PDA

View Full Version : How Hot/Not Hot are these loads.

noleveyor
July 21st, 2013, 04:16 PM
I traded for a S/W revolver today that came with these reloads. Is this a mild load for 357? I have NO reloading experience so any advice would be appreciated.

GTOguy06
July 21st, 2013, 09:06 PM
Base off of http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp I would say that is a mild 357. The powder range for hp38 in a 158gr is 6.2 to 6.9.

Capt. mike
July 21st, 2013, 11:14 PM
Pretty mild, its a slow heavy load for .357 mag

noleveyor
July 21st, 2013, 11:47 PM
Base off of http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp I would say that is a mild 357. The powder range for hp38 in a 158gr is 6.2 to 6.9.

Thanks for the link and the info! It sounds like it would be a decent starter 357 round to get used to the pistol with.

K

Masharubu
July 22nd, 2013, 12:10 AM
As noted above, if these are truely loaded as marked, they are likely fairly mild. However, with all reloads if you did not make them yourself or observe the manufacture of the rounds, watch for high pressure symptoms. Examples: cracked case heads, bulging cases, popped primer caps, etc. And as always, make sure to wear the proper eye and hearing protection. Stay safe.

AB
July 22nd, 2013, 12:28 AM
Yeah, shooting someone else's home brew can be a bit dangerous! Proceed with caution!

Rumbler
July 22nd, 2013, 03:48 PM
Nothing I could add . . . except maybe to suggest that you actually pull one of the bullets, weigh it and the powder charge before you shoot them.

It is only my personal opinion but I do not view that as an unreasonable safety precaution.

I can tell you that recycling ammo containers is not all that unusual for handloaders. I've put 124gr HP "nuclear" .357 loads for my 686 in a factory 158gr .357 box before when I "knew" it would only be me shooting them.

Came as one hell of a surprise when I fed the first five to my LCR. The muzzle flash was . . . . spectacular. :-[

Johnny
July 22nd, 2013, 06:13 PM
Rumbler gave you some good advice,think you should pull one bullet an weight the charge.I have been handloading for over 50yrs you can never be to safe!

Masharubu
July 22nd, 2013, 06:35 PM
Rumbler gave you some good advice,think you should pull one bullet an weight the charge.I have been handloading for over 50yrs you can never be to safe!

I don't disagree with you or Rumbler on diagnosing one cartridge. However, that assumes they are all loaded exactly the same and cautiously. If not, you still have the same risk. Watch for signs and wear protection.

north-fl-trader
July 23rd, 2013, 02:13 AM
Nothing I could add . . . except maybe to suggest that you actually pull one of the bullets, weigh it and the powder charge before you shoot them.

It is only my personal opinion but I do not view that as an unreasonable safety precaution.

I can tell you that recycling ammo containers is not all that unusual for handloaders. I've put 124gr HP "nuclear" .357 loads for my 686 in a factory 158gr .357 box before when I "knew" it would only be me shooting them.

Came as one hell of a surprise when I fed the first five to my LCR. The muzzle flash was . . . . spectacular. :-[

Ditto here.

Those loads are about 100fps faster than my regular .38 load and those are hot, but for .357, mild.

You know what the Chinese say, Hey North Korea, you like sugar coated Mig with your missile launcher?