PDA

View Full Version : RCBS little dandy or other small-charge measures

BWest
May 10th, 2021, 10:51 AM
I've been looking into an RCBS little-dandy for dispensing very small powder charges consistently, for small pistol cartridges. I don't totally trust my uniflow, and if I have to weigh every single charge anyway, it seems to defeat the purpose of using the measure at all.

The little dandy has fixed interchangeable rotors that each correspond to a specific amount for a given powder. Like an advanced (and more expensive) version of the Lee Dippers.

does anyone have any experience with he little-dandy or other measure/dispensers that are consistent with very small charges of 1-3 grains?

FLT
May 10th, 2021, 11:42 AM
Yes, after I develop a load it’s what I use . If there isn’t a rotor for the exact charge I want then I customize one by drilling it out till I get exactly what I want. If you go this route be sure to check the weight when you change powder lots , as there can be some variations from lot to lot.

WinterSoldier
May 10th, 2021, 11:26 PM
An old Belding & Mull can be set for any amount. I've used one for years... but then I also mostly go ahead and weigh it too. Wonder why my hand loads are always more accurate than commercial loads...?

WinterSoldier
May 10th, 2021, 11:36 PM
Interesting... There used to always be a handful of old Belding & Mull Visible Powder Measures on eBay but there's nary a one today. I found ONE on gunbroker, and it seemed a bit pricey to me: https://www.gunbroker.com/item/900019992 I have maybe 8 or 10 or 12 "extra" ones in the back of a closet, but have no inclination to sell any. The attachment method is atrocious. They want to spin around instead of cycling... but a couple of strategically placed small plywood strips fastened to the mounting surface will stop that.

AB
May 11th, 2021, 05:43 AM
I never bought it, but I had this bookmarked for a long time before I decided to pass.

http://harrellsprec.com/index.php/products/schuetzen-pistol-measure

BWest
May 11th, 2021, 07:47 AM
Interesting, I knew there were others out there. I'm not sure I'm willing to drop more than 100-150 or so just so I can load .32 auto more efficiently but I will keep both in mind.

Mad Man
May 11th, 2021, 09:46 AM
I’ve had really good luck with the Lee auto disk powder measure. It’s cheap but it’s consistent. I haven’t tried any charges under 3 grains though so I can’t say anything about 1-2 grain charges. The only down side is you have to use the powder through expanding die and it has to be used on the press.

BWest
May 11th, 2021, 09:48 AM
I’ve had really good luck with the Lee auto disk powder measure. It’s cheap but it’s consistent. I haven’t tried any charges under 3 grains though so I can’t say anything about 1-2 grain charges. The only down side is you have to use the powder through expanding die and it has to be used on the press.

yeah I have also heard you can configure the auto disk to get some consistently small repeatable measures. I think there is even several sources of custom parts like non-standard disks to basically get it to drop any charge.

Mad Man
May 11th, 2021, 09:56 AM
You can also use a drill bit to make custom holes in the disk for specific charges.

AB
May 11th, 2021, 10:04 AM
Interesting, I knew there were others out there. I'm not sure I'm willing to drop more than 100-150 or so just so I can load .32 auto more efficiently but I will keep both in mind.

Precision is its own reward...

mapper
May 11th, 2021, 10:54 AM
then there is this..i had 2 of them and a extra set of disks that i let my buddy borrow..
as far as adjustability in the disks, ive seen where some people put a screw in them to reduce volume a little, or enlarge a bit as well.

mapper
May 11th, 2021, 10:55 AM
i think i have somr brass rotors for a measure somewhere. now what it was i dont know, but i know i didnt have the measure.. got stuffs in a package deal..

glad it came up, he got a kit with a measure in it so he may not be needing all that extra stuffs..
pro auto disk 2 adjustable charge bars, double disk kit, etc..perfect powder measure..etc..
or he may use 1 for pistol, then double disk kit the other for rifle..i dont know.

i think i saw somewhere where someone played a bit with the double setup on large charges, and there was a diffrence whether the large was on the bottom or the small, it seems you would want to minimize the step or overlap between the 2 disks..

i never got that far.. the rcbs chargemaster, lee rifle charge die, and a powder funnel appeared on the bench first..