PDA

View Full Version : Forum Upgrade to vBulletin

jonastio
August 8th, 2013, 01:59 PM
So, my intention is to upgrade to vBulletin 5. It's got a pretty clean interface and it seems simple enough to modify without a lot of crazy overhead.

RIGHT NOW: make SURE you're using a valid e-mail address with your account. Once we cut over, you will have to reset your account password, and the only way to do that is through your e-mail account.

The crappy part about the upgrade is that there's no easy or clean way to cut it over. I'll pretty much have to shut the forum down for a couple of hours as I make the attempt. I won't be able to pre-configure the board or anything because their upgrade system kind of sucks. That means no chat or any of the fancy features (chat, heh) that I've added until I'm able to figure it out. I'm trying a couple of test runs to make sure it's POSSIBLE to do. I pretty much have to convert the content to vBulletin 4, and then upgrade to vBulletin 5. Frustrating.

I'm gonna keep this topic locked, so you guys can get clean updates as things progress. If you guys wanna discuss the upgrade, start up a topic in the General subforum and I'll link to it from here.

jonastio
August 8th, 2013, 03:37 PM
DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMIIIIIIII IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!

Okay, doing a basic install, the stupid software only requires that MySQL 5.0 or greater is installed. The upgrade requires 5.1.5 or greater. The hosting site is running 5.0.96.

This is me frustrated.

jonastio
August 8th, 2013, 04:24 PM
And now looking at it, GoDaddy officially does not support vBulletin 5.

Fuckheads.

jonastio
August 8th, 2013, 05:40 PM
OKAY! New tactic! Moving to vBulletin 4 will be a bit easier and I should be able to get some configuration done before the move.

I'll have the site up at http://forum.capitalcitygunforum.com

I know the double forum in there is a bit redundant, but it makes the separation of things within the system a bit easier.

jonastio
August 9th, 2013, 10:26 AM
If you're wondering "What the hell happened to all the subforums?" I kinda screwed up the permissions while prepping for the move. Sorry!

Thanks to Jlfar for the heads up.

jonastio
August 9th, 2013, 09:51 PM
Things are moving along well. I'm thinking maybe Friday night of next week for the move?

jonastio
August 16th, 2013, 10:53 PM
If you guys wake up tomorrow and pop onto the forum and everything looks wacky different, yeah. That was planned.

jonastio
August 17th, 2013, 03:02 AM
Welp, as it's been about 3 hours that I've been mucking about with this and I've got a metric shitton of yard work to do tomorrow, I'm calling it quits for the night. I'll work on locking down the crab shack this evening.