PDA

View Full Version : CCGF Member Shows Flawless Isosceles Stance

TheJewban
September 23rd, 2013, 06:27 PM
This is how it's done.

At shooting clinic under the tutelage of Signal-0's Bob Capps, Ceddie demonstrates the Isosceles Shooting Stance intact.

Questions and comments welcome. Get your asses in here and let's discuss.:D

<Shit, did I post about this already? I'm losing my mind.>

AB
September 23rd, 2013, 06:50 PM
Flawless choice of pistol, as well!

TheJewban
September 23rd, 2013, 07:12 PM
Yeah, I think it was the Kahr .40. I was surprised the grip angle felt similar to a 1911 but the trigger pull was just too long for me. I don't think there was a reset either. First time I ever shot one. Do you own one?

Rumbler
September 23rd, 2013, 09:58 PM
We need to take up a collection and buy Ceddie a handgun more appropriate for his stature in the community.

. . .not that there is anything wrong with that little baby pistol, Ceddie. I'm sure your Grandmother just loves it to death. http://www.pic4ever.com/images/4chsmu1.gif

north-fl-trader
September 23rd, 2013, 10:04 PM
Here is one for you, and she has less than 1 year of shooting experience in this picture...

TheJewban
September 24th, 2013, 01:35 AM
WOW! Fantastic form north-fl.

She looks to be utilizing natural defensive body position (check); her feet about shoulder width apart (check); her strong-side foot slightly behind weak-side (check); her center of gravity appears slightly forward (check); can’t tell if she’s leaning on balls of feet; her upper body is square to target (check); her knees are slightly bent (check); her arms appear straight with elbows at natural extension (check); hmm, can see shoulders forward of hips but not sure if hips are forward of knees; her shoulders are rotated forward and her head is down behind the sights but it doesn't have that aggressive forward leaning appearance that I’m used to seeing in a Modified Isosceles.

God, don’t even get me started on the grip - exquisite.

This is a Modified Isosceles, correct?

You’ve done a fantastic job if you’re her shooting coach. Most definitely. http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-happy119.gif

AB
September 24th, 2013, 09:11 AM
I own the PM9, (9mm) which is one of two EDC's I have. Depending on weather, destination, time of day, ect I carry it or my Glock 22.

north-fl-trader
September 24th, 2013, 09:17 PM
WOW! Fantastic form north-fl.

She looks to be utilizing natural defensive body position (check); her feet about shoulder width apart (check); her strong-side foot slightly behind weak-side (check); her center of gravity appears slightly forward (check); can’t tell if she’s leaning on balls of feet; her upper body is square to target (check); her knees are slightly bent (check); her arms appear straight with elbows at natural extension (check); hmm, can see shoulders forward of hips but not sure if hips are forward of knees; her shoulders are rotated forward and her head is down behind the sights but it doesn't have that aggressive forward leaning appearance that I’m used to seeing in a Modified Isosceles.

God, don’t even get me started on the grip - exquisite.

This is a Modified Isosceles, correct?

You’ve done a fantastic job if you’re her shooting coach. Most definitely. http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-happy119.gif

Her feet are squared up to the target, it is the angle of the photo.

She is a much better student than I am teacher.

Her grip has to be good, those little hands leave no room for error. Those with ham fists (me) have the opposite problem.

She likes to shoot, I just wish she had "a passion" for it.

I told her about RAFSU, and she plans on attending FSU after her stint at Chipola College, so maybe Molary and the team will Inspire her for me.

TheJewban
September 24th, 2013, 11:33 PM
She likes to shoot, I just wish she had "a passion" for it.

Hmm, know what you mean. The one consolation I can offer with those types in this sport is that passion grows over time. It's not like other activities kids pick up, and as they get older lose interest and never go back to it. That's been my experience.

Anyway, great job with the coaching and thanks for posting the pic.:)

Ceddie
September 25th, 2013, 04:53 AM
Awe shucks... thanks for the complement gut it is all your camera work that makes me look good!!
I've been working on liking the Isosceles for about a year and a half now but I still revert to weaver when I get under stress. I shoot WAY better in ISO but years of training is tough to break. I was specifically working on controlled pairs and keeping the aimed second shot with that mile long trigger pull. The Kahr takes some getting use to but is is a good little shooter.
AB, do you have any input about how to speed up the follow ups with the Kahr's reset?

Tack Driver
September 25th, 2013, 07:48 AM
the Kahr's reset?

No such thing.

AB
September 25th, 2013, 08:26 AM
It's fairly painful, I'll agree! I had mine handy as I was reading this and checked the reset on it. It looks to be about a full inch of trigger travel before reset! Mostly the follow-up speed requires a lot of practice, because the longer the reset, the more time the rest of your body has to change position while your trigger finger goes off on a long journey alone, wandering the land like Kane in Kung Fu.

I generally see two ways to practice this: The conventional way and the way that is very effective but more traditional instructors risk blood pressure issues even thinking about.

Conventional wisdom is that you practice until you can snap the trigger out exactly enough to reset it and begin the second pull, never losing contact with the trigger face. That's great, when it works or when you have completely mastered it. I would never attempt to argue that there is a faster way, mechanically, to fire the second shot. The second way is to completely come off the trigger, draw the trigger up to 90-95% of the breaking point, pause (talking like .01-.05 sec here, not a long one!), and then break the shot. The infintesimally short pause allows you to settle in and break an accurate second shot rather than having all the drawbacks of slapping the trigger.

TheJewban
September 25th, 2013, 01:24 PM
Awe shucks... thanks for the complement gut it is all your camera work that makes me look good!!

Modesty in excess. I took the picture but I didn't change it.http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-basic/happyno.gif

Ceddie
September 25th, 2013, 10:11 PM
no but you did take the picture at just the right time.

TheJewban
September 25th, 2013, 11:57 PM
We both did good - how 'bout that?:)