PDA

View Full Version : reloading components available locally?

BWest
July 15th, 2017, 11:23 PM
Been reloading for a few months now, but have only bought powder from academy (which only carries Hodgon), Besides Academy and DSH, where else locally is powder available? I can't justify reloading if I have to pay the hazardous material handling fees when ordering from online.

mapper
July 15th, 2017, 11:33 PM
Dsh,kevins,academy,guns and gold,tallahassee indoor range, are the only local places, I have seen some shooters world powder at no shoe as well.
Natchez has $20 hazmat fees, but really, as much as you don't really want to hear it, powder valley is the best place, BUT you need to buy enough to offset the hazmat fees.

Of the above listed local places, they are about in order from most supplies to least.
Otherwise, gun shows when they come to town, ga arms and north ga reloading.

Local projectiles are dsh, kevins and academy, and I have seen some pistol bullets at tall indoor at times,otherwise, it is the brown truck, he knows where everyone lives.

mapper
July 16th, 2017, 12:00 AM
Did you see this in the buy/sell/trade section?
https://forum.capitalcitygunforum.com/threads/14410-Reloading-garage-sale

Johnny
July 16th, 2017, 11:54 AM
Talon has some of the new stuff imported,good buy .Check it out mapper

BWest
July 16th, 2017, 11:59 AM
Thanks mapper!

mapper
July 16th, 2017, 12:21 PM
Thanks for the info johnny, have you used any powderwise for pistol 9/38/45?
I still have some bullseye that was around before man set foot on the moon.
It still works fine other than being dirty and a little smoky.
Still a better powder than fertilizer though.
3.8 gr pushes a 200 gr 45 acp at 725 fps, and the powder was free to me.

FLT
July 16th, 2017, 12:52 PM
Bullseye last for ever I'm still using some I got more than 40 years ago. The fps is still the same as it was at the beginning .

mapper
July 16th, 2017, 02:06 PM
I have no doubt in that FLT, dad had some hercules bullseye, and a pair of phelps semi progressive presses (clone of a star press)
For 45 he was casting 200 swc's, the press had a fixed powder measure marked 3.8 BE. So I loaded up 5 of each 200 gr cast with 3.8 of hercules bullseye and 3.8 alliant bullseye, the older stuff was more consistient than the newer and had less deviation. It seemed a little faster as well, the volume between old and new was diffrent though, so the comparison was with weighed charges.

I'm loading 3.2 gr with a 158 swc in 38, and 4.0 gr with a 124 gr cast in 9 mm, and 4.0 gr with a 200 gr cast in 45 acp.
It has a long shelf life, that's certain.

If I had to buy powder, id probally choose something that burned a little cleaner, but I'm using this untill I run out, and I was DAMN glad to have it when you could not find pistol powder.

Johnny
July 16th, 2017, 03:07 PM
yep I still have some old stuff left also,some I bought in the 60's. I have not tried any of that powder yet.I will when I finish off the powder I have in the hopper.

mapper
July 30th, 2017, 11:02 PM
I saw the shooters world branded powders by lovex (chechloskavia) at talon today, $23 to $25 lb if I remember, they also had some primers there as well.

Anyone know if DSH carries vitavouri powders?
Or is that a powder valley thing pretty much?
I know it is higher priced than the other powders per lb.
$25/lb in a 8 lb keg + ship and hazmat fees..

12bhunting
July 30th, 2017, 11:35 PM
I saw the shooters world branded powders by lovex (chechloskavia) at talon today, $23 to $25 lb if I remember, they also had some primers there as well.

Anyone know if DSH carries vitavouri powders?
Or is that a powder valley thing pretty much?
I know it is higher priced than the other powders per lb.
$25/lb in a 8 lb keg + ship and hazmat fees..
Dsh has a couple Vito in stock. Seen some at Kevin's on the bottom shelf. Afraid I don't remember which ones but I know there was no N160 or 165.

12bhunting
July 30th, 2017, 11:41 PM
I'm looking for some IMR 4350 if someone finds it in stock somewhere..

mapper
July 31st, 2017, 02:57 PM
#8 of imr 4350 is $168.50 at powder valley.
+ hazmat and shipping of course.

When I ordered before from them it was like $20 shipping and $28 hazmat fee.
So you have to have a big enough order to make it worthwhile or get several folks together and make a buy,
Pre paid orders would be the best way.

FLT
July 31st, 2017, 03:10 PM
#8 of imr 4350 is $168.50 at powder valley.
+ hazmat and shipping of course.

When I ordered before from them it was like $20 shipping and $28 hazmat fee.
So you have to have a big enough order to make it worthwhile or get several folks together and make a buy,
Pre paid orders would be the best way. agreed get payment up front , that's the way gatorvet did the magazines and he didn't have any trouble getting folks to pick up their magazines.

mapper
July 31st, 2017, 03:22 PM
If someone wants to set it up, id be in for a prepay deal. Then split shipping/hazmat fees between however many folks went in on it. Or whatever would be the fairest way.

It wouldn't take that many interested to make it do-able.

BWest
August 3rd, 2017, 04:10 PM
I would be in for that as well, were would we be ordering from?

mapper
August 4th, 2017, 06:31 PM
If we could get 4-5 interested folks, to go in on a prepaid order, it would not be bad,
The wallet is a limiting factor in this though. The order would have to be large enough to make sense though, otherwise just pick it up locally if availible, in smaller amounts.

Powder valley has some of the best prices.

AB
August 4th, 2017, 08:13 PM
I could use a few more primers. I think I'm good on powder for a while. Sign me up as a participant if we decide to do this.

Johnny
August 11th, 2017, 03:13 PM
Mapper I have some .45 acp s that I loaded with the powder from Talon,as soon as I get time I will run down to the range and see how it performs compared to some of the regular available powder such auto comp,cfe pistol ect,it is suppose to be clean burning will advise as soon as I get down to the range.It is very fine spherical powder.

Johnny
August 12th, 2017, 02:45 PM
Expect to go shoot those loads sun am.Will advise as of quality of loads tomorrow.should be interesting.

Cattle/Horses
August 12th, 2017, 03:33 PM
Get out there early and get done Johnny, before it gets to hot.

Johnny
August 12th, 2017, 05:34 PM
yep I will C/H damn heat is awful right now.

Johnny
August 13th, 2017, 11:37 AM
Ok I got out before it got to hot this morning and shot the reloads using the clean shot powder from Talon.I was very happy with the results.2in 5 shot group off hand at 15yrds that is about as well as my old hands and eyes will do any more.powder was very clean burning and seemed to give consistence burning .Load was 200grn swc from extreme bullets,powder was 4.8 grns.Max load is 5.3 grns.very well pleased

Johnny
August 16th, 2017, 05:55 PM
broke the 1911 down after shooting 5 0 rounds thru it with that clean shot powder,less fowling than with the cfe pistol powder.was impressed with it will try more loads with it.

polebarn
August 16th, 2017, 05:59 PM
I get no fouling after 0 rounds.:)

Johnny
August 16th, 2017, 07:13 PM
sorry about that,screwed that up

polebarn
August 16th, 2017, 07:16 PM
Just joshing with you Johnny.:D

Johnny
August 16th, 2017, 08:32 PM
Hy man I screwed up none necessary.

mattb
August 16th, 2017, 09:14 PM
I like bullseye - as said here before, the waste stream goes out the muzzle along with the projectile.

Johnny
August 17th, 2017, 10:53 AM
Mapper I still have some bullseye I bought in the 1960s .It is still dirty as hell but works.&00x is another dirty powder.

Johnny
August 20th, 2017, 10:40 AM
went to the range this morning.Used the loads again with that clean shot powderwas very impressed with it,will switch all of my bowling pin loads over to it.