PDA

View Full Version : ANOTHER TRAINING AID *** PICS **

Airgator0470
October 7th, 2013, 08:01 PM
Well... been busy today. I originally wanted to build a simulated roof top to run drills on but after considering various factors, I decided to skip the roofing shingles and just build an inclined shooting platform. I put a few runs on the top to make getting up on top manageable but not too easy.

While build it, the idea came to me to incorporate a shooting box down below... worked out great... will really be a challenge at extended ranges. These training aids should really come in handy at classes.

Here are the results from my weekend of carpentry...

http://imageshack.us/a/img23/1127/pmiw.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img543/8319/o1g5.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img28/8440/cn37.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img543/8319/o1g5.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img837/5787/cxnh.jpg

YankeeFingergasm
October 7th, 2013, 08:06 PM
You need to paint that shit!

Airgator0470
October 7th, 2013, 08:16 PM
You need to paint that shit!

What color(s) would you recommend my good man? ... and would YOU be willing to do it? Actually, I think I'm going to rub it down with diesel fuel... don't laugh... diesel works great as a protective coating... either that or spend some more $ and get some Thompson's...

YankeeFingergasm
October 7th, 2013, 08:37 PM
Yeah I'll paint it...I saw grafitti it...maybe put a window a/c for the shooting box

Rumbler
October 7th, 2013, 10:34 PM
I could get in that shooting box down below. But you will need a can opener and a sky hook to get me out.

Bob, you are an evil, evil man. ;)

Airgator0470
October 7th, 2013, 10:54 PM
My thought is to cut a mail slots under the window. 1 inch high by 6 wide. To shoot out of it, you have to lay rifle on side and adjust. everything is wrong and takes some practice. Also a slot on an angle 45 degrees. Then you have to deal with Cant (tilt so to speak.) Will show your attendees why it is good to have the rifle sights level. On a tank, you aim 1 mil high and in opposite direction of the cant. Of course this only applies to the telescope sight. The computer controlled sight takes care of this.

I have two V-Tac type barricades and three smaller "Shape-Port" barricades for that kind of work.

Those have holes in them because NO MATTER HOW MUCH I YELL... people still shoot the wood. It's great training because they get to experience auditory exclusion due to trying to concentrate on the sights, the clock, and everything else... EXCEPT where the damn gun barrel is in relation to the sight...

Tanks you say... I spent 5 years on M60A1's and M60A3's... I'm quite familiar with tanks (60 series that is). My younger brother is currently a CSM stationed in VA... he was also on tanks and was a Master Gunner... he was on the Abrams though...

Airgator0470
October 7th, 2013, 10:57 PM
I've been trying to find some pics from the A-Line and BWT ranges. They have ones just like this and a bunch more that make it awkward as shit to shoot. They're great training though. Instead of diesel fuel, you should cover it with pig guts just to make to as awkward as possible.

I was thinking of laying down some gobs of contact cement on the platform and then just sprinkling broken glass on top... or... how about some nails driven upward from underneath... that ought to make for some good shit...

Airgator0470
October 9th, 2013, 04:32 AM
Get a couple of cut off end pieces from the culvert place on capitol circle NW. 2 or 3 foot diameter, 6 feet or longer.

You must be a mind reader..... :cool:

Airgator0470
October 15th, 2013, 11:45 AM
Well... the shooting box portion of the inclined barricade got used this weekend as did the tall barricade.

I really need to come up with some challenging drills for the roof but while keeping safety in mind... last thing a class needs is a broken leg.

After seeing some students have a hard time getting in and out of the truck, I got second thoughts about using the roof. Maybe I'll incorporate that into the Super-Duper Advanced Sniper Precision II Rifle Course... lol

YankeeFingergasm
October 15th, 2013, 11:52 AM
I still think the command fire using that would be fun. Maybe even a change up on the relay. Prone at 200 yards, run back to 300 yards for a prone shot, then roof top for more shot.

Rumbler
October 15th, 2013, 12:37 PM
I still think the command fire using that would be fun. Maybe even a change up on the relay. Prone at 200 yards, run back to 300 yards for a prone shot, then roof top for more shot.

have I mentioned lately how much I hate you?

. . . just want to make sure you don't forget! :p

;););););)

Airgator0470
October 15th, 2013, 12:55 PM
Start at the 300 yard mark with 300 yard DOPE dialed in... fire 1 round off the roof then go down into the box and fire 1 round... run to the 200 yard standing barricade and fire 1 round FROM EACH position SUPPORT SIDE STANDING, STRONG SIDE STANDING, WINDOW STANDING... run to the 100 and fire the REDUCING CIRCLE DRILL... then run all the way back to the 200 REPEAT that stage... run back to the 300 and REPEAT that stage... total of 15 rounds.

One of the training goals would be to shoot the entire course of fire using DIALED IN 300 YARD DOPE.

JMW4570
October 15th, 2013, 01:11 PM
Start at the 300 yard mark with 300 yard DOPE dialed in... fire 1 round off the roof then go down into the box and fire 1 round... run to the 200 yard standing barricade and fire 1 round FROM EACH position SUPPORT SIDE STANDING, STRONG SIDE STANDING, WINDOW STANDING... run to the 100 and fire the REDUCING CIRCLE DRILL... then run all the way back to the 200 REPEAT that stage... run back to the 300 and REPEAT that stage... total of 15 rounds.

One of the training goals would be to shoot the entire course of fire using DIALED IN 300 YARD DOPE.

In 45 seconds or less....

NJC
November 8th, 2013, 10:15 PM
Thats an awesome looking piece of kit. I'd like to try banging steel on it from 300 yds.

Airgator0470
November 11th, 2013, 11:29 AM
Thats an awesome looking piece of kit. I'd like to try banging steel on it from 300 yds.

We incorporated the "roof" into the shooting drills this past weekend and it proved to provide a challenge even to the most experienced rifleman.

We also did the simultaneous multi-gun count down firing drill with one on top and one in the box... worked out great.

NJC
November 11th, 2013, 12:55 PM
Bob,
Burney and Chuck gave you a solid review and those two men can shoot.
When is the next course ?

Airgator0470
November 11th, 2013, 01:14 PM
Bob,
Burney and Chuck gave you a solid review and those two men can shoot.
When is the next course ?

I'm very pleased to here this... I will openly admit I was concerned that with those two guys coming, whether or not I was going to deliver instruction worthy of good review. Actually... I viewed both of them coming as a chance to validate myself as a worthy instructor. Ask anyone who has been to one of my classes... I don't lack confidence, I just know there can be some tough critics out there...:cool:

While I only knew of Burney from an FDCC shoot some 10 or 11 years ago, I knew he was an accomplished marksmen and firearms enthusiast and assumed the same of Chuck. I knew they would be bringing experience and knowledge and a previous basis to judge my performance as an instructor.

I've got some tweaking to do to lesson plans based on feedback and improvements to the range thus I will gear back up with a training schedule after the new year as I've been running pretty steady since April/May timeframe. I try real hard to incorporate feedback into corrective/improvement actions.

I'd love to have the opportunity to train with you so keep an eye out for future class announcements.

NJC
November 11th, 2013, 01:29 PM
sounds good, my admin wont pay for training, so your pricing is right up my alley and would be even better on my off weekend :-) and from what I have been told it is well worth it.

While I consider myself about an average shot with a scope gun, I have never had any formal training on that weapons platform, always been pistol and carbine.

I will look forward to shooting from the roof maybe early in the new year.

NJC