PDA

View Full Version : Is Century gearing up?

crackerjack
April 26th, 2017, 05:50 PM
Based on these two employment ads, looks like Century wants to pump out new product. Could be good for us. Anybody need a job?

http://jobs.nssf.org/jobs/8998986/marketing-manager

http://jobs.nssf.org/jobs/8999177/design-engineer (http://jobs.nssf.org/jobs/8998986/marketing-manager)

Jafar
April 27th, 2017, 10:27 AM
They need all the help they can get

0utlaw
April 27th, 2017, 10:33 AM
If we can flood the market with AK's like the AR market has done I'll be a very happy (and well armed) man.

crackerjack
April 27th, 2017, 11:27 AM
I think Century has many issues. But at the same time, as has been observed, we would have a whole lot LESS choice in guns if they stopped doing what they do.

I have owned a very nice, early model Cetme (with the stainless steel formed receiver) that was super accurate. I have had a VZ2008 that was very reliable (cool design) and I have a Wiselite built, Century offered, Sterling 9mm carbine that I turned into a very nice SBR. Oh yeah, Uzi as well, for a LOT less money than the original would have cost me.

I actually sold my original Sterling produced carbine for something just south of 3K, right before Century started offering the their Sterling product. Good timing on my part as the Wiselite product is a very serviceable gun indeed.

Had some great surplus magazine and ammo buys from them too over the years.

I want to see them come out with an L85 copy. We haven't been able to touch English designs since the L1A1's got chopped up. Might be a tall order though, as the L85 is still current issue.

e.money83
April 27th, 2017, 12:24 PM
After the last couple ras47 I saw, it would take some proving before I bought new production stuff from century. There was peening on every contact point that it made the carrier and trunnion look like they were made it pot metal.

crackerjack
April 27th, 2017, 12:31 PM
After the last couple ras47 I saw, it would take some proving before I bought new production stuff from century. There was peening on every contact point that it made the carrier and trunnion look like they were made it pot metal.

emoney, I agree with you on the Century AKs. I don't think they are their best work. It is definitely a crap shoot, which is why every one hates them.

I did find their VZ2008 to be a great product. I definitely want another.

There is CHEAP....and there is GOOD. Seldom do the two intertwine. BUT, occasionally, as they say, even a blind squirrel finds a nut. But sometimes you can take a cheap base unit, improve with moderate upgrades and have a decent product. I think a soft trunnion on their AKs is a NoGO for me. I prefer the foreign made pieces on AKs. They been doing it a while. Romanian, Egyptian, Serbian, etc.

0utlaw
April 27th, 2017, 12:58 PM
I don't necessarily want one of their AK's I just want them loading up the market and driving down the prices. I feel like they are artificially high right now because of bans and restrictions, traditionally an AK cost about 2/3 of what an AR was going for so in theory basic AK's should be about $450 right now....good luck with that

crackerjack
April 27th, 2017, 01:02 PM
I agree Outlaw. And that is what Century does from time to time, help drive down prices. Reference my Sterling experience. Wonder if the same is happening with the Uzi? My "Centurian" product has held up well so far, but I know it ain't all that a real Uzi would be, especially if a full auto. I probably only have about 300-400 rounds through it. Hope it goes a whole lot longer than that.

Jafar
April 27th, 2017, 05:06 PM

Not far off, the front and rear trunnions are made from cast iron.

e.money83
April 27th, 2017, 05:26 PM
Damn shameful.

Dale Gribble
April 27th, 2017, 08:09 PM
The PSA Gen 2 AK's have a proper front trunnion as I understand it.

mattb
April 27th, 2017, 10:47 PM
Is capitalist dog weapon of scourge of corrupt western society. Is should be cause of shooting.

Evil_McNasty
April 28th, 2017, 08:46 AM
The way I understand it, and please correct me where I am wrong, is that the RAS was a complete Century build and thus it has shown the cracks and failures of cheap steel parts. But the kit builds that century has done are generally well run units. Everyone pisses on WASRs for offest sights and such, but they run liked a scalded dog. Century did well with those because the trunnions were built entirely in Romania.

Likewise, I have heard great things from other peoples cetme's and VZ's. Word on the street was that the newer Century AK with a gen2 milled receiver was really nice. Anybody here try one before?

e.money83
April 28th, 2017, 11:53 AM
If all century did was assemble it, it might be gtg. All the stuff they made in house has had major problems from what I've seen.

mattb
April 28th, 2017, 10:54 PM
Honestly, I build a better ak than they do. WASR = highly polished, hopefully functional, turd, but nonetheless

Dale Gribble
April 30th, 2017, 09:34 AM
I thought all Century did on WASR's was open up the maghole?

polebarn
April 30th, 2017, 10:03 AM
"Century Arms has un-narrowed the well. With a Dremel. In the dark. While they were drunk."

FLT
April 30th, 2017, 11:16 AM
Honestly, I build a better ak than they do. WASR = highly polished, hopefully functional, turd, but nonetheless

With a couple of rocks as tools and scrape metal to start with.

crackerjack
May 1st, 2017, 11:25 AM
With a couple of rocks as tools and scrape metal to start with.

Every monkey has to start somewhere....

This one worked in the demil department...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vssqb-0i2-A

polebarn
May 1st, 2017, 11:31 AM
I think that orangutan built my decks.