PDA

View Full Version : Broke my 650

AB
March 31st, 2019, 07:45 AM

Broken 650 handle piece! Waiting on replacement part now.

BWest
March 31st, 2019, 09:01 AM
Wow how did you do that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AB
March 31st, 2019, 09:26 AM
Just broke off while I was reloading. Metal fatigue, or something, I guess! That looks like an area that might get some pressure, though.

Johnny
March 31st, 2019, 07:08 PM
wree you resizing communist brass for the 9mm? Haave an RCBS rock chucker that is 50yrs old.Dillon will replace that.

Cattle/Horses
March 31st, 2019, 07:42 PM
AB, That looks like it's cast. I'm surprised Dillion uses cast parts that get high stress and not milling them from solid bar and the hardening them. Save the pieces and they can be brazed/welded back together.

AB
March 31st, 2019, 09:29 PM
I was really surprised it looked cast as well. I use an offset roller handle which I’m sure increases the lateral force, but that’s about the last part I would expect to break. I know I have a lot of rounds on that machine, but as good as Dillon is, I did expect more.

The vast majority of ammo is .40, which is my flavor of choice for my sport, but it’s had a fair number of 9mm as well. Throw in the few 10,000 .38’s, .45 Colt, .45 ACP, and .44 Mag/Spcls, and the number of rounds on that 650 is pretty high.

Johnny
April 1st, 2019, 03:34 PM
AB call Dillon they will replace it

JMW4570
April 1st, 2019, 04:21 PM
Or it could be....

I was really surprised it looked cast as well. I use an offset roller handle which I’m sure increases the lateral force, but that’s about the last part I would expect to break. I know I have a lot of rounds on that machine, but as good as Dillon is, I did expect more.

The vast majority of ammo is .40, which is my flavor of choice for my sport, but it’s had a fair number of 9mm as well. Throw in the few 10,000 .38’s, .45 Colt, .45 ACP, and .44 Mag/Spcls, and the number of rounds on that 650 is pretty high.

Johnny
April 1st, 2019, 05:12 PM
Hey C/H is that from eating to many krispy kreme donuts

Dale Gribble
April 1st, 2019, 05:17 PM
I'm glad dillion has a good rep for fixing stuff, because for the cost of that machine it would tick me off.

AB
April 2nd, 2019, 07:39 AM
I called them late in the day so they got it in the mail the next morning. Normally I'd have the luxury of a few days off to shoot other stuff that I don't reload for or just have a stock of ammo for, but I have a major match in two weeks and I was planning on getting about 2500 rounds of practice in before then. I can't bitch about the part breaking too much, I've had that machine in hard use for almost 20 years now.

Luckily, I was able to borrow another 650 so I'm back on track. The only down side (if any) is the 650 they loaned me had just come back from being loaned to someone else, and holy crap was it in bad shape! Took about three and a half hours of cleaning and three trips to my spare parts stash to get it running right. Besides being filthy and broken <insert girlfriend joke here> some of the parts were assembled incorrectly. Of course, Dillon has awesome customer service so I made a list of the parts I used and with one phone call replacements are on the way, and my buddies will get a clean and functioning machine back when I return it in a week or so!

SATAN
April 2nd, 2019, 03:07 PM
I need you to come borrow some of my broke shit.

AB
April 2nd, 2019, 05:52 PM
I need you to come borrow some of my broke shit.

Yeah, I actually have to watch that! I'm too compulsive about it to have dirty, much less broken, firearms around. When I'm cleaning in a group setting I have to keep myself busy because I will end up cleaning other people's stuff as well.