PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Different Guns

staffordm
February 19th, 2017, 09:08 PM
Hello All,

Is there anywhere or anyone who teaches a class on proper cleaning of different guns?

I have looked through youtube videos which is the first thing people tell me when I ask these questions.
This rookie though would like to sit down and take the time to learn from someone who is experienced and can teach the different parts of the guns.

I own two handguns, one rifle and one shotgun.

Thanks.

12bhunting
February 19th, 2017, 09:32 PM
Maybe contact a local gunsmith and pay him to show you? Honestly you tube mixed with a little Google should be thorough enough though for your needs.

Countryboy27012
February 19th, 2017, 09:59 PM
Agreed. Just make sure it's a reputable smith.

I enjoy cleaning firearms, I'm just not as up to snuff as some of the others on this forum. If you can't find anyone, hit me up. I'll do the best I can to help you out.

AB
February 20th, 2017, 07:10 AM
The hardest part is getting the proper tools the first time. While it is true any bargain basement "Gun Cleaning Kit" with a few plastic jags, undersized rods, and polyester patches can get the job done, quality stuff makes the job faster and a bit easier. If I can find it, I have a list I created a few years ago with the stuff I use, where I got it, and how much it cost circa 2012.

While I'm looking for that list, I will see if I can dig up a thread I started about "How clean is clean?"

What specific rifle and shotgun are you running?

I'm at Talon a few times a week. Give me some notice if you can meet me there and I will run you through some basics and show you my "travel kit."

AB
February 20th, 2017, 07:20 AM
https://forum.capitalcitygunforum.com/threads/2483-How-Clean?

Re-reading that thread reminded me of something. Be sure to buy enough bore brushes, because they wear out faster than you might think. A new brush cuts faster and better, and they wear out quick. I only use a brush 5-8 times and toss it out, they are cheap compared to the time it takes to clean with a worn-out brush.

AB
February 20th, 2017, 07:24 AM
Item Vendor Est Price

Dental pick set Harbor Freight $4.00
Tweezer set Harbor Freight $6.00
Cotton balls Supermarket $4.00
Cleaning rod (x2), pistol* Pro-Shot Products $32.00
Cleaning rod, short rifle Pro-Shot Products $22.00
Spear tip jag .22-6mm Pro-Shot Products $4.00
Slotted tip jag .22-.45 Pro-Shot Products $4.00
Spear tip jag .40 Pro-Shot Products $4.00
Slotted tip patch holder .22-.45 Pro-Shot Products $2.50
Rifle length .223 bronze wire brush Pro-Shot Products $2.50
Pistol length 10mm/.40 bronze wire brush Pro-Shot Products $2.50
5.56/.223 AR Chamber brush Pro-Shot Products $5.00
Action/Chamber cleaning kit Pro-Shot Products $20.00
.38-.45 Caliber Flannel patches Pro-Shot Products $7.00
.22-.270 Caliber Flannel patches Pro-Shot Products $6.00
Double-end nylon gun brush Pro-Shot Products $3.50
Double-end steel gun brush** Pro-Shot Products $3.50
Bronze gun brush (like a metal toothbrush) Pro-Shot Products $3.50
0000 steel wool** Hardware store/Wal-Mart $4.00
Break Free CLP Gun Store/Wal-Mart $10.00
Break Free LP*** Gun Store/Wal-Mart $10.00
White cotton cloths (or old t-shirts) Hardware store/Wal-Mart $8.00

Total (all prices approximate and from 2/2012) $168.00

*Only one pistol rod is actually required. The second pistol rod is for convenience so time is not spent unscrewing the jag to put the brush on. Price indicated is for two rods.
**If you choose to add this to your kit, be very careful what it gets used on. The steel brush/wool should not be used on non-steel surfaces (of which there are many on our weapons) because of the damage they can cause. There are exceptions, but caution must be used.
***Break Free LP is a lubricant designed specifically for fully automatic weapons and will say so on the bottle. It has no carbon solvent in it and is a different product than standard Break Free we are all used to. Both will be needed.

This kit could be replicated for less money by buying products in kit form or using lesser quality vendors (Pro-Shot makes great stuff, but it is costly).

Other things to consider:
Bore brushes should only be used a few times before being replaced. They wear out quickly.
A chamber brush is an absolute necessity for the AR platform, as is an appropriate rod to turn it with.
A single piece cleaning rod is better than a segmented one.
The handle of the cleaning rod should turn freely to allow the brush to follow the rifling.
Holding a cotton ball in a pair of large tweezers can generate a lot of scrubbing force and put that force in a specific place.

AB
February 20th, 2017, 07:26 AM
That's the original list. Instead of Break Free LP, I started using RIG +P grease as my lubricant of choice on bearing surfaces. I still use the LP on my AR bolts (the only place I still use it) to keep them slick in the carrier.

Greg Kulbick
February 20th, 2017, 10:19 AM
You motherfuckers and your clean guns...

Cattle/Horses
February 20th, 2017, 12:07 PM
^^^ Who you talking to Willis?

Tack Driver
February 20th, 2017, 01:13 PM
I'll attest to Cattle having no idea what you're talking about.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

FLT
February 20th, 2017, 01:38 PM
I use to have a hard time shooting a dirty gun, but I've gotten much better at it as the years have gone by. ;)

Schmidty
February 20th, 2017, 01:46 PM
Hello All,

Is there anywhere or anyone who teaches a class on proper cleaning of different guns?

I have looked through youtube videos which is the first thing people tell me when I ask these questions.
This rookie though would like to sit down and take the time to learn from someone who is experienced and can teach the different parts of the guns.

I own two handguns, one rifle and one shotgun.

Thanks.

Hello...

More guns were worn out by cleaning..... than by shoot them.....:cool:

...many .22's have became very inaccurate by never cleaning them at all....

When you use old military round that are corrosive you must scub the bore with hot soapy water...rinse...dry and then oil it....

You'll be ok now....:)

Dale Gribble
February 20th, 2017, 01:48 PM
What guns are you specifically trying to clean? Many things make one gun different from another. Finish changes what may be a good cleaner for one vs another. When you clean a gun, you must re lube it, and that varies from gun to gun. What you even clean varies from gun to gun, some guns need to be spotless (some of the cheaper semi-auto shotguns come to mind) and other do well with a lot of fouling.

Cattle/Horses
February 20th, 2017, 01:57 PM
...many .22's have became very inaccurate by never cleaning them at all....

The Winchester 62a I referenced as one of the 3 guns I would want when SHTF; it was used in Frosty Morn Meat Packing for 40+ years. In their heyday they processed 100+ steers and 300+ hogs a day, 6 days a week. It was used, best I'm told, to put every one of these animals down. I'm told the only cleaning it ever got was a good dose of 3in1 oil on an as need basis.

I'd wager it is still about as accurate an any NIB 22.

Side note; The old meat packing plant is now a tomato processing plant. About once a year they have a drain stop up that has to be cleaned out and they are still getting old spent 22 short and LR spent casings out of the drain system.

Tack Driver
February 20th, 2017, 02:00 PM
The Winchester 62a I referenced as one of the 3 guns I would want when SHTF; it was used in Frosty Morn Meat Packing for 40+ years. In their heyday they processed 100+ steers and 300+ hogs a day, 6 days a week. It was used, best I'm told, to put every one of these animals down. I'm told the only cleaning it ever got was a good dose of 3in1 oil on an as need basis.

I'd wager it is still as accurate an any NIB 22.

Side note; The old meat packing plant is now a tomato processing plant. About once a year they have a drain stop up that has to be cleaned out and they are still getting old spent 22 short and LR spent casings out of the drain system.

That's a hell of a pedigree on that gun. That's approaching 5 million rounds though. You buy that?

Cattle/Horses
February 20th, 2017, 02:06 PM
That's a hell of a pedigree on that gun. That's approaching 5 million rounds though. You buy that?

It LOOKS LIKE HELL Tack. No It was given to me 20 years ago by the old man that ran Frosty Morn in Quincy.

I seriously doubt it was the only one they ever had, but that's the story. If you look at it, the story is believable! LOL

Tack Driver
February 20th, 2017, 02:07 PM
It LOOKS LIKE HELL Tack. No It was given to me 20 years ago by the old man that ran Frosty Morn in Quincy.

I like it.

Bring it to a Fireside Chat. I'd love to see it.

Schmidty
February 20th, 2017, 02:57 PM

I'd wager it is still about as accurate an any NIB 22.

Wow...that's an incredible amount of rounds as someone else has mentioned.

Have you ever cleaned it?

12bhunting
February 20th, 2017, 03:11 PM
Wow...that's an incredible amount of rounds as someone else has mentioned.

Have you ever cleaned it?

Cattle clean guns? Shit. Last time I seen his carry pistol that bitch had pocket lint and sunflower seeds falling out of the Magwell...

Cattle/Horses
February 20th, 2017, 03:16 PM
Cattle clean guns? Shit. Last time I seen his carry pistol that bitch had pocket lint and sunflower seeds falling out of the Magwell...

Hey, It was Pinon nuts, but it still ran.

staffordm
February 21st, 2017, 10:25 AM
What guns are you specifically trying to clean? Many things make one gun different from another. Finish changes what may be a good cleaner for one vs another. When you clean a gun, you must re lube it, and that varies from gun to gun. What you even clean varies from gun to gun, some guns need to be spotless (some of the cheaper semi-auto shotguns come to mind) and other do well with a lot of fouling.

I have a smith and Wesson M&P 22, a 20 gauge stoeger over and under and a Ruger American Predator Rifle in .223