PDA

View Full Version : IDPA in Tallahassee

AB
August 8th, 2017, 10:24 PM
So there's an IDPA club starting up at Talon which will host matches on the 4th Saturday.

From listening to the folks around here this is just what you're looking for! It's less "Game" than USPSA, requiring draws and reloads from concealment, you can't ditch a partial mag (reload with retention on the partial mag), and the use of cover is important. The guns are nowhere near as "trick" as you would see even in the supposedly "untricked" divisions of USPSA so they really are almost off-the-shelf pistols, the round counts tend to be lower than USPSA without as much running around.

I urge anyone who is too tactical to shoot USPSA to give IDPA a try. My schedule won't let me shoot the inaugural one this month, but I'm hoping to hit one soon. Never shot IDPA before, so it should be exciting!

Countryboy27012
August 8th, 2017, 10:45 PM
Going to be at talon I assume? Have any info or website? I would be interested in looking into it.

Dale Gribble
August 9th, 2017, 08:08 AM
I'd like to give it a try. Running isn't my bag.

AB
August 9th, 2017, 10:07 AM
https://www.facebook.com/capitolcityIDPA/

https://practiscore.com/capcityidpa/register

Supposed to be six stages. I won't be able to make it due to work, but hopefully the next one. If I can keep my competitive nature under control, I am going to shoot this with "fun" guns rather than something that might be competitive or to test holsters and concealment techniques.

If you're searching for it, they used the wrong version of "Capitol." It's "Capitol City IDPA," when it should be "Capital City IDPA." Capital is the city, Capitol is the building.

SOMT
August 27th, 2017, 11:34 PM
Never shot at IDPA before but go to talon quite a bit, might have to get in on this next month. Hoping there will be some three gun soon

Evil_McNasty
August 28th, 2017, 08:03 AM
I think there is a big 3-Gun match coming up in November. Like a 2 day event.

It's been years since I have done one and it would be fun to get back into any of these. Thanks AB.

Tango147
January 18th, 2019, 09:54 PM
December canceled due to flooding and low registration. January canceled due to the event coordinator being at Shot Show

Perhaps Feb.

Southern Tactical range in Holt has an IDPA group out of Gulf Breeze first Sunday. There were 50 people there last month.

Tango147
January 18th, 2019, 09:56 PM
There is a big one in March at Talon: Tri-state border disorder. It's on practiscore.com and the IDPA site.

Tango147
February 22nd, 2019, 09:52 PM
And the Capital City IDPA match in the morning is cancelled again.....three months in a row. Yes, the big one 3/23 is still going but at this point it seems local is going to mean Little River in Valdosta.....which apparently floods on a cloudy day as it too has been cancelled repeatedly by weather.

AB
February 23rd, 2019, 02:20 PM
Thanks for the research!

Tango147
March 9th, 2019, 05:44 PM
Little River in Valdosta, GA runs an IDPA when the river does not flood the ranges. That has been the case for the past few months. I made it up there this morning. Today was their "Mega Match" with 10 stages for $20 AND I was done in three hours. They had the Valdosta State University AFROTC cadets doing the target pasting and tear down.
Lee Turner, the Match Director, was very friendly and more importantly to me, very organized. Looks like since I can't count on Captial City IDPA I may be calling Valdosta the closest IDPA.
Down Zero out of Gulf Breeze also runs a solid 6 stage $20 match on the first Sunday of the month in Holt, FL - Southern Tactical Range. New range, almost all red clay and not a blade of grass anywhere, so avoid wearing white. I need not say that to most of you as only the fashion illiterate would dare to do so before Easter.

AB
March 10th, 2019, 07:53 PM
What is generally the round count per stage?

Tango147
March 13th, 2019, 04:44 PM
The round count has to be no greater than the lowest capacity shooter category with a few to spare so that typically means about 18 counted hits per stage to allow for a make up or two. As a CCP class shooter I can start with 9 and carry no more than two more magazines of 8 during a stage. So if I can't get it done with 25, it doesn't get done.

AB
March 13th, 2019, 06:32 PM
I imagine reloading mags on the clock would ruin a score!

Tango147
October 9th, 2020, 04:31 PM
IDPA UPDATE: No, I am still not committed to taking over the Capital City IDPA club but I have a sponsor for the Range Officer program with IDPA so I will be able to run a match once that is done. I had to be a member for a year before I could start the process.

This weekend Little River Sportsman Association has a unique MEGA match with the opportunity to shoot the same stage twice to figure out your best method. More of a logistics exercise comparing flat footed reloads to mag exchanges and left to right verses right to left. Still just $20 and there is a short classifier if you need it and you can register twice and shoot two different firearms if you want. Practiscore has the link under LRSA.

The opportunity here is that the stages are very short so the movement is limited and the round count a bit lower. If you have been tinkering with the idea, tomorrow is a decent day to kick it off. Yes, there is a rain out potential.