PDA

View Full Version : Feeling blue

SB
February 14th, 2017, 08:46 PM
Fired up the 650 tonight for the first time. Having a few issues.
Not decapping in the sizer die. Have it run down as far as I can, still not wanting to remove the spent primer consistently.
Thinking I may have to go with Dillon dies.

The primer advance isn't consistent either, seems to be a little sticky.
Is there a lube point for it?

Making good ammo though, once a few little things are smoothed out it will pump out a ton of ammo.

Cattle/Horses
February 14th, 2017, 09:06 PM
Glad you got it up and running.

JMW4570
February 14th, 2017, 10:03 PM
Have you run the die down or the internal decapping pin down as well? Have you replaced the decapper pin? Have you checked the primer advance for debris? They can get powder under them and hang up. Give Dillon a call they will help you out. Jim

SB
February 14th, 2017, 10:28 PM
Adjusted the die up a little, works better now.
Watched the lube video, should work better after the primer advance is greased.

AB
February 15th, 2017, 11:10 AM
If I tighten the bolts down too much on the primer assembly, mine will drag as well causing the failure to progress you described. I tighten mine down and then run the indexing arm manually to feel for drag. If I detect any I back the bolts off just until the drag frees up. As far as the decapping goes, most progressive presses don't like CCI primers just so you know in advance. They tend to grab the decapping pin and get re-seated on the downstroke, but the Dillon dies have a spring loaded thingy that is pretty good at snapping them off. I've never had any problems with Winchester (which is what I always use now).

SB
February 17th, 2017, 08:04 PM
Appreciate it. Considering just depriming before tumbling so I can use the stainless pins. Would help some.

SB
February 17th, 2017, 08:24 PM
Anybody used the Frankfort arsenal tumbler? Seems like a good idea. But not sure about the quality.

Dale Gribble
February 17th, 2017, 08:57 PM
Anybody used the Frankfort arsenal tumbler? Seems like a good idea. But not sure about the quality.

It works great for me, however I will be upgrading to larger pins in the tumbler.