PDA

View Full Version : USPSA at Talon 10/5/13

AB
October 6th, 2013, 04:58 PM
Even though it was a FSU football weekend and Parent's Weekend on top of that, there were still 40 shooters who attended the match. I always rave about the stages at Talon, but after years of shooting at a 90 degree berm locally it is extremely nice to have three-sided bays to set up proper stages in!

The killer stage was #2, which had target arrays requiring non-dominant one hand shooting at 20 and 25 yards. Extremely challenging!

Because no one had posted about it yet this month, I just wanted to get on the board and say what a great match Talon puts on, and how supportive folks are of new shooters in regards to gear, advice, and strategy. Safety always comes first, so there wouldn't be any breaks on safety matters no matter how new the shooter was.

Thus ends the plug for USPSA and Talon in general.

Until next month!

Airgator0470
October 6th, 2013, 05:03 PM
Sounds like a great exciting way to spend the day... I'd like to get out that way some day and try my hand at it. I don't know what the average crowd is... but 40 sounds like a good show up. Is that on the lighter side of attendance?

AB
October 6th, 2013, 06:06 PM
Only three USPSA matches have been there so far. The numbers were 52, 41, and 40. There were at least two shooters who were at a major match elsewhere and probably one or two more I'm forgetting so I'd say it was on the low side.

YankeeFingergasm
October 6th, 2013, 08:43 PM
I had to work this weekend. It would've better to be there Saturday though.

Frady
October 6th, 2013, 09:49 PM
Travel forced me to miss this week, but I'll second the sentiment that the matches at Talon are outstanding. Thanks to John and Dave for all they do for us shooters in the area.

*Edit* Link to pictures John sent in an email.

http://s190.photobucket.com/user/losrobles/slideshow/Talon%20IPSC-Oct%202013?sort=9

Rumbler
October 6th, 2013, 10:35 PM
For those of you who have not yet attended these matches but see 40-50 shooters and say "oh crap!" I would like to point out that traditionally we set aside SIX ranges (bays) for these matches. Even 75 divided by six, means not much waiting around to shoot a stage. :)

AB
October 6th, 2013, 11:06 PM
Yeah, we were done by around 1:30-2:00.

Lonesurvivor23
October 7th, 2013, 07:50 AM
I was unable to make the match due to the football game! I was equally bummed not to be able to compete this month at the USPSA as I was to watch FSU drum Maryland. The matches at Talon are awesome and the people are extremely kind and helpful, so anyone interested in shooting but apprehensive due to never having shot "competitively", try it it! It is an blast that transforms into an addiction. I also enjoy watching competitors like John Rassmussen and AB shooting the courses as they are walking tutorials!