PDA

View Full Version : Sight Alignment Quiz - Prize Included

TheJewban
September 20th, 2013, 01:03 PM
I have a Tip/Trick but decided it would be fun turning it into a quiz.:D

QUIZ - How exactly do you acquire Sight Alignment with a pistol quickly? Answer and then give a concise explanation.

Okay guys & gals, we all know Sight Alignment (hopefully) right? Just in case - a short review:

SIGHT ALIGNMENT

The Relationship between the front and rear sights. Eye lined up with Front and Rear Sights and sights positioned in Proper Sight Alignment. Proper Sight Alignment being Front Sight vertically centered in Rear Sight Notch (Light Bars equal on both sides of Front Sight Post) with tops of front and rear sight even, level, horizontally aligned.

That all sounds great, now explain the tip/trick that that gets us to that arrangement quickly off the initial and all follow-up shots.

Google all you want...surprisingly, I haven't found a thing except for the generic canned response that mimics the formal definition above. To be clear I'm not talking about a Flash Sight Picture, I'm talking about Fast Sight Alignment.

The winner will receive 1 free verbal voucher to attend a Signal-0 AR15 Basic Class (http://signal-0.com/Classes_AR15Basic.aspx) or Signal-0 AR15 Advanced Class (http://signal-0.com/Classes_AR15Advanced.aspx). This has nothing to do with Airgator. He doesn't even know I've made this post. If you win I send funds to Airgator and you're in, simple as that.:)

Determining Winner: CCGF Member Consensus.

Basically all instruction is subjective (well somewhat). So CCGF Member Consensus means if I'm telling everyone they're wrong, don't choose a winner, and you all call bullshit on my answer, then the winner will be determined by you guys as long as the answer is majority opinion. If I choose a winner and you all call bullshit that's tough, unless I'm convinced otherwise and go with your answer which will determine the winner.

Easy as pie, now open up your blue books and direct all questions for clarity to the test proctor. No time limit applies. :D

ETA: ALL SIGNAL-0 EMPLOYEES ARE DISQUALIFIED FROM PARTICIPATING.http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-forum/stop.gif

TheJewban
September 20th, 2013, 03:22 PM
Go ahead and say it folks - a stupid post wasn't it. Sorry.http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-sad030.gif

TheJewban
September 20th, 2013, 03:35 PM
Look at this thread (http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_13_7/562_Pistol_Sight_Picture_Acquisition_Drill__.html) . I know exactly what the OP is asking yet no one answered the question. No explanation as to probable cause and how to resolve it. There's hundreds of threads like this out there .

ETA: Sorry, I meant thousands.http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-sad033.gif

TheJewban
September 20th, 2013, 03:55 PM
How about sharing it with the rest of us? http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-basic/arms.gif How do you know what everyone else does? You might have come up with a novel technique that's better than what's out there and not know it. If not, maybe your way of doing it works perfect for the shooter that's tried everything else. Just an idea. http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-basic/bye.gif

Rumbler
September 20th, 2013, 05:36 PM
I'll bite. Though I don't think that this is a one size fits all thing. Different methods will work better for different people. So all I can say with confidence is what works for me. And it should be noted that I am NOT a "bullseye shooter". When I shoot for finite accuracy I most definitely use a different technique.

First off, and most importantly, with both eyes open I find a point of focus on the target. Be that a zipper tab, or a button, or a medallion, or a gold tooth, or the end of a nose. With my focus there, I extend the pistol out and up slightly if necessary in order to bring the sights into my "fuzzy vision". What I am looking for is simply a flat line, and two as you call them; light bars.

The flat line is formed by the front and rear sight being level. For my eyes it is much easier and much faster to detect a line bowed up or down than to try and finitely adjust "top of this and top of that" - I simply look for a short flat line with two light bars approximately the same size (and I judge that 100% intuitively) SUPERIMPOSED in my line of vision.

With this said, I do not believe it is my "skill at arms" that facilitates this technique. I believe it is knowing my natural point of aim, reinforcing it through both dry and live fire.

. . is that response what you were looking for, Lawrence? I can be much longer winded if you want . . . . . ;)

Rumbler
September 20th, 2013, 05:45 PM
Oh! Recovery for followup shots. Reasonably Simple too.

Simply do not allow the wrist to "break" during recoil. We all know a handgun tries to move in three directions simultaneously when it fires. Trying to absolutely control all of those is an exercise in futility. Well, you know; unless you shoot a girly gun like a 9MM. :p The only movement that matters is that which inhibits getting sight alignment and sight picture back.

Mitigating recoil by allowing it to be absorbed by arms and shoulders will take care of that. Muzzle climb is the one that is a bear. I think that all we can do - I know that all *I* can do, is to funnel that force right down the same path the recoil energy took; into my arm bones and ultimately the mass of my shoulder. NOT breaking the wrist is of vital importance in redirecting that force.

. . . course, when I have a choice both the wrist and elbow joints are locked and my arm is as straight as an arrow from the shoulder forward regardless of my torso position relative to the target. But the elbow is somewhat optional.

YankeeFingergasm
September 20th, 2013, 06:41 PM
Taking more notes....who else will educate me? Share your knowledge

TheJewban
September 20th, 2013, 07:40 PM
With my focus there, I extend the pistol out and up slightly if necessary in order to bring the sights into my "fuzzy vision". What I am looking for is simply a flat line, and two as you call them; light bars.

Hmm, rephrase what you said there. ""Fuzzy vision" is self explanatory :) and "flat line" (which you explained) is the same canned bullshit response for proper sight alignment, i.e., front sight vertically centered in rear sight notch, with tops of...yada, yada, yada...

But I'm very interested in your quo...scratch that...rephrase please.

... is that response what you were looking for, Lawrence?
Let's just say I got a little excited...but no, sorry.

I can be much longer winded if you want . . . . .;)

Please indulge me, but only as it relates to your quote above and/or to; a) the position of the pistol right when you begin the systematic series of actions for proper sight alignment, b) specifically what you are looking at throughout those systematic series of actions and, c) the path you're taking throughout those systematic series of actions. Then provide an explanation as to why you're doing what you're doing throughout the entire process.

Keep it confined to SIGHT ALIGNMENT. For example, I understand "both eyes open...point of focus on the target" and all that, but remember that comes under AIMING and under AIMING comes SIGHT ALIGNMENT and SIGHT PICTURE. I'm only concerned with SIGHT ALIGNMENT.

But shit molary, that was one hell of a post.http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-dance012.gif

TheJewban
September 20th, 2013, 07:48 PM
Remember folks, the keywords here are Quick, Fast. This is about reducing time to acquire proper sight alignment.

TheJewban
September 20th, 2013, 08:13 PM
I break down into the Groucho, simultaneously drawing, trace the ribcage to the sternum with my thumb, clasp both hands at the sternum, bring my head and hands on the same plane, push my trigger finger's linear plane to my preselected target, (usually at the enemy's mouth), push forward til my arms are a little more than 45 degrees at the elbow, adjust the pistol receiver to form "two receivers" by staring at the target while adjusting up-down-left-right, and finishing by draw the other 50% of pull left on the trigger. I don't use the sights and I don't shoot at circular targets because this is not a game, a hobby, and the circle doesn't shoot back. That's just me though, and I'm certifiably strange. Btw, my chest stays parallel to the enemy at all times with my arms touching my sides. Be small!

Sorry - no. http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-sad058.gif

TheJewban
September 20th, 2013, 08:18 PM
Taking more notes....who else will educate me? Share your knowledge

Hang in there Yankee, btw how you doing?http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-basic/bye.gif

TheJewban
September 20th, 2013, 08:45 PM
I'll bite. Though I don't think that this is a one size fits all thing. Different methods will work better for different people.

Agreed, and I'm taking a big leap of faith this method will be considered by general consent; an approved technique if you will. If not, then I'll be the laughing stock around here.http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-basic/rip.gif

TheJewban
September 21st, 2013, 12:54 PM
I break down into the Groucho, simultaneously drawing, trace the ribcage to the sternum with my thumb, clasp both hands at the sternum, bring my head and hands on the same plane, push my trigger finger's linear plane to my preselected target, (usually at the enemy's mouth), push forward til my arms are a little more than 45 degrees at the elbow, adjust the pistol receiver to form "two receivers" by staring at the target while adjusting up-down-left-right, and finishing by draw the other 50% of pull left on the trigger. I don't use the sights and I don't shoot at circular targets because this is not a game, a hobby, and the circle doesn't shoot back. That's just me though, and I'm certifiably strange. Btw, my chest stays parallel to the enemy at all times with my arms touching my sides. Be small!

Sorry - no. http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-sad058.gif

Well like I said, you wouldn't like it...

Yeah, sorry about that jlfar. Btw, I didn't grasp a lot of what you were saying. For the sake of new/inexperienced/unskilled shooters and myself I'd to clarify the following:

...by staring at the target while adjusting up-down-left-right...

What are you adjusting up-down-left-right?

TheJewban
September 21st, 2013, 02:15 PM
Sorry, did I ask something wrong? :confused:

Johnny
September 21st, 2013, 04:23 PM
I just constrate bon the spot I want the bullet to go as I drawing as soon as the front sight comes up to target fire!

Rumbler
September 21st, 2013, 04:26 PM
I just constrate bon the spot I want the bullet to go as I drawing as soon as the front sight comes up to target fire!

That is just . . . . way too easy Johnny. :p

TheJewban
September 21st, 2013, 05:49 PM
Jlfar, I read this passage a long time ago:

There are no experts in any subject, just Reasonably Knowledgeable Individuals, or RKI’s. I like that concept as it keeps all of us honest and locked into the permanent role of student.

That's the first thing I see when opening my NRA Trainer’s Guide. I’m an RKI. I’m always learning. Always eager to seek out new, old, novel shooting methods that work. That’s the only reason I ask questions.

I hang out mostly in the Information (http://forum.capitalcitygunforum.com/forumdisplay.php?8-Information) or Firearm Information and Discovery (http://forum.capitalcitygunforum.com/forumdisplay.php?14-Firearm-Information-and-Discovery) forums because I want to learn, and maybe pass on some knowledge.

This is a small forum uncluttered with bullshit you see on the larger ones, so it makes me feel part of a close knit family. Like it or not I see you as my brother.

Always cognizant of lurkers seeking gun instruction, information, or tips and tricks, I try to formulate posts and direct threads to encourage their participation.

Now for the hard part, and mind you, I’m pouring my heart out here. I can be daft at times but I’m not stupid. When it comes to gun instruction I like it - need, it, dumbed way down, and from there to move step-by-step, gradually and steadily forward. I believe there are many new and unskilled gun owners who feel the same way but hesitant to admit it. They’re afraid of asking silly questions, or don’t want to be the first ones hoping someone else will, or afraid they’ll be met with the following response and just leave the forum all together:

Yeah, sorry about that jlfar. Btw, I didn't grasp a lot of what you were saying. For the sake of new/inexperienced/unskilled shooters and myself I'd to clarify the following:

What are you adjusting up-down-left-right?

Just...nevermind

That’s why I ask.

You said earlier, “I just wasn't gonna answer because I know I wouldn't do it like everyone else does and I wouldn't win.” This isn’t about winning or losing, it’s about learning. I thought it would be fun to encourage participation by turning it into a game. I know that implies winners and losers but it’s not about that.

No, you don’t do Sight alignment like everyone else. Your style is unique, unconventional, novel, and it works for you. Now, unless your keeping a secret recipe I want to learn how you index the pistol on target too...in that dumbed down fashion I was talking about. It might/might not work for me but I still want to learn and then decide.

That’s why I ask.

My questions are not meant to demean or ridicule. I’m not trying to bait or troll. If my posts appear that way than I encourage feedback from you, and other brothers and sisters, so I can change my writing style.

This is a gun board with an Information and Discovery Forum. I’m here to listen to other RKI’s, to learn, to encourage participation, and pass on what little I know.
If my questions/thread appear stupid to you that’s fine. I won’t be insulted. I only ask that you not participate. If you do, I only ask that you tolerate my interrogative form, however stupid and frivolous it appears to you.

Anyway if history is an indicator, this thread will probably die so no harm no foul - I’ll be talking to myself.:o

The pistol receiver is adjusted to the correct vertical and horizontal placement...

Can you provide more detail please? Are you talking about Point Shooting (threat focused instinctive rapid reaction)?http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-ashamed008.gif

Rumbler
September 21st, 2013, 10:34 PM
I want to learn how you index the pistol on target too...in that dumbed down fashion I was talking about.

Tangent time. I would like to address this because it is something I deal with frequently in taking "bullseye" shooters to "combat" shooters. And it seems to work quite well.

Lawrence I know you know "keep the finger off the trigger until the sights are on the target". Where does that naturally tend to place the pointing, trigger, finger? Just above the trigger guard running parallel to the bore. Where are the thumbs when one has a correct (for control) grip on the pistol? Both thumbs pointing forward parallel to the bore.

Now here is the magic: To "index" simply do what you have been doing all your life. Point. It doesn't matter if you have the handgun "high" or "low" or anywhere inbetween. It doesn't even matter if you are looking at what you index to. Just point your finger.

Try this; Keep your full visual focus on the computer screen. WITHOUT LOOKING point your finger at a lamp, or a TV, or a chair, or a cat (you get the idea) in the room. Now, look where you are pointing. Betcha a nickle you either pointed dead center, or pretty dang close.

"Indexing".

Now repeat that exercise using a thumb. I'll bet you are at least pretty dang close.

Now, think about your grip on the handgun again. You are indexing naturally with three fingers! Two thumbs and a pointing finger.

How in the heck could you miss ?!?! http://www.pic4ever.com/images/cowboypistol.gif

north-fl-trader
September 21st, 2013, 10:44 PM
Tangent time. I would like to address this because it is something I deal with frequently in taking "bullseye" shooters to "combat" shooters. And it seems to work quite well.

Lawrence I know you know "keep the finger off the trigger until the sights are on the target". Where does that naturally tend to place the pointing, trigger, finger? Just above the trigger guard running parallel to the bore. Where are the thumbs when one has a correct (for control) grip on the pistol? Both thumbs pointing forward parallel to the bore.

Now here is the magic: To "index" simply do what you have been doing all your life. Point. It doesn't matter if you have the handgun "high" or "low" or anywhere inbetween. It doesn't even matter if you are looking at what you index to. Just point your finger.

Try this; Keep your full visual focus on the computer screen. WITHOUT LOOKING point your finger at a lamp, or a TV, or a chair, or a cat (you get the idea) in the room. Now, look where you are pointing. Betcha a nickle you either pointed dead center, or pretty dang close.

"Indexing".

Now repeat that exercise using a thumb. I'll bet you are at least pretty dang close.

Now, think about your grip on the handgun again. You are indexing naturally with three fingers! Two thumbs and a pointing finger.

How in the heck could you miss ?!?! http://www.pic4ever.com/images/cowboypistol.gif

Now, all you have to do is find a firearm that aligns with your natural point of aim, and you are golden.

This is the first thing I talk about when student ask about buying a new firearm.

Pick a spot on the wall or item in the room, close your eyes, draw your cleared and unloaded firearm, point it at that spot and open your eyes. If your firearm "points" well for you, the sights should be really close to properly aligned with that point/item.

TheJewban
September 22nd, 2013, 12:38 AM

Sorry, rules strictly dictate that we adhere to the precise definition of PROPER SIGHT ALIGNMENT and how to attain it quickly. The word combat shouldn't even appear in this thread. Now "bullseye" is a different story but that has to do with Aiming (perfect Sight Picture & Sight Alignment).http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-basic/happyyes.gif

I'm sorry molary, I don't mean to be thick, but if "it doesn't matter if you have the handgun "high" or "low" or anywhere in between" and"it doesn't even matter if you are looking at what you index to", then how can the the front sight be perfectly centered in the rear sight notch (light bars being equal on both sides) with the tops precisely even, level, and horizontally aligned?

I'm just not following - I'm sorry.

Are you telling me that when I thrust my gun out, thumbs and trigger finger pointed forward and parallel to the bore, I will have Sight Alignment...without having to make any adjustments?

Do not read any sarcasm into that question. It's asked in all sincerity.

YankeeFingergasm
September 22nd, 2013, 12:59 AM
This is getting some meat to it. Good discussion keep it up guys.

TheJewban
September 22nd, 2013, 01:20 AM
Are you taking notes? :) Are you going to take a shot at the question?;)

Rumbler
September 22nd, 2013, 10:10 AM
Lawrence, I think that it may bear explaining that there is a big - HUGE - difference in concepts between "bullseye" shooting and "combat shooting".

I do the later. The former is nothing if not deadly to the shooter should it be applied in a combat (or self defense) scenario. The later, is clearly inferior to the former in a "bulleseye" scenario.

At the risk of stating the obvious; in the bullseye scenario stacking bullets one on top of another on the target (proverbially) is a good thing. Finite accuracy is the goal after all. In a self defense or combat scenario fractions of a second can and often DO make the difference between winning and becoming compost. Further, 'stacking' bullets is counter productive if your goal is to end the threat.

These days, well over 80% of people shot with handguns survive. In many cases, they never even lose consciousness. A conscious person, who has the will to fight, is still a threat.

Handguns, generally speaking, SUCK as fight stoppers. The best we can hope for it to poke so many holes in the threat that they leak so much so fast that they stop being capable of fighting no matter how committed they are to continuing their aggression.

THAT is why finite accuracy - will get you killed. Imagine a handgun bullet as an ice pick. Whether stabbed once or 30 times in the same spot you just get one leak. Now imagine being stabbed 15 times all over the torso (or anywhere else). You now have 15 separate leaks. Much more effective than one leak!

And here is the relevance in all this; We train for finite accuracy on the first shot. Subsequent shots, somewhat less.

It is my absolute belief this is necessary but we must not allow ourselves to be lulled into thinking - believing - we will have time for that.

We train for situational awareness, we train for threat assessment. But we do not train for blind corners, a bag of groceries in each hand, being in a hurry to get home to watch the game on TV, on being distracted because we just learned our wife of 50 years is 'into' donkey sex.

That means that in the real world, chances are indeed very slim that we will have the time to get 'set' to engage the threat. It will be more like; "ohcrapbangbang', than "oh crap. Draw, sight alignment, sight picture, careful - FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL SIGHTS ON TARGET!, now smooth trigger press until the bang".

Train for the worst case scenario. Than anything else is easy.

I don't know how many folks do this, I'm guessing not many, but when I "practice", I keep to an absolute minimum the drills I am good at. I practice what I am bad at.

. . . that is how I can spend countless hours, endless days on the range, and never run out of stuff to do.:o

TheJewban
September 22nd, 2013, 05:43 PM

Hey, thanks for joining in Johnny. Do you just use front sight for point of aim?

YankeeFingergasm
September 22nd, 2013, 05:53 PM
Are you taking notes? :) Are you going to take a shot at the question?;)

Most definitely taking notes. I have no way near enough experience and or knowledge on this. Just a wet behind the ears newb here.

TheJewban
September 22nd, 2013, 07:44 PM
I know you’re out there, always present but not posting. A read-only peripheral participant not knowing what to say - or not caring. Maybe feeling intimidated by lack of knowledge, heated discussions, snobbery, posters dominating discussions with intolerance, a perceived clique of gun gurus, or self-conscious about looking or sounding dumb.

Well consider this.

Gun folk by their very nature are opinionated, biased, and stubborn. That’s understood and accepted because many in the gun community have spent years in search of the holy grail of accuracy. And when they find it, they don’t need no pipsqueak posting a lame ass quiz to test their knowledge on quick sight alignment.

I’ve posted a quiz on a gun board that has some pretty good RKI’s. One factually stating there is no “one size fits all” to my question, and that “different methods will work better for different people”. Again, this is all 100% correct and true. But like I said earlier...

...I'm taking a big leap of faith this method will be considered by general consent; an approved technique if you will. If not, then I'll be the laughing stock around here.http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-basic/rip.gif

I know all you thumb twiddling smiling lurkers are waiting for me to get chewed up, spit out, and left for dead (after I get my ass handed to me). So here’s what I’m saying...because I created this inconvenient circumstance, the least you lazy apathetic mofo’s can do for a dead man is show some respect, get off your asses, get in here, and take a stab (not at me) at how one would/should quickly place their front sight perfectly in that rear sight notch. It’s either the answer I’m looking for and you win some gun training, or it’s not, and you revel in the relentless onslaught sure to come my way.http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-basic/tears.gif

Some key points to remember. When Sight Shooting, NOT Point Shooting, Aiming consists of two stages: Sight Alignment and Sight Picture. We are ONLY concerned with Sight Alignment, i.e., the front sight in perfect alignment with the rear sight.

Stop licking your chops, de-lurk, and get your asses in here NOW.

Disclaimer: The author of this post can assure its readers that the content found within said post is for the sole purpose of promoting active participation in said post, in hopes that said participation will garner support for said author because said author is scared shitless that lack of participation will ultimately result in said authors demise (HELP - I'm a forking dead man).
http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-basic/excited.gif

TheJewban
September 22nd, 2013, 07:50 PM
Most definitely taking notes. I have no way near enough experience and or knowledge on this. Just a wet behind the ears newb here.

Do you have a pistol on you now, to use as a training aid while we're hashing this out?

Will you attend my funeral - maybe volunteer as a pallbearer. http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-sad055.gif

Johnny
September 22nd, 2013, 08:02 PM
yes jewban only for point of aim I am not concerned with the rear sight in a combat sinerio both eyes open an focused on spot.Basic the same as molary.It works also on running game.

TheJewban
September 22nd, 2013, 08:24 PM
Johnny, I'm not talking about Combat (Point) Shooting. I'm talking about Aimed Fire (Sight Shooting). Is there not ever a time when you rely on aimed fire, e.g., plinking, target practice, when point (combat) shooting is no longer effective, etc.?

YankeeFingergasm
September 22nd, 2013, 08:43 PM
Johnny, I'm not talking about Combat (Point) Shooting. I'm talking about Aimed Fire (Sight Shooting). Is there not ever a time when you rely on aimed fire, e.g., plinking, target practice, when point (combat) shooting is no longer effective, etc.?

I don't think you'll get many to admit they shoot static paper targets. It's not cool or whatever is perceived to be negative about it. I do. I think there's a time and place for everything. You always hear how bulls eye training/shooting is boring. I think people should remember that's where, I assume, most people start out at and progress on to "combat" training. My perception is paper punching is where the fundamentals are taught, layering a solid base knowledge if you will. I want to know more and plan on becoming a better paper puncher. Isn't there something to being an incredibly accurate shot? Like I said, I don't know this stuff. I'm new. I hope you'all continue to share your knowledge with me.

TheJewban
September 22nd, 2013, 09:00 PM
I don't think you'll get many to admit they shoot static paper targets. It's not cool or whatever is perceived to be negative about it. I do. I think there's a time and place for everything. You always hear how bulls eye training/shooting is boring. I think people should remember that's where, I assume, most people start out at and progress on to "combat" training. My perception is paper punching is where the fundamentals are taught, layering a solid base knowledge if you will. I want to know more and plan on becoming a better paper puncher. Isn't there something to being an incredibly accurate shot? Like I said, I don't know this stuff. I'm new. I hope you'all continue to share your knowledge with me.

Aimed Fire is not just for static paper targets and bullseye shooting, and most certainly used in combat.

In a nutshell. Point Shooting for up close and personal work, i.e., when you don’t have the time or ability to use sights. Beyond that, when you need to...AIMED FIRE.

ETA: Good post Yankee.:)

north-fl-trader
September 22nd, 2013, 09:06 PM
Aimed Fire is not just for static paper targets and bullseye shooting, and most certainly used in combat.

But by its nature, aimed fire cannot be rushed beyond the limitations of the shooter and equipment. Training and practice can reduce the time, but not eliminate it.

I think you are searching for something that is not an absolute.

You are not asking us how do you spell dog, you are asking why the hell we call it a DOG!

YankeeFingergasm
September 22nd, 2013, 09:44 PM
Despite me telling you to EFF off a while ago Arc I'll admit that was a quality post.

TheJewban
September 22nd, 2013, 09:50 PM
I was not ever going to post here. Don't expect much more.

Sight Alignment, A simple Exercise.
Instructions are for Right handed people, reverse hands for left handed.

Extend left arm out full length to left side, thumb vertical. This represents the Front sight.

Hold right fist half way between shoulder and elbow index and second knuckles up and level. This represents rear sight.

When the top of the thumb appears to be level with the top of the knuckles, and evenly splits the space between the knuckles, then your sight is aligned.

Raise or lower, rotate left and right so that the front sight (thumb) is sitting on the point of intended impact, keeping the front sight relationship to the rear sight (knuckles)

To find the 'fuzzy' vision, align on a point fairly close, focus on that point.
You should be able to see your thumb quite clearly, your knuckles will appear a little fuzzy. Now focus on a point at a long distance, say 100 yards.
Now your thumb is fuzzy and knuckles are more fuzzy (fuzzier?)

Depending on where you and your firearm shoots compared to point of aim (how you zeroed), you either:
Put the top of the front sight so that the target (bullseye) looks to be resting on top of the sight.
Put the top of the front sight at the visible center of the target.

Combat shooting is only effective as far as the person has been training, the firearm(s) that he or she is used to and with what kinds of ammo.
People have limits.
One person with a handgun may be able to hit 6 inch targets out to 100 yards justt because their gun is an extension of their body.
Most people can't hit a 24 inch circle at 15 yards without aiming because they are not familiar with their gun.

Pistols have advantages and disadvantages over a rifle. Up to some point. at full extension, the front and rear sights focus almost equally when focused on a target. But the distance between the front and rear sights is relatively short, making accuracy reduce.

Is that your final answer?:)

Ceddie
September 22nd, 2013, 10:14 PM
OK quick and dirty answer:
I look at my target, both eyes open. then I bring the pistol in to my line of sight and obscure the target with the front site post.

It works for me but it prolly isn't CORRECT.

EDIT to add:
The key to follow up is follow through.
squeeze the trigger on the 1st shot. KEEP THE TRIGGER SQUOZE!
(damn it it is a word)
manage your recoil and bring the pistol back into proper alignment, THEN release to reset and repeat until the threat is no more.

TheJewban
September 22nd, 2013, 11:45 PM
When you present the firearm, have the front sight higher than the rear sight., bring the front sight to your line of sight to the target

http://bestanimations.com/Holidays/Fireworks/Fireworks-01-june.gif W I N N E R http://bestanimations.com/Holidays/Fireworks/Fireworks-02-june.gif

CONGRATULATIONS ARCWELDER

Congratulations my man.http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-bounce013.gif

Since I've seen no instruction or nomenclature attached to this technique (unless someone shows otherwise) I'm terming it:

Don't hunt the fox; dock in the notch

Like Arc said, "when you present the firearm, have the front sight higher than the rear sight". That way you see both the front and rear sight. Then, lower the muzzle and simply dock the front sight post right into the rear sight notch. Any other way and you wind up hunting (however minor) for that front sight. Think about it, if your front sight is low, left, or right as you present for sight alignment, then your eye is only looking at the rear sight. Then you go through that silly expedition of fishing for the front sight. Try it, practice it, and you'll find that it automatically snaps right in place over time.

Airgator, I will send funds. Please register Arc in any of the Basic or Advanced AR15 class of his choice . Thank you.

One again Arc, congratulations.:)

Rumbler
September 23rd, 2013, 09:13 AM
Congratulations, Arc !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

By the way, there is a real live actual name for that technique; "high Sabrina".

It was popularized in 1976 by Kate Jackson at the behest of Aaron Spelling. :)

Greg Kulbick
September 23rd, 2013, 02:52 PM
So you're looking for better than minute of man? That takes too much time.

TheJewban
September 23rd, 2013, 03:14 PM

In a nutshell. Point Shooting for up close and personal work, i.e., when you don’t have the time or ability to use sights. Beyond that, when you need to...AIMED FIRE.

Really... Please enlighten me to your certainty of this

This thread is about Quick Sight Alignment that I turned into a quiz. Although Point Shooting and Flash Sight Picture kept rearing it’s head, I always tried to stay on topic - to maintain the Quick Sight Alignment theme in this thread.

My goal was to get fellow members involved, make it fun, pass on what I thought was a useful suggestion, and award the winner some free gun training.

I’m sorry if I failed on all or one of those points, but I still want to stay on topic and maintain the Quick Sight Alignment theme here.

Jlfar, I’ve got no problem enlightening you of my certainty that Aimed Fire is unquestionably used in combat, but please let me make the following suggestion.

I think the Tips & Tricks forum is most useful to members/lurkers/unregistered users when each thread has it own theme and the Thread Title bears a relation to it. I did a horrible job with mine, i.e., "Tip/Trick Quiz of the Day - Prize Included". This said nothing to the user seeking a tip on Sight Alignment. I’m trying to get it changed to "Sight Alignment Quiz - Prize Included".

No doubt you asked an interesting question that has epic thread potential but on an entirely different sighting/fighting method/discipline. To keep from getting things muddled by replying to this thread on a different topic, may I suggest you start a new thread, maybe “Point Shooting vs. Aimed Fire” or whatever, and pose the same question to me there.

That way we’re building a Tips & Tricks library of thread titles that clearly define the topic for the user seeking info on that particular subject. It also respects the OP's that start threads by reducing the potential for hijacked threads.

Or, if you think that’s a cockamamie idea I can just respond here. Let me know. Thanks.

BTW, as moderator, can you change my thread title to "Sight Alignment Quiz - Prize Included"?

TheJewban
September 23rd, 2013, 03:29 PM
So you're looking for better than minute of man? That takes too much time.

Correct Greg. I stated exactly what you said.You were more brief though.:D

In a nutshell. Point Shooting for up close and personal work, i.e., when you don’t have the time or ability to use sights. Beyond that, when you need to [have the time and ability]...AIMED FIRE.

TheJewban
September 23rd, 2013, 09:29 PM
Ahhh, okay...gee, um, err...you're...ah...welcome?http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-confused001.gif

Rumbler
September 23rd, 2013, 09:30 PM
I've got your six.

Lawrence, thread title changed as requested. :p

I've respected your wishes and the new thread on this derailed discussion can be found here;

http://forum.capitalcitygunforum.com/showthread.php?2303-Point-Shooting-vs-Aimed-Fire&p=23985#post23985

As far as changing the name of this thread, I am not a full moderator and won't be able to do that in this section.

TheJewban
September 23rd, 2013, 09:32 PM
Thank you molary. :)