PDA

View Full Version : Ladder test

12bhunting
October 13th, 2018, 12:28 PM
Twice in the last week on 2 different forums I have seen ladder test posted and both times they are only shooting one bullet for each charge weight. Everything err I ask what is learned by doing a ladder with only one bullet shot for each variation the thread seems to stop with no replies. So I'll ask here. What can be learned by only shooting one time for each one? I've always shot 5 bullets for each weight and went from there. I just don't see what knowledge can be gained by only shooting once.

Bodo
October 13th, 2018, 01:45 PM
You're spot on. A statistical analysis with a sample size of one is meaningless.

12bhunting
October 13th, 2018, 02:19 PM
You're spot on. A statistical analysis with a sample size of one is meaningless.

Kinda what I figured. Looking through the posts with comments on seeing a node between different throws, I was lost. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing some kinda secret science and shit...

Evil_McNasty
October 13th, 2018, 08:09 PM
Are they using a Lead Sled or some shit that makes them feel like a single round is enough data? I’d think 3 rounds are at least a minimum.

FLT
October 13th, 2018, 09:32 PM
Most likely those are the same guys that shoot a quarter size group at a thousand yards consistently.

12bhunting
October 13th, 2018, 09:34 PM
Yeah kinda figured. In a way I was hoping to learn something.....

mattb
October 13th, 2018, 10:11 PM
One round tests are about as close to retarded as any shit I’ve ever heard of.

0utlaw
October 13th, 2018, 11:18 PM
Most likely those are the same guys that shoot a quarter size group at a thousand yards consistently.

Yeah anybody can do that...on the internet

WinterSoldier
October 30th, 2018, 09:26 PM
My answer is a little different, since I pretty much consider any round that goes down range as opposed to somewhere else, to be "accurate".

When I test loads its more to establish a ballpark for pressure/recoil/velocity... none of which I actually measure any way except subjectively, anyway. One carefully measured and loaded round at each amount of powder is all I need on first blush. If I go on to a second level of more refined testing, then I switch to a larger number of rounds with each specific load. But, when I'm doing this, I'm in or near uncharted territory. In the manner that you are referencing, if I were attempting to attain long range accuracy, I would be loading lots of rounds. I mean, isn't it the journey as much if not more than the destination?