PDA

View Full Version : Weapon mounted lasers...

Wizard
May 11th, 2012, 09:47 PM
Invaluable tool or false security?

From time to time my CCW students ask me if they should get a WML.

What are your thoughts?

talon2
May 13th, 2012, 07:59 PM
I kinda have mixed feelings about them. They can be a great training tool as long as they are not totally relied upon as a sighting device. If a person that doesn't understand sight picture and sight alignment can see the red dot on the target and the proper sight picture, a laser can be a good visual reference. They can also help demonstrate improper trigger pull or recoil anticipation when mixed with dummy rounds or dry firing exercises. As for tactical use, as long as the activation of the laser in intuitive and doesn't have to be manually activated they work well. They let the bad guy know exactly where he is about to get a new ventilation hole. I don't like the ones that have to be "turned on" manually with a button or switch for self defense use. Under stress the user may be distracted by the laser not working and lose the encounter because they were focused somewhere other than the threat. Last but not least I am a believer in Murphy's Law and when you need electronic devices and batteries the most is exactly when they are most likely to quit working. A true practitioner of the art of handgun self defense must know how to use the sights on the weapon. Adding a laser must be considered an enhancement to the weapon not a necessity.

Wizard
May 13th, 2012, 08:49 PM
You echoed my thoughts about lasers but with a very succinct response, Thanks a lot! ;D

talon2
May 13th, 2012, 09:04 PM
Thank You Sir.