist/uploads/posts/2013/08/28/2052076_01_anschutz_competition_target_ri_640.jpg

Arclight
October 16th, 2013, 08:01 PM
TS - What is the ballpark price for this rifle?

TargetShooting
October 16th, 2013, 10:18 PM
TS - What is the ballpark price for this rifle?

$6500+- w/o scope and bipod

BR549
October 17th, 2013, 08:14 AM
If I gather from your other thread that this is your first rifle, isn't that sort of like getting a 16 yr old new driver a Ferarri?

I might have suggested something like a Remington Model 700 Tactical out of the chute. But hey, I dont know that I'll ever be able to afford a $6500 rifle - so good on ya.

TargetShooting
October 17th, 2013, 12:33 PM
Release the bolt, align the cross (on scope) with target, pull the trigger...as of now I still think there won't be a huge learning curve for it.

I know it sounds crazy to some but, hey let's find out in 3 weeks.

bumblebee
October 17th, 2013, 12:45 PM
How did calling Cheytec work out for you?

Rumbler
October 17th, 2013, 03:55 PM
Release the bolt, align the cross (on scope) with target, pull the trigger...as of now I still think there won't be a huge learning curve for it.

I know it sounds crazy to some but, hey let's find out in 3 weeks.

I just want to make sure this is saved for posterity.

TargetShooting
October 17th, 2013, 04:52 PM
How did calling Cheytec work out for you?

Looks like the local gun store I am dealing with did a good job, got good feedback from Cheytac. Though, Cheytac treated me over politely as if I am in little league but hanging out with Jeff Kent...I am getting there, people!

Triad
October 17th, 2013, 06:30 PM
I just want to make sure this is saved for posterity.

Heh heh heh....

Rumbler
October 17th, 2013, 11:40 PM
Funny thing about shooting. Whether it be rifle or handgun. Bullseye or "tactical".

The more you learn, the more you realize that you don't know.​

Rumbler
October 18th, 2013, 09:55 AM
Maaaan. I'm crushed. :(

Maybe Bob and I can get jobs as target stands . . . 1117

0utlaw
October 18th, 2013, 10:14 AM
The only part funnier than the guy holding the target is the houses on the other side of the fence behind him.

TargetShooting
October 18th, 2013, 10:50 AM
Funny thing about shooting. Whether it be rifle or handgun. Bullseye or "tactical".

The more you learn, the more you realize that you don't know.​

Thus, just shoot for fun. Nothing else matters.

crawdaddy34
October 18th, 2013, 11:20 AM

Oooo.... Bad call homie.

rr53
October 18th, 2013, 06:03 PM
Yikes. Why did I read this?

0utlaw
October 18th, 2013, 06:13 PM
FNG is like a dang roller coaster, you never know which way hes going to turn:eek:

crawdaddy34
October 18th, 2013, 06:52 PM
I really can't believe no one has offered a "course correction" on this yet...

Man listen, I $6000+ rifle is awesome. I'm jealous. And I'm sure everyone at the range is gonna ogle your new toy....

But are you fucking serious???

You do realize that one day you may need to use that rifle (or one of your 4 "nice" handguns) in a situation that's not so fun don't you?
Hunting for food, defending your homestead, killing zombies.... whatever.

Dude, a LOT else matters. And I'm surprised that some of those on here that know that first hand haven't stepped in yet.

You should really re-evaluate your stance on this, OR re-evaluate your membership here.

Shooting is a fun sport. Having fun and challenging yourself to put all 14 rounds in the X, IMHO, is a great thing. But to believe that there is NOTHING more to it is rather naive....

rr53
October 18th, 2013, 07:13 PM
The night is still young..........

crawdaddy34
October 18th, 2013, 07:16 PM
The night is still young..........

True, and I'm waiting patiently.

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQrTWS-K6G-yYTXZ_eiW2fk2Jy67m5pzAQx3I_rrVVsURLSsVxg8A

But I do have to get up early. I hope it happens soon...

rr53
October 18th, 2013, 07:26 PM
Enjoy your time with kids and Momma. Im leaving next Friday. Post some pics.

bumblebee
October 18th, 2013, 08:00 PM
Who took the last beer out of the fridge?

crawdaddy34
October 18th, 2013, 08:04 PM
Enjoy your time with kids and Momma. Im leaving next Friday. Post some pics.

Will do.

Except Tack's momma isn't coming this time...

Everyone, shhh. Sometimes you just have to wind em up and let them go to see how interesting this is gonna get

It's bad info and a bad thought process to for new folks to see... but I said my piece. I have no delusions that TS will actually listen, so I quiet now...

crawdaddy34
October 18th, 2013, 08:06 PM
Ummmm......

I'm about to. Does that count?

YankeeFingergasm
October 18th, 2013, 08:09 PM
Shh......guys....it's like fishing, you gotta be quiet to catch anything.

rr53
October 18th, 2013, 08:19 PM
Shit. I dropped my beer in the jon boat.......sorry.

TargetShooting
October 18th, 2013, 10:18 PM
I really can't believe no one has offered a "course correction" on this yet...

Man listen, I $6000+ rifle is awesome. I'm jealous. And I'm sure everyone at the range is gonna ogle your new toy....

But are you fucking serious???

You do realize that one day you may need to use that rifle (or one of your 4 "nice" handguns) in a situation that's not so fun don't you?

Dude, a LOT else matters. And I'm surprised that some of those on here that know that first hand haven't stepped in yet.

You should really re-evaluate your stance on this, OR re-evaluate your membership here.

Shooting is a fun sport. Having fun and challenging yourself to put all 14 rounds in the X, IMHO, is a great thing. But to believe that there is NOTHING more to it is rather naive....

Man, I am sure you know I've been getting much better in shooting'n guns in a short period right, particularly after taking classes. Oh well I didn't mean gun is ONLY for fun, but it's my starting point objective - treating it as a hobby and a sport hence my handle on the forum is "targetshooting".

Relax a bit. From now on you can just think of me a new gun owner with a lot of time to kill around the range. How about coming out for the "chilli cook off" thingy next month? I've been head-to-heading with people online on different hobbies sites but after I met them we weren't arguing (serious argument) anymore.

If you do come, we shooting for ammo - loser pays for it :mad:

TargetShooting
October 18th, 2013, 10:24 PM

OK, looks like I need a shotgun. What can you suggest for a shotgun fits for home-defense and skeet/clay shooting?

Tack Driver
October 18th, 2013, 10:37 PM
Except Tack's momma isn't coming this time...

Your's is always cumming.

TargetShooting
October 18th, 2013, 10:39 PM
...How about coming out for the "chilli cook off" thingy next month? I've been head-to-heading with people online on different hobbies sites but after I met them we weren't arguing (serious argument) anymore.

If you do come, we shooting for ammo - loser pays for it :mad:

Just read another thread and it IS your event...Duh!

Anyway, can I come partake the soup? ;)

Tack Driver
October 18th, 2013, 10:41 PM
Just read another thread and it IT your event...Duh!

Anyway, can I come partake the soup? ;)

Every member of CCGF is welcome.

rr53
October 18th, 2013, 11:26 PM
OK, looks like I need a shotgun. What can you suggest for a shotgun fits for home-defense and skeet/clay shooting?

I have a nice little Snake Charmer .410.....

0utlaw
October 19th, 2013, 07:56 AM
I have #6 turkey shot, it'll make that .410 a great little home defense gun

WinterSoldier
October 20th, 2013, 07:16 AM
I think I understand, NOW, why Kevin's exists.

I like $100 rifles. I like $50 rifles even better.

I've got a $35 rifle that was last rebuilt over 60 years ago, and shoots 2 moa 5-shot groups at 100 yards with iron sights. It's a Turk clone of a Mauser Gewehr 98 so it's long and heavy and kicks like a mule, but 8mm will sure do the job; and the ammo for it cost me 5 cents per round.

Admittedly I hit the market on that one just right a few years back. Pat Burns had a fire sale when the feds took her license and Wholesale Guns and Ammo went under due to technical issues over what constitutes importing a full auto weapon. The average Turk seems to be running about $400 these days... and the ammo at that price is long gone, including most of mine.

Lemme see now: I like math. $6500 divided by $35 = 185.71 That's a bunch of rifles. I doubt that any of them will shoot a dust speck off of a gnat's behind at 1,000 meters... but, hell... neither can I, and it's plenty of fun not to try to.