PDA

View Full Version : staining plastic magazines

Mikec2003
August 10th, 2013, 07:24 PM
so I ordered some CMMG magazines for a .22LR AR platform and while they function great, they are battleship grey. Now, there is nothing wrong with battleship grey as a color, just not on a black rifle. So after seeing how people were using Rit Dye on wood furniture, I figured I'd give it a shot on plastic.

Disassembled the magazines, since I didn't want to dye the follower, and soaked them in black RIT, and after an hour they came out as if they were molded in black plastic, they look factory. I can't recommend this more if you are looking to change a magazine's color (assuming your mag is of a light color)

Procedure I used is:

1. Disassemble and clean mag bodies with soap and water, and rinse thoroughly.

2. Add 8 OZ bottle of dye to about 6 quarts of water and stir (don't use a pot that you use for cooking, I got a cheap stainless steel pot at walmart for 5 bucks)

3. Heat the dye and water mixture to really hot (150-180) heat will slightly expand the plastic, allowing the dye to really penetrate (heh, penetrate)

4. Add the parts to be dyed, shut off the stove, and let it be for about an hour, and stir it up every 15 minutes or so.

5. Remove parts from pot, rinse and let dry.

6. Reassemble and enjoy.

Equipment required:

sacrificial pot. I got one from walmart for 5 bucks (not sure if it's safe to eat out of it after having dye in it like that
RIT liquid dye. Costs about 3 dollars for the 8 Oz bottle
Stove or other heat source
Tongs to fish out the parts. (it will stain your skin if you reach into the pot)

YankeeFingergasm
August 10th, 2013, 07:26 PM
Pic or didn't happen

Mikec2003
August 10th, 2013, 07:37 PM
http://i44.tinypic.com/348isd1.jpg

ok, upon closer inspection and in different light, I may have used too much water, a few tiny spots seem a bit dark blue. but all in all, it's way better than battleship grey

for reference. this is what they started as http://i40.tinypic.com/5cf8m1.jpg

YankeeFingergasm
August 10th, 2013, 08:42 PM
Well done sir. Looks pretty good. You could probably get some of the aluminum black stuff and touch up paint it

BlueBronco
August 24th, 2013, 09:00 PM
I have to say those cmmg mags roc. I have thought about the color as well, but then I have several AR Stoner mags that are gray.

Mikec2003
August 24th, 2013, 09:02 PM
they work great, I just didnt like the color

BlueBronco
August 24th, 2013, 09:16 PM
they work great, I just didnt like the color

How does the die handle scratches?

Mikec2003
August 24th, 2013, 09:27 PM
so far, its as if they were molded in black plastic. the dye goes in deep

Jmoorewar
February 3rd, 2014, 03:37 PM
They had a how to do article on this in one of my recoil magazines.

thedishdoc
February 3rd, 2014, 08:28 PM
Are those for a 15-22? If so I need some and would want them black as well.

Mikec2003
February 3rd, 2014, 09:14 PM
Not sure if they work in the 15-22. I use it in an ar with a cmmg style bolt carrier

thedishdoc
February 3rd, 2014, 09:56 PM
Thanks

BlueBronco
February 4th, 2014, 12:45 AM
Are those for a 15-22? If so I need some and would want them black as well.

Technically, they are for a dedicated CMMG upper or a conversion. However, they should work in the 15-22. I have a dedicated CMMG upper that I use on a "regular" M&P 15 lower. These mags work very well. Of course the 15-22 has the polymer receivers but I think the dimensions are the same.