PDA

View Full Version : HUGE Talon Training Group Announcement !!!

Rumbler
May 22nd, 2012, 08:51 AM
JD, John and I (Charlie) are proud to announce that the Talon Range will open this Fall. We are aiming for a Grand Opening in November. We will have a "soft opening" for Charter Members sooner than that, but, all the facilities will not be running. (i.e. permanent bathrooms and electricity). The soft opening may be as early as August.

We will be pre-selling Charter Member packets very soon. We want to clear another hurdle or two and get these put together properly before we do. This will be within a month. We will start counting membership dues on the date of the Grand opening, not the soft opening. We are cautious in doing charter members as we don't want people waiting to long. These people will get special discounts and identifying stickers, membership cards and such. We won't list names publicly. We will offer Corporate, Gold Level and Silver Level Memberships in addition to Pay-By-The-Day. We will announce a fee schedule soon here and on our website. The website does not reflect the range yet. Give us time. You can sign up for updates on the website if you like. I publish a newsletter. Or just listen out here.

We are planning on having several different membership packages, including semester plans for students. I'm not ready to give specifics but somewhere in the neighborhood of $300-$350 a year for the Gold level. There will also obviously be target charges on the clays for the shotgun stuff. We are trying to really hard to keep the prices affordable.

We are moving forward quickly, but, there are a few hurdles yet. We have been working on a location since we started training civilians 4 years ago. We have it now. Nobody lives nearby, the property is commercial and the location is right at an I-10 Exit. See below for more details.

The Talon Range will include in Phase I: One 200 yard rifle range with steel targets. One four sided range with a Hogan's Alley feel. Five three sided ranges to allow Talon to host USPSA, Three Gun and other competitions. Ten individual, 20+ yard brick walled ranges to accomodate parties of 4-5 shooters. These will be walled back behind the shooting line to provide a secure shooting environment and allow members to walk downrange at will. Each of these ranges will have a shed, some will have covers large enough to provide shelter during inclement weather. (A bane to outdoor firearms instructors) We will have a static and a walking archery range. We will have a ten station, 100 round sporting clays walk. (Golf Cart rental for the less active.) We will have at least one Skeet/Trap course in Phase I with several more in Phase II. Phase I will also include two 850+ square feet classrooms with Powerpoint Projectors to accomodate instructors. (We will rent the facilites to other instructors and firms.) We will have a pro-shop on site selling ammunition, holsters, targets, hearing/eye protection and other accessories. We will not underprice other shops in the area, we will not sell guns. We WON'T compete on that level with the guns shops. Keep your favorite guns shop, but, shoot with us.

Phase II will include a 500 yard range, an additional sporting clays course and additional ranges to build out a venue for larger State Level events.

Again, we are doing this because from when we started teaching years ago up till now, people each month have asked us. It has been suggested many time that we do this.... Well, here it is. We will be run and supervised by LEO's and retired LEO's, (and some part time help). This will be a safe place to go that is right on the main drag. We will foster a tactical training atmosphere and allow people to move around and shoot...safely. We will start to host events on a regular basis and plan to spend a lot of time out there ourselves. We will be training at Pat Thomas in the meantime.

We will be inviting all other instructors to come rent the facilities if they so desire.

Midway is close to most folks in Leon County. I live in Chaires and Pat Thomas is 30 minutes. This facility will be 6 miles closer. Look for things to start moving. You will see visible results in the next two months.

We will not require you to purchase our ammo, but, will let you. The Pro-Shop will feature mainly tactical or competition gear. We will have professional LEO instructors on staff as coaches for a fee. (think golf or tennis pro)

Talon Training will operate the range and will schedule all events, host all competitions and sell all memberships. We will offer pay by the day shooting for individuals who watch safety videos, take a test and sign a waiver.

We will begin, quickly to host shooting competitions, but, will not schedule similar events on the same weekends as the other local ranges. We want to supplement the others, not replace them.

John Rassmussen will be the Director of Competitive Shooting Sports and, as such, will coordinate all competitions.

JD, John or I will be able to answer any question you might have. Many things are in the air right now and is a work in progress. We have made MANY new friends during this process. I want to thank one in particular. Highlander from this forum, works at Genesis Group and offered his help at a low light shoot we hosted. We would not be here without his help. Thanks Shane, we still have a lot to do. Now, does anyone have a quarter million cubic yards of dirt we can have?

HERE is a link to a nice large image of Phase 1. (http://www.canopy.net/talon/ttg_phase1_lg.jpg)
HERE is a link to a nice large image of Phase 2. (http://www.canopy.net/talon/ttg_phase2_lg.jpg)