PDA

View Full Version : Depriming live primers

Clays
March 12th, 2021, 12:26 PM
My neck tension was off, and had already primed a batch, so had to remove the primers. Tried it the other day with the Harvey deprimer. It’s worth the 60 bucks.

Put deprimer on the ground under a large rug to cover it. Push down with your feet on the rug and 40 rounds later, deprimed with no issue.

BWest
March 12th, 2021, 12:30 PM
I'm not really sure why people freak out about de-priming brass with live primers, you'd have to try to make them detonate and even still I think they would have to be inserted upside down for it to happen. I've de-primed quite a few from rounds I had to break down, just wear eye protection, which you should probably do while playing with reloading supplies anyway.

Clays
March 12th, 2021, 12:44 PM
Plenty of stories online about people’s 3rd cousin’s great uncle’s friends losing fingers to depriming. Mostly BS I’m sure but figure better safe than sorry.

Dale Gribble
March 12th, 2021, 01:03 PM
I've deprimed in my progressive with live primers, not a big deal.

FLT
March 12th, 2021, 01:14 PM
I’ve deprimed more than I’d care to admit, no problem as of yet.

Dale Gribble
March 12th, 2021, 01:29 PM
With as badly as I have crushed some realizing only too late that I didn't get the NATO crimp out, its amazing I have not had one pop. I'm sure that will result in an underpant changing moment.