PDA

View Full Version : SBR/SBS length question

Rail Driver
May 16th, 2012, 03:28 PM
Is this still valid, or has the ATF made a ruling on this that I'm not aware of recently? Something mentioned by an administrator on one of the forums I frequent contradicts this, and I wanted to be sure since I couldn't find anything on the ATF site or in the U.S. Code that contradicts the quoted information below.

While a receiver alone may be classified as a “firearm” under the Gun Control Act (GCA), SBRs and SBSs are classified in totality under the National Firearms Act (NFA). A firearm that meets the definition of a SBR consists of a rifle that has a barrel less than 16 inches in length. A SBS consists of a shotgun that has a barrel less than 18 inches in length..

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/national-firearms-act-short-barreled-rifles-shotguns.html

The below quote is what makes me ask this, and is in reference to a 1911 carbine kit.

Are you sure the barrel is 16 1/4? If it is you are in possesion of a SBR which needs to be regustered with the ATF.

WinterSoldier
May 16th, 2012, 04:38 PM
I ain't no ex-purt on nuthin' 'cept what dinner tasted like, an' I keeps that ta myself... BUT, this appears to me to be a clear case of somebody utterly cornfuzed about what "less than" means.

Either that or he don't know a rifle from a shotgun.

Further affaint sayeth naught.

But, is maybe the issue that a pistol isn't a rifle?

Rail Driver
May 16th, 2012, 04:45 PM
I ain't no ex-purt on nuthin' 'cept what dinner tasted like, an' I keeps that ta myself... BUT, this appears to me to be a clear case of somebody utterly cornfuzed about what "less than" means.

Either that or he don't know a rifle from a shotgun.

Further affaint sayeth naught.

But, is maybe the issue that a pistol isn't a rifle?

The ATF has recently (a few months or more past) ruled that an individual can convert pistols into rifles, and back again legally, as long as the firearm started as a pistol. That's a non-issue (unless they changed their minds about that too). The difference though, is that it'd require an act of congress to change the rifle/shotgun length requirements - to my knowledge this hasn't happened.

WinterSoldier
May 16th, 2012, 06:31 PM
I've seen ATF waffle and duck so many times. I've seen them post something on their web site as an absolute no-no... then it disappears, and next thing I know they've been issuing letters saying the same thing is O.K.. subject to some weasel-wording. But for all I know, day after tomorrow it will be a no-no again.

... and worse.

So far as I can tell they have little integrity and no sense of shame at the lack.

marcus6176
May 21st, 2012, 11:52 PM
The best thing in dealing with the ATF about any of there rules, is to summit in writing a question and get response back with certified letter from them about there ruling on your question. Because you never know. That letter way save your butt.