PDA

View Full Version : 9mm stepped brass, scrap it.

mapper
April 5th, 2017, 08:44 PM
I just saw this elsewhere

Also to AVOID brass made in this same manner besides Maxxtech, toss these headstamps into the scrap bin too.... Ammoload, IMT, FM marked brass, it is all made in this way with the sharp step in the casehead.
Another reason we inspect our cases prior to loading.
The link belowcshows a cross section of the case.
https://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=581481

http://www.carolinashootersclub.com/data/attachments/57/57314-a092c35ac4437f7827522250b1a1cd44.jpg

AUfish11
April 6th, 2017, 12:14 PM
Thanks for the info. Haven't seen this yet but something to keep an eye out for.

Cattle/Horses
April 6th, 2017, 12:52 PM
Mapper, I'm just wondering - why scrap it? What happens when reloading or firing the reloaded rounds?

e.money83
April 6th, 2017, 02:13 PM
I would think it's mainly the case volume being different is going to produce different pressures and need different powders than anything you are going to find recommended in any manual. Published information used in regular cases may be dangerous used in these cases.

SB
April 6th, 2017, 02:40 PM
Case splits where the step happens I think.

30plusretlaw
April 6th, 2017, 03:28 PM
Case splits where the step happens I think.

Yes, That's the main reason.

mapper
April 6th, 2017, 08:18 PM
assuming your die can size this with the step, which I think would not play well with dies,
Then you have reduced capacity, then the step where the brass thins out I'm thinking may crack/separate, then you would have to have the correct length bullet to seat in it.

9mm range brass is what 3-4 cents each.
Just does not seem worth it to me.

mattb
April 6th, 2017, 10:18 PM
Just from looking at the angles structurally, that sharp corner is going to create a stress riser in the case wall. That's bad juju; you can expect a failure there because math and science.

Evil_McNasty
April 8th, 2017, 08:47 AM
Wow, I have never seen that before. Thanks for the heads up

Dale Gribble
April 8th, 2017, 07:48 PM
I'd probably just load it, but my 9mm loads are not even close to the edge to start with.

mapper
April 9th, 2017, 11:04 AM
I can't imagine a standard die with a decap stem, size ball and pin not having problems when it hits that step.

Not counting reduced case capacity and concerns about separation and bullet length.

Just does not seem worth it to me save 3 cents on brass cost, and have additional issues that you don't have in standard brass.

Dale Gribble
April 9th, 2017, 01:39 PM
I can't imagine a standard die with a decap stem, size ball and pin not having problems when it hits that step.

Not counting reduced case capacity and concerns about separation and bullet length.

Just does not seem worth it to me save 3 cents on brass cost, and have additional issues that you don't have in standard brass.

I use a universal decapping die, it wouldn't even notice. And I don't think the expander on my sizing die goes down that far into the brass.